Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Squeek

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeek

Anybody else have or had a squeek under the rear seat that sounds like an army of mice? If so, how did you cure it?
Old 02-12-2003, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Squeek

I have been dealing with this noise as well.

I sprayed silicon lubricant into the pivot points of the rear seat backs and that has cured it... well for the last 4 days at least.

Good luck.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default While troubleshooting a similar squeak I moved the seat to the extremes of its travel...

to have a good look under there. Once I did this, I felt like an Audi Dealer. I had to tell myself "can not reproduce."
Old 02-12-2003, 10:28 AM

Default you mean where the seats fold? Also How the hell does the rear

come out, the Manual says "pull up and out" but all that happens is the seat bends!!!
Old 02-12-2003, 06:30 PM

Default I have not looked into removing the seat itself

but I simply folded the rear seatbacks forward and sprayed (carefully) the hinges / pivots of the seatbacks. No more sqeek over rough pavement.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:20 PM

Cool I'll try that.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:51 AM

Default I have had the same issue in my '02...here's what I found...

I have found that this squeek noise on/near the right rear seat is actually caused my the net partition contraption which is attached to the seat. If I remove this from the seats and put the seat backs up, the noise is gone. Completely...zip, nada, no noise...

Once it is slid back onto the seats, the noise is back. I have tried various bumpers to 'tighten' things up - some success, but then I will get a squeek from the other side...I HATE THESE KIND OF NOISES!!!!!

Still working on finding out what the heck is rubbing....

Let me know if you have any success!
Old 02-13-2003, 10:14 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default I cured an annoying squeak,...

...which your post reminded me I had, by using white lithium grease from a spray can wiped on with a paper towel. (WD-40 isn't my lube of choice.)

The squeak was from the hook latch where the rear seat back (this was the driver's side) hooks itself in place. Must have been dust on the post the hook clicks onto, or something.

But thanks for the reminder. Last night I read this and went out and greased the thing. This morning, I was back to peace and quiet.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:31 PM

Default I played the net partition game

I thought the same, that the net was the culprit. I removed it and I found the added weight of the partition was rocking the seat backs, enhancing the squeek. Removal reduced the occurance but not the noise. Only after I sprayed the silicon lube did it finally disappear.

Also before the final fix I tried greasing the latches as HPH did but that was not my noise... but now they work really good!
Old 02-16-2003, 02:12 PM

Default Hey rr_allroad!!

Thanks a TON for the advice on fixing the rear seat squeak!! I never would have thought to silicone spray the actual seat pivot points. Did this yesterday and vwalla!! Noise is totally gone. I can sleep much easier at night now thanks to you !! That was driving me nuts.

I was totally convinced that it was something with the net partition thing...

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Squeek