Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2.7T auto: problem with reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7T auto: problem with reverse

Ok so I did a quick search, and I have a few ideas what the problem might be, but I'm not conclusive, so here it is:

I have a 2001 2.7T Allroad automatic tranny. When I put the car in reverse, it backs up, but if I give it gaz, it's almost as if the car is in neutral. So I can back up slowly on a flat surface (without pushing the accelerator), but if there's a slight incline, it won't move (it'll actually go down the slope). If, on the same slope, I put the car back on Park and then back on Reverse, it'll motion upwards a bit, and then I'll feel something that 'disengages' and then I'm back to neutral feel. No weird noise that I could hear, no gears crunching or anything (which makes me hope it's not the whole tranny that's messed up).

prognosis?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Burbrocks
Ok so I did a quick search, and I have a few ideas what the problem might be, but I'm not conclusive, so here it is:

I have a 2001 2.7T Allroad automatic tranny. When I put the car in reverse, it backs up, but if I give it gaz, it's almost as if the car is in neutral. So I can back up slowly on a flat surface (without pushing the accelerator), but if there's a slight incline, it won't move (it'll actually go down the slope). If, on the same slope, I put the car back on Park and then back on Reverse, it'll motion upwards a bit, and then I'll feel something that 'disengages' and then I'm back to neutral feel. No weird noise that I could hear, no gears crunching or anything (which makes me hope it's not the whole tranny that's messed up).

prognosis?
Torque converter going belly up. Common enough failure that they revised the part in mid 2004. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I understand that the repair is pretty costly.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is that the problem is with the "B Clutch" in the transmission. See pages 14 and 15 of the Audi 01V and 01L automatic transmission teaching guide. Page 14 says:

"Suppose you have a 01V/5HP19 transmission that’s
slipping in reverse. There are no other problems.
The solenoid application chart shows
shift solenoid N88 is energized. We can rule
out solenoid N88 as the cause since it’s also
energized in 1st, 2nd and 5th gears. These
gears are okay. When we look at the clutch
application chart, we see that clutches B,D and
G are energized, However, clutch B is energized
only in reverse. This would be the most
likely cause of the problem."
Attached Images   
Attached Files

Last edited by Mr. Timewise; 01-05-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you're hosed, mate

My old XJ8 had the same problem, hopefully the allroad is a cheaper transmission rebuild than the jag (which was $5k).
Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

um, sounds like your trans limp mode to me. check it with vag, i bet its that easy.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

If the tranny is in limp mode doesn't it invert the gear selection indicator on the cluster?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeaaa, sooooo, back from the garage. Not a fun conversation.

Anyway, thanks for your replies. Mechanic says it's pretty common for these 2.7Ts, something about some sort of rod in the tranny going through some sort of faulty drum. Says when they repair they change the part for one from a 2.8. Whatever it is, there's no going around the fact that the tranny has to come down and go to rebuild.

So either I part with around 2500 of my canuck loonies, or I put it for sale cheap. Anyone interested in a 6000$ 2001 Allroad in Montreal that won't back up too good ;-)
Old 01-06-2011, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would check with these guys about a rebuild....http://erikssonindustries.com/
the remove & reinstall should be around the $1200 range.
Explain the symptoms, they may be able to offer a second opinion as to the problem as well.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

its a soft limp mode protection feature. my car did the same thing.the rod he talking about is a electronic actuator, that i bet is fine.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had similar issue possibly,reverse was like a 5 speed but if i shut off and re-start sometimes would drive normal no tranny codes.Turned out to be neutral safety switch.

Quick Reply: 2.7T auto: problem with reverse