Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Car suddenly has half the normal range

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Car suddenly has half the normal range

So as of yesterday, now with a full charge it registers that we only have ~112 miles of range. Anyone else have a similar issue? Car "acts" fine otherwise. Taking it in tomorrow to have them look at it.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

This happened to me all summer. The day I started using the a/c it chopped the range in half. Using the heater and heated seats will likely do the same.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you take it in for service? What did they say?
Old 11-25-2019, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

See this post

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...2979602/page2/
Update: took the e-tron in this past Tuesday. Fortunately, it sounds like Audi was fairly hands on with the dealership in helping them identify the problem. After reviewing the data I collected and running the vehicle diagnostics it turns out one of the modules in the battery pack went bad. Sounds like that module and the two adjacent ones need to be taken out for the repair. The deanship has some high voltage suit being sent in for the repair (they thought they had the right one, but it was for the old A3 e-tron) along with a machine from Audi that will recalibrate the three modules before they can go back into the battery pack. Hopefully everything will be here next week for the repair. In the meantime we are still driving the car around and it's doing just fine, albeit with half its usual range.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't get over 180ish miles on 100% charge...thinking of calling dealer
Old 11-25-2019, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by expressJS4
Welcome to the club. I only saw 204 the first couple of days of ownership. I did recently take a "long" road trip of about 260 miles and got 2.5kwH/M which after I went to an EA charger and after charging to 100% the range showed 218 miles! That didn't last long as the range quickly went down back to new normal. Bottom line is that the range after charging is only a best guess based upon your recent driving. How long that memory is I have not been able to determine.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by expressJS4
What is your long term m/kWh?

If you drive faster, or drive slow and use lots of cabin heat in cold weather, m/kWh will be low. your car takes the past m/kWh times the usable size of the battery in kWh to predict future range.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Thinking hard about replacing the wife’s 2014 Q7 with an eTron. Majority of her driving is city, but our kids play travel sports, sometimes involving road trips of 4+ hours. Are all of the vehicle’s systems powered off the same batteries that power the motors? All this time I’ve been thinking a separate traditional car battery powered some of the routine stuff like climate control, radio, etc.

Originally Posted by WetEV
What is your long term m/kWh?

If you drive faster, or drive slow and use lots of cabin heat in cold weather, m/kWh will be low. your car takes the past m/kWh times the usable size of the battery in kWh to predict future range.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

I was consistently getting over 200 on a 100% charge but now it’s down to 170/180 on a full charge. Given we’re effectively in winter I’m suspecting it’s the cold weather and nothing to panic over yet
Old 12-04-2019, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Thinking hard about replacing the wife’s 2014 Q7 with an eTron. Majority of her driving is city, but our kids play travel sports, sometimes involving road trips of 4+ hours. Are all of the vehicle’s systems powered off the same batteries that power the motors? All this time I’ve been thinking a separate traditional car battery powered some of the routine stuff like climate control, radio, etc.
If you have EA chargers at your destination and along the way, then it's doable. Nonetheless, driving to the event, finding parking, getting the kids started, eating when done and then driving back is already enough. Trying to fit a couple of charging sessions along the way may be quite annoying, unless you can find EA-grade fast chargers located conveniently along your route. For now, EA is the only game in town when it comes to properly-fast charging and I don't see a lot of signs that anyone else is investing in 150kW charging stations.

Also, your generation Q7 is an outstanding long-distance cruiser, don't be too quick to let go of it! They will pry my 2015 TDI out of my cold dead hands, long after the eTron will have been replaced.

Quick Reply: Car suddenly has half the normal range