Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Adaptive Cruise Assist

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise Assist

Auto makers have all these different names for lane keeping, and they change all the time, and per region, so you never know what you're going to get. Some actively center you in the lane for long stretches, some ping pong you between the lines, and some just beep when you go over them. Anyone know where "adaptive cruise assist" on the E Tron, in the US, is on the spectrum? Doesn't _really_ matter to me, but it would be nice to know, and dealers are generally pretty useless for tech stuff.

Here's a demo on the new Q3. Is this the same system in the E Tron?

Old 04-07-2019, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pkulak
Auto makers have all these different names for lane keeping, and they change all the time, and per region, so you never know what you're going to get. Some actively center you in the lane for long stretches, some ping pong you between the lines, and some just beep when you go over them. Anyone know where "adaptive cruise assist" on the E Tron, in the US, is on the spectrum? Doesn't _really_ matter to me, but it would be nice to know, and dealers are generally pretty useless for tech stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHLyur74ToQ
I have a 2018 SQ5. The Audi adaptive cruise control with traffic jam assist and active lane assist is very similar to what the video shows for the new Q3. It works very well. I rarely use the active lane assist but love the adaptive cruise control with traffic jam assist. I would expect that the e-tron would be very much the same.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GiftCard
I have a 2018 SQ5. The Audi adaptive cruise control with traffic jam assist and active lane assist is very similar to what the video shows for the new Q3. It works very well. I rarely use the active lane assist but love the adaptive cruise control with traffic jam assist. I would expect that the e-tron would be very much the same.
Oh fun. Thanks! Is traffic jam assist the one where you're hands off everything below 40 mph?
Old 04-07-2019, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh fun. Thanks! Is traffic jam assist the one where you're hands off everything below 40 mph?
Yes
Old 04-07-2019, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

It's Tesla Autopilot level essentially. Audi is slowly bringing these systems up to speed with the competitors.

Adaptive cruise assist

The adaptive cruise assist (ACA) assists the driver with longitudinal and lateral control over the entire speed range – substantially enhancing comfort on long journeys, in particular. It incorporates the functions of adaptive cruise control, traffic jam assist and active lane assist. Depending on the model, the ACA uses the radar sensor in the nose of the vehicle, the laser scanner, the front camera and the ultrasonic sensors to permanently monitor the vehicle’s surroundings.

Depending on the sensor set, the system detects lane markings, roadside structures, vehicles in adjacent lanes and vehicles driving ahead. The ACA uses this information to derive a virtual vehicle path and “guides” the vehicle within it. The system also includes helpful steering intervention so that the vehicle remains in the center of the lane. In some models based on the modular longitudinal platform, the system uses also the laser scanner: The ACA detects if the lane is too narrow to allow side-by-side driving and enables offset driving through narrow stretches.

The adaptive cruise assist maintains proper speed and following distance via targeted acceleration and braking. The car automatically adapts its speed to the traffic situation and the route, for example at curves and cross-ways. In stop-and-go traffic as well as traffic jam situations, the ACA can bring the car to a complete stop. Depending on the duration of the stop, the car can start automatically again.

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...e-systems-7184
Old 04-07-2019, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
It's Tesla Autopilot level essentially. Audi is slowly bringing these systems up to speed with the competitors.
It looks like the mobileye based Autopilot 1 system. It looks better than I was expecting but it likely won't be updated to add more features like the newer Tesla systems.

​​​​​​
Old 04-08-2019, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone know where "adaptive cruise assist" on the E Tron, in the US, is on the spectrum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHLyur74ToQ
Based on my ~1h drive of the e-tron on the autobahn near Munich in February, I believe that the ACC on the e-tron is very similar to the one shown in this video. It is clearly more advanced than the one on our '14 A7 (with ACC and lane assist)
Old 04-08-2019, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know where "adaptive cruise assist" on the E Tron, in the US, is on the spectrum?
Same ADAS technology as the new A8 / Q8. Camera + RADAR for lane-keeping and adaptive cruise control. No assisted or automated lane changes.