Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Get them while they lasts Touareg V10 TDI 50 state legal (long)

Old 12-23-2006, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get them while they lasts Touareg V10 TDI 50 state legal (long)

For the torque fanatics in you, your wet dream has come true...

For limited time only: Touareg V10
Volkswagen seizes on the chance to sell in all 50 states a potent SUV powered by a modern diesel engine that announces the road ahead
- Ezra Dyer, New York Times
Saturday, December 23, 2006

Europeans get all the cool diesels. A few months ago in Italy, I drove a diesel-powered Saab 9-3 convertible that did 125 mph on the autostrada and returned 45 mpg at more relaxed speeds.

Modern diesels get hybridlike fuel economy without the complexity and wonky driving experience of a full hybrid.

With monstrous torque, they're relaxed on the highway and don't need to rev hard to keep pace in stop-and-go traffic. And lest you think diesels represent some kind of worthy hardship, a grim penance in the name of economy, consider that 67 percent of the BMWs sold in Europe are diesels. So why don't we have more of them here?

It all comes down to emissions laws -- especially California's. Getting a diesel engine to meet California's rules is harder than getting a salary concession out of Scott Boras. New York, Massachusetts, Maine and Vermont also adhere to California standards, which takes a huge chunk of the market out of play. To paraphrase the Soup ****, then, "No diesel for you!"

So how is it possible that right now you can walk into a Volkswagen dealership in Vermont -- where the haze in the air doesn't necessarily come from tailpipes, if you know what I'm saying -- and buy a Touareg SUV stuffed with a take-no-prisoners, 310-horsepower twin-turbo diesel V10?

It's all about timing.

Volkswagen took a look at its calendar and realized that the last few months of 2006 presented an opportunity to sell its monster V10 Touareg in all 50 states. (The Touareg V-10 TDI was last available in 2004 as a 45-state model).

The opportunity arose after the United States finally rolled out ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel in September. The low-sulfur fuel permits the use of a particulate filter, which, in combination with the cleaner fuel, allows the engine to meet California emissions standards -- 2006-level California emissions standards.

The regulations ratchet up to a new degree of severity on Jan. 1, at which point the mighty diesel will once again be motora non grata in Manhattan, N.Y., and Manhattan Beach (Los Angeles County).

Still, however, VW can sell 2006-model Touareg V10s in all 50 states into 2007, until the ones it has imported (750 or so) are sold off. The company estimates that the supply will be gone by March.

Audi, BMW, Ford, DaimlerChrysler, Honda, General Motors and VW are among the companies working on 50-state diesels for introduction in 2008 and 2009, so the '06 Touareg diesel can be thought of as a preview of good things to come.

With 553 pound-feet of torque, a prod of the accelerator sends the Touareg surging forward, often with a chirp from the front tires as the all-wheel-drive system shuffles power to cope with the thrust. While the V10 isn't as quick to 60 mph as the 350-horsepower gasoline V8 (7.5 vs. 7.1 seconds, according to VW), it feels as if it wouldn't be much slower while, say, towing a Boeing 747 down a runway. In fact, VW recently engaged in a bit of showmanship by doing exactly that, using a V10 Touareg to tow a 155-ton 747 about 150 yards.

While the V10's official tow rating of 7,716 pounds isn't any higher than the V8's, the V10 is the one that would give your horses whiplash back in the trailer. (As I am very much against horse whiplash, I recommend towing only boats and inanimate objects with the Touareg V10). As you'd expect, the diesel gets moderately better fuel economy, 22 mpg on the highway to the V8's 19.

One other thing: The V10 costs a bit more than the V8. As in $16,030 more -- $59,690 versus $43,660. So there's really no objective reason to buy this thing. You just have to want it because it's cool, it's exclusive and it puts a big smile on your face when those turbos light up and your 5,924-pound SUV rockets forward as if it weighs less than a Miata.

With respectable fuel economy and prodigious power, the 2006 Touareg V10 TDI is a foreshadowing of America's diesel future that you happen to be able to buy right now. Even in California.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 Volkswagen Touareg V-10 TDI
What is it? Four-door, midsize, luxury SUV

How much? $59,690 base, $63,540 as tested with $3,350 Navigation Plus Package (navigation system, rear camera and 11-speaker audio system) and $500 trailer hitch

What's under the hood? A 5-liter diesel V10 with twin turbochargers (310 horsepower, 553 pound-feet of torque); six-speed automatic transmission

EPA mileage: 17 mpg city, 22 highway
Old 12-23-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Even though I'd like the idea of having a strong and powerfull Diesel but here is something

that you should know about the Touareg; first of, my Friend from Germany just left after a shopping trip, he stayed at my place and we discussed cars. He is a Pro in that Business, buys and sells mostly Italian exotics, but on ocassion a Touareg and others get thru his place as well.

Since I was interested in this car he gave me some good advise; as VW found out,the roof section on the Touaregs have not been treated regarding to specs, meaning it will see the first rust in just a matter of time.
The Diesel engines drop left and right based on some serious design flaws. The 2 Touareg he sold are back, one new and one used; both with engine failures which has to be fixed by VW.

Since these failures are called significant, an Oversea Container ready for shipping was held back in the Bremerhafen port and the Cars inside were literally raped for parts and spare engines, just to keep up with fixing other cars.

I'm just the messanger here but my Buddy has never put one over me so I trust his statement. In his opinion - try to stay away from the V10 Diesel and the Touareg at all, it will encounter mid to long term problems that could eat up the wallet.

We all know that the quality of Diesel fuel in the US isn't the greatest, 50 parts of Sulfur per Cubic Inch vs. 5 parts at European Gas stations.
And since most newer engines are a bit more sophisticated unlike the older Jetta Diesel engines, it is tough to make the right call on a buying decision. Either way, I'd love to have this V10 but I'm not convinced it will last. Good Luck!.....and Please, don't kill the messenger ;-)
Old 12-23-2006, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lots of dealers have them on their lots, and at close to $70K, they're going to sit a long time...

Sure, 59K base, but by the time you add the stuff an expensive luxury SUV should have, like leather and sunroof, the sticker on evey one I've seen have been $69K+. You can get any Q7 or Porsche Cayenne S for less than that. Or a Mercedes ML320 tdi with a turbo diesel for under %$50K.

Dealer friend mentioned that the VW dealers' counsel is asking VW for a $10,000 dealer rebate to help move the Touareg diesels.