Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Rear diff codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear diff codes

Hello all I was wondering if someone knowledgeable could help me.

I've been suffering for a year with a thudding / rumbling sound from the rear of my 2.5tdi 6speed manual allroad. Only happens occasionly and will stop when I come to a stop and pull away again.

I removed the prop and had it sent away to have the center bearing and cv's replaced as they were worn. A lot of the vibration has gone generally, but the thudding is still here so it looks like it's the rear diff. (checked the rear hub bearings and driveshafts and they were all ok..)

I got a low mileage diff off a breaker from a 2.5tdi auto but it's got a different code to the one on the car. (i'll update this thread with the codes when I get home).

So my question is does anyone have a list of the rear diff 3 digit codes and the final drive ratios? I assume if the ratios are different i'll kill the front diff/gearbox very quickly?

Worst case i'll try and find a gearbox repair place, hand them both diffs and tell them to make one good one, but i'd rather not have to do that..

Would really appreciate some help!

many thanks
Mark
Old 05-12-2011, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The differential gear ratios are definitely different for an automatic and a manual. I think you're going to have to find a used diff for a manual in good condition, or buy a new one, or have the one on your car rebuilt and not with parts from the automatic-sourced differential.
JMO.