Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

e-Tron at drive-in movie night

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default e-Tron at drive-in movie night

Has anyone done a test how much battery % or range will you use per hour leaving your e-tron running with A/C and FM radio ON while parked? I am planning on watching a movie in one of those drive-in theaters but most of them are long drive into rural places with no fast charging around so good battery management may be a key on those type of trips. Summer days are still hot but the evenings are not that bad and I do not expect high temperatures but in case it gets uncomfortable (or you need to keep annoying bugs out) you may need to run air conditioner for several hours :/ Would that drain your battery much? What is the power drawn by the A/C in Eco Mode anyway? Using recirculated air vs fresh could probably extend the range or running fan only but I guess the A/C should not use that much battery, right?

Follow up winter question: how about running the heat for 5-6 hours without driving the car? Any tests on that?

Tip: Walmart offers free tickets on drive-in movie tours: details https://www.thewalmartdrivein.com/
Old 08-16-2020, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

Guess'n no more than a couple of miles per hour. You can check this by firing up the A/C and radio in the driveway and see the usage. Haven't been to the drive in for more years than I want to admit.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Haven't read anything on the e-Tron, but with Tesla's having camp mode there's a lot of user data on their power consumption. Obviously not a one-to-one comparison, but people report power consumption of anywhere between 1-2.5kw/hour, with the higher ranges being using the heater in cold climates and AC use being on the lower side. For a summer evening drive-in, I feel like you could plan on losing 2kw/hour and have a nice safety buffer.

As far as 5-6 hours, I'm curious if an e-tron would even do that? Would it continue running for an extended time if no one was in the drivers seat?
Old 08-16-2020, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 167 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Krufka
Has anyone done a test how much battery % or range will you use per hour leaving your e-tron running with A/C and FM radio ON while parked? I am planning on watching a movie in one of those drive-in theaters but most of them are long drive into rural places with no fast charging around so good battery management may be a key on those type of trips. Summer days are still hot but the evenings are not that bad and I do not expect high temperatures but in case it gets uncomfortable (or you need to keep annoying bugs out) you may need to run air conditioner for several hours :/ Would that drain your battery much? What is the power drawn by the A/C in Eco Mode anyway? Using recirculated air vs fresh could probably extend the range or running fan only but I guess the A/C should not use that much battery, right?

Follow up winter question: how about running the heat for 5-6 hours without driving the car? Any tests on that?

Tip: Walmart offers free tickets on drive-in movie tours: details https://www.thewalmartdrivein.com/
Why would you bother to go to a Drive-In Movie and have the car all buttoned-up with the A/C on? Part of the "experience" is being outdoors, windows down and all that. May as well just stay home and watch Netflix if you want to be in A/C.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I can think of one reason where I live, it's currently 100 degrees out at 8:30pm with an expected low of 90 overnight.😎
Old 08-16-2020, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 167 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by lkfoster
I can think of one reason where I live, it's currently 100 degrees out at 8:30pm with an expected low of 90 overnight.😎

Old 08-16-2020, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie2
Why would you bother to go to a Drive-In Movie and have the car all buttoned-up with the A/C on? Part of the "experience" is being outdoors, windows down and all that. May as well just stay home and watch Netflix if you want to be in A/C.
this is why: https://www.metallica.com/encore-drive-in-nights.html
you can't get it on your Netflix "experience"

The following users liked this post:
e-tronDriver (08-18-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only knocked down about 3% on mine. NBD
Old 10-31-2021, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you mean the AC will not turn down by itself after an hour when you park your car. Some people had mentioned that the E-tron will turn the AC off after one hour of no movement of the car.

Last edited by marklin; 11-03-2021 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You can get 2 Ryobi chargeable fans, Those do

the job and are small.

Quick Reply: e-Tron at drive-in movie night