Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Decision time!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bruinmac
No satellite radio in Teslas.
My X had it.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bruinmac
Where do I start with this post?! The E-Type? Really? I had an Audi 1000 that spent a lot of time in the shop too but I don’t use that as a barometer of build quality.

The I-Pace braking is fine and in fact, you are not going to use the friction brakes a lot if you select high regen because the car can slow to a stop. Actually you have to readjust your driving style whenever you drive an ICE car because you forget letting go of the accelerator doesn’t slow the car down.

SiriusXM trial for e-tron is 3 months just like in any new car, whether Audi or Jaguar. No satellite radio in Teslas.

We’re in Southern California, the glass roof is coated with an anti-UV/anti-IR filter. It is fine. It let’s light in but not the heat. It’s actually the sun that comes from the side windows and front windshield that heats up the car. All Model 3 and Model X Teslas come with glass roofs, too.

Just test all the cars, and get the one your most comfortable in. If the e-tron floats your boat, get it.
Anything from JLR is so far from Audi build quality it’s not even funny. Anything that comes out of the JLR plants whether it’s Land Rovers, Range Rovers or Jaguars will have problems because the r&d and engineering just isn’t at the level of Audi. I’ve had 4 Audi’s, A3, A5, A6 and A7 each for 3 years with no issues on any of them . I know people with discovery sports and Range Rover sports and they constantly have reliability issues. We just aren’t very good at building cars in the UK. They look cool but I would be very nervous about a new JLR platform being reliable as they can’t make ICE cars reliable. Fit and finish is only as good as the design and engineering. Audi make sure both are right, JLR have never gotten it right. Close but nowhere near German automotive manufacturers
Old 05-12-2019, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wynnema
Anything from JLR is so far from Audi build quality it’s not even funny. Anything that comes out of the JLR plants whether it’s Land Rovers, Range Rovers or Jaguars will have problems because the r&d and engineering just isn’t at the level of Audi. I’ve had 4 Audi’s, A3, A5, A6 and A7 each for 3 years with no issues on any of them . I know people with discovery sports and Range Rover sports and they constantly have reliability issues. We just aren’t very good at building cars in the UK. They look cool but I would be very nervous about a new JLR platform being reliable as they can’t make ICE cars reliable. Fit and finish is only as good as the design and engineering. Audi make sure both are right, JLR have never gotten it right. Close but nowhere near German automotive manufacturers
It’s made by Magna Steyr in Austria just like the G-Wagen, the 5 series BMW, etc.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I-Pace issues is not with built quality but with software. How JLR and their dealers manage the situation make it worse. New cars being delivered without the latest software updates?
Old 05-12-2019, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wynnema
My last car was a Jaguar XE. Superb car... when it worked. In less then 4 years, my car was in the shop for at least 7 times. The car before that was an Audi, visited the dealer once for regular maintenance.
There is absolutely no way I would buy the first electric car Jaguar ever produces. I've taken the gamble with Audi (and I'm loving my E-Tron), but would never dare to do that with JLR.
I've driven the I-Pace. The difference in interior finishing compared to the E-Tron is striking. And what really set me off, was the MMI/Multimedia interface. It's soooooooo slow on an I-Pace. And very confusing. Considering the price range of the I-Pace: completely unacceptable (I mean, come on, how much does a decent graphical GPU and processor cost ?)
Old 05-13-2019, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with fideba, my first Jag was a XF the first year it came out. A beautiful car white/white. It was in the shop so often for everything electrical related. Sun roof motor, wiper motor, B&W speaker wiring.......To top it off the dealer loaner cars were Dodge eco cars! JAG has had electrical issues for decades (Lucas) and looks like they still can't get it right. Too much frustration with the brand
Old 05-15-2019, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been very fortunate to have my local dealer let me keep a loaner for a couple days to help me decide. The car is much faster, so much so that first time I felt my cheeks pulling back I think the first one was in economy mode or something. So I've been trying to engage boost however I can never get it past 100% into the boost range. It's that normal? Per the UI it seems like that part is supposed to be unlocked when you enter sport mode...like allow for the needle to get into it past 100%

It's raining here in California and it's interesting to note how the sensors, cameras and mirrors become less useful, if not useless, not unique to this car.

Did a charging session at a local 50kw EVgo charger and it was pleasant. 30min to charge to 93% after ~70mi driving mixed city/hwy for $10.

Bad news is range. My avg was 3.1-3.4 km/kWh (that is so weird how they didn't put the numerator in mi by default), which is a range of like 166-175mi. Granted I was occasionally accelerating for grins. Tmrw I'll do a full commute.

Did the massage, very nice. HUD again is awesome. Love the sounds in the car, sounds like the future has arrived.

Thinking about the controls I love the screens, however you're inundated with steering column and wheel controls...I wish this could be simplified.

OMG the rolling resistance of this car is ridicuously low. Many times I thought it was in cruise control because the thing would just keep going w/o slowing down, at speed! I suppose part of this is due to the sheer mass of this car.

I love that creep mode is off. I'm not happy that one pedal driving requires you to enable it each time you start they car, and even then at max it's only 50% of what you can achieve with braking...needs to be more levels and sticky.

Love you can turn off car and it goes into park and applies parking brake for you.

Love the led animation on rear when locking car...however it doesn't always do it for some reason.

Love ambient lighting inside.

Yay for rear wiper and auto wipers (remember I'm coming from a 2001 car lol).

The folding mirrors barely fold. Less than Q5. Speaking of which this thing looks so much bigger than a Q5 looking at them next to each other.

Ok, will report any new findings tmrw, and final decision!
Old 05-16-2019, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

That consumption shows you the effect of spirits driving and, perhaps, rain on range. It's pretty impressive that you've been able to keep the e-Tron for some time. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LessCode MoreBeer
So I've been trying to engage boost however I can never get it past 100% into the boost range. It's that normal? Per the UI it seems like that part is supposed to be unlocked when you enter sport mode...like allow for the needle to get into it past 100%
There is a very distinct detent that the accelerator needs to be pushed through to get to into the boost range. I wasn't prepared for this and "floored" it to only 100% the first time.

I am anticipating delivery of my Edition One tomorrow after a slight delay in transport. I've been up and down on this car since my original reservation date 9/16. In the end, I was won over by my test drive and the real world experience of people here and on other sites. The refinement of this car is incredible and the real world range is usable. I had planned to spec a Premium Plus, but a combination of revised residuals, my dealer's willingness to work with me, and the pure luxury of it put me back in a Prestige E1. In the period between cancelling my original reservation and reserving a second time, I realized that there is no other BEV choice for me. For all my thinking out loud on the forum, I absolutely require the quality of the e-tron. Much more than I require 250 miles of range. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by LavaGrau_A3; 05-16-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a very heavy heart I cancelled my E1 at Stevens Creek Audi in SJ. It just doesn't work for my particular scenario. Btw that extra click for boost was cool. Ty for the tip!

If you're looking for one ask Cassandra and she'll treat you very well.

Quick Reply: Decision time!