Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Chip upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip upgrades

Okay, I've been reading this board and looking at the APR, Garret, etc., etc. chips that are on the market. I have an '01 with tip. What I want to know is, which one is best. Help!
Old 11-29-2001, 09:13 PM

Default Another question on the same topic (long)

I am currently in the market for my next car, I have decided against an suv, and decided on a wagon, I love the s6 (who dosent) but really want a turbo for the tuning options, alas no 2.7t avant in the us (a6, I know s4, too small) and now I have fallen for the all road. I rember reading sum where that with turbo controlers there were problems with overboost and fuel ratios at altitude (except for ones with altitude censors) are there any issues with this sort of occurence with chipped cars.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Chip upgrades - long

For what it's worth, here is some info I got from an abt/AMS rep. Very insightful - and concerned that I get the right chip for my ar. Below are two exerpts that I though were informative on the topic of safe chipping for a Tiptronic ar...

"If you have a Tip, make sure to get a chip that limits torque to less than 310/320lb ft. AMS/abt has destroyed two Tips ( $7000 each ) in engine testing to determine safe torque levels."

"The chip maker with the least problems was AMS. Unlike some other brands mentioned, I have never seen an engine or transmission failure with an AMS chip. They always test the chip in the real world in a controlled fashion before releasing it to the public. There are no upgradeability issues ( free upgrades ), because the chip is complete and does not need to be tweaked at a later date. If they do have a failing, it is being slow in getting a product to market because they perfectionists. I can go on at length about details of all the different chips out there, but AMS seems the most conscientious with regards to dealing with someone else's car."

I want to chip my ar, but have decided to wait awhile to see more longterm info on reliability of engines that are chipped.

Good luck with your research.
Old 11-30-2001, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you run for any length at altitude, you should have a chip with boost somewhere between

stock and normal tuner peak boost. Longivity of the turbos can be reduced if you run full boost at altitude all of the time.

Just imagine. If the air is thinner, but the turbo/boost controller is looking for a certain psi, the turbo has to work longer and harder to try and get the boost. In the end, turbo life is reduced.