Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

2021 E-Tron drive malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2021 E-Tron drive malfunction

Hello, I am not sure if this is the right place to post. I got a new 2021 premium plus Etron on December 23rd. So I have had it less than 2 weeks. I really loved the acceleration and how fast it could go. Today I pulled out into a 2-lane very fast paced blind curve which many cars do (although I normally don’t) to enjoy its power. Then ALL HELL BROKE LOSE! I accelerated out into the oncoming traffic and the car literally seized up!! IT stalled out. All these lights came on like DRIVE MALFUNcTION, ALL WHEEL DRIVE malfunction and I ALMOST dIED. Thank God the guy coming fast on the road behind me was able to brake in time!! I put the car in neutral then back in drive and it very, very slowly started to move and I limped along til I could pull over. It was absolutely terrifying. I texted the dealer who told me to turn off and on the car. I did that for a few minutes, turned it back on and tried to start driving again. It started choking on itself like it was driving and braking at the same time!! WTF this car cost 82k!! Many more error messages like key malfunction, presense malfunction, lane assist malfunction, predictive ... malfunction! Then they told me to call Audi assistance! I had gotten some big rigamarole about how great Audi assistance was and you would get a tow and a loaner and it was so easy. NOT AT ALL! Was on hold for twenty minutes then rude dealers said they have no service on sunday, and I can’t tow it there and get a loaner they dont’ deal with it... and then the tow truck didn’t come for 90 minutes. I turned the car off for that time and finally decided to drive it home. It can no longer accelerate the way it used to but it does very slowly continue to increase speed and I could get home. Lots of errrors!
This was so terrifying and traumatic. Dealer said “oh probably just a software bug!” I mean WTF I almost died!!!! Car accelerating and braking at the same time! Has anyone had any malfunctions on 2021 Audi like this? OH and the 222 of range is BS, once you drive a mile it drops down to 195.
I hate this car so much. I am just lucky to be alive. What should I do now?
Old 01-03-2021, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How terrifying, I'm sorry that you went through that, I cannot image the fear! I cannot even begin to presume what caused the issue, but I would put a TON of pressure on the dealership, contact Audi USA and possibly seek legal council just in case your dealership doesn't do the right thing.

As for the range, the winter, cold weather and usage of your heater and other equipment will have a substantial impact on range. That's not just Audi, that's all EVs.

I wish you the best of luck, please keep us updated on developments from the dealership.
The following users liked this post:
DadAudi (01-05-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 689 Likes on 500 Posts

Have the dealer pull all of the codes ASAP. We won't know much more until this happens, but get them pulled and them make them fix whatever would cause the codes.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 340 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by monifa
Hello, I am not sure if this is the right place to post. I got a new 2021 premium plus Etron on December 23rd. So I have had it less than 2 weeks. I really loved the acceleration and how fast it could go. Today I pulled out into a 2-lane very fast paced blind curve which many cars do (although I normally don’t) to enjoy its power. Then ALL HELL BROKE LOSE! I accelerated out into the oncoming traffic and the car literally seized up!! IT stalled out. All these lights came on like DRIVE MALFUNcTION, ALL WHEEL DRIVE malfunction and I ALMOST dIED. Thank God the guy coming fast on the road behind me was able to brake in time!! I put the car in neutral then back in drive and it very, very slowly started to move and I limped along til I could pull over. It was absolutely terrifying. I texted the dealer who told me to turn off and on the car. I did that for a few minutes, turned it back on and tried to start driving again. It started choking on itself like it was driving and braking at the same time!! WTF this car cost 82k!! Many more error messages like key malfunction, presense malfunction, lane assist malfunction, predictive ... malfunction! Then they told me to call Audi assistance! I had gotten some big rigamarole about how great Audi assistance was and you would get a tow and a loaner and it was so easy. NOT AT ALL! Was on hold for twenty minutes then rude dealers said they have no service on sunday, and I can’t tow it there and get a loaner they dont’ deal with it... and then the tow truck didn’t come for 90 minutes. I turned the car off for that time and finally decided to drive it home. It can no longer accelerate the way it used to but it does very slowly continue to increase speed and I could get home. Lots of errrors!
This was so terrifying and traumatic. Dealer said “oh probably just a software bug!” I mean WTF I almost died!!!! Car accelerating and braking at the same time! Has anyone had any malfunctions on 2021 Audi like this? OH and the 222 of range is BS, once you drive a mile it drops down to 195.
I hate this car so much. I am just lucky to be alive. What should I do now?
1. Calm down. Yes, annoying, but the fact that it's expensive doesn't automatically mean stellar service. You don't always have good correlation between how good/bad a car is and how good/bad a dealer is. That's lagely the same across manufacturers as the same dealership groups sell/service all of them.
2. Find another dealer. They should undestand that what to them is "some random guy broke down" is/seems a lot more dramatic to the new owner, and they should have handled the communication accordingly. On the other hand, be nice to dealer staff when you call them (irrespective of how poorly you think they are doing their job). Antagonizing morons hardly ever helps ... and they already have your money.
3. No manufacturer and hardly any dealer can help much with towing. Those are independent contractors, paid by the mfg/insurer and chosen based on the most favorable terms (i.e. lowest price for a baseline service). It's not exactly a glamorous industry and, short of paying exorbitant rates for some exotic car, there won't be anything fancy when they come scoop you from the side of the road.
4. All of those messages mean rather little. One malfunction will trigger lots of other apparent ones. Once the root cause is fixed, the rest of them go away. Plenty of messages on this forum that explain why that is (not eTron-specific).
5. Software bug ... eh, no. Some broken electronic module, quite likely or perhaps a powertrain issue (less likely since you could limp home and it's a 2021).

Have them come pick it up, don't drive it to the dealer, let them fix it and enjoy the car. Lots of us, myself included, have gone through similar teething issues and the cars have been fixed to our satisfaction and are fine (and I just knocked on wood after typing this).

Oh, and the first few miles are absolutely no indication of the average consumption (lots of info on this forum regarding that as well). The car does indeed easily reach the stated range if not driven in anger. With favorable weather and reasonable speed (e.g. 65 mph on the freeway) it will often exceed it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tronification:
MauriceMonroe (01-15-2021), Megetron (01-04-2021), xxEdwinxx (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 167 Likes on 95 Posts

Last edited by drcollie2; 01-03-2021 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Sorry to hear that this happened.

This is why I keep OBD Eleven Pro Next Gen with me now.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the Drive System and All-wheel Drive Malfunction errors a while back. Dealer ended up replacing the rear motor. No issues since then *knock on wood*.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ction-3003124/
The following users liked this post:
Phyllis Roy (01-07-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I almost died, laughing. Take a pill and calm down.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 539 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I almost died, laughing. Take a pill and calm down.
Wow! Must say that the failure put you in a really bad situation. As others have said, don't worry too much about the vast array of warnings and flashing lights. When a module develops a defect it affects multiple systems and affects a lot of communications between the modules. Your situation reminded me a bit of the time years ago when I test drove a BMW i3--my first experience in an EV. They had me enter the freeway at a spot where the onramp and freeway started a pretty steep uphill climb. I entered the freeway and moved into the center lane. I wanted to adjust my foot a bit, so I lifted it off the pedal and I STOPPED in the middle of the freeway. That was (unknown to me at the time) my introduction to "single pedal" driving.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Following up

Thank you for your posts. Some more helpful than others... If you haven’t driven in LA traffic, I don’t think you fully understand the danger I was in. I was pulling out into a double blind curve on a 2 lane coastal highway w cars coming at me from both sides when the car stalled out in the middle of the 2 lanes. For the update: the dealer said the engine is defective and needs to be replaced! It will take at least 11 days. They confirmed the car does not accelerate anymore. It is a lease. I am worried this is a recall that hasn’t happened yet and I am worried to get back behind the wheel... will keep you posted. Thanks for the support.
The following 2 users liked this post by monifa:
calbear92 (01-04-2021), Megetron (01-05-2021)

Quick Reply: 2021 E-Tron drive malfunction