Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Winter tire packages are up on Tire Rack for 2018 A5/S5

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an update, worked with Tire Rack and ordered Michelin X ICE X13 245x40 R18, 97H XL with Sport Edition P3 18x8 winter wheels. Will get next week. Hope I like them. Tire Rack folk were quite helpful.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob9
As an update, worked with Tire Rack and ordered Michelin X ICE X13 245x40 R18, 97H XL with Sport Edition P3 18x8 winter wheels. Will get next week. Hope I like them. Tire Rack folk were quite helpful.
Be careful with Sport Edition wheels, apparently they are on the soft side
Old 09-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmm...wish I had known this earlier. Tire rack guy recommended them, said he uses them personally. Tires have shipped so I guess I'll just have to keep a close eye on them and hope for the best.
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm...wish I had known this earlier. Tire rack guy recommended them, said he uses them personally. Tires have shipped so I guess I'll just have to keep a close eye on them and hope for the best.
Thanks for the info.
I have a set of older ones and while they are not the most attractive, I have no issues. I am in Ohio and drive from Detroit to Louisville and Indy to Pittsburgh hitting pot holes and poorly maintained winter roads for several years.

You should be ok, but try to stay away from the potholes and curbs to be safe.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, thanks
Old 09-20-2017, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the info.
I ordered the same exact set as you tonight even after reading the link. You cannot beat the price of the rim, IMO the design of the rim looks really nice, and even if you end up damaging the rim (and I think that is a real big if) the whole rim is only $118 to replace. I don't take the car off road and I am always looking for road hazards like pot holes. Come to think of it, I cannot remember the last time I hit a big enough pothole that caused me to think there might be any type of damage.

Time will tell, but I am not that worried about it. After all, I will only have the rims/tires on during the Winter months and as soon as we get above 45 degrees the 19" OEM rims and Summer only tires go back on.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm a pretty careful driver( with just occasional moments of quick launch terror) and my winter usage will be low. Cruising twisty backroads with the top down in dynamic mode but not pushing it too hard is my thing. So as heisnuts points out, short money and will have Cavo 19's back on early spring.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair enough. I'm sure most, if not all rims will make it just fine. I've never had anything but OEM rims - well, I did have a gorgeous set of steelies on my VW Passat so, I'm a bit more nervous about going to non-OEM alloys.

That being said, I'm finalizing my winter tire set up with a local shop here in Toronto.

18in BBS SX Rims in Crystal Black, with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s. Should look something like this (my car is Daytona Gray, this is Monsoon Gray - the configurator on TireRack doesn't have Daytona as a colour choice.)
Old 09-27-2017, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So we don't get a lot of snow here in Maryland and in the past I've gotten thru winter with all season tires just fine.
I saw these tires,Sumitomo HTRA A/S PO2, on the Tire Rack site and for the price they do pretty well rating wise.
Anyone have any experience with Sumitomo tires?
Old 09-30-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have 19 in summer tires?

Because I've always wondered.. the exact same diameter for a 18 inch wheel is 225/45/18 and not 245/40 R18. I wonder if it can cause issues with the Quatro system (even if all 4 tires are the same).

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Winter tire packages are up on Tire Rack for 2018 A5/S5