Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi e-Tron
Reload this Page >

Electrify America app and terrible pricing change

Audi e-Tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-Tron SUV.

Electrify America app and terrible pricing change

 
Old 06-04-2019, 06:51 AM
  #1  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 348
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrify America app and terrible pricing change

The Electrify America app is in the app stores now. However, what's going on with the pricing? It is state dependent and there is a "pass+" plan but it appears to have gotten a massive 3x price increase. Almost $1 per minute? Are they trying to sell more Tesla's?

"Pass" prices:


"Pass+" prices:

Last edited by alexlear; 06-04-2019 at 07:52 AM.
alexlear is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 06:54 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 348
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thinking about this further. Some of my charging stops will be for 45+ minutes to get a full 200+ miles of range. That will cost around $40 for 200 miles of range. That's the equivalent of $8/gallon of gas for my 40mpg Chevy Volt. If we compare to a 24mpg Audi SQ5, it's about $4.8/gallon. These prices seems unreasonably high.

Last edited by alexlear; 06-04-2019 at 08:00 AM.
alexlear is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 09:21 AM
  #3  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY Metro
Posts: 120
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Never mind, totally misread the thread.

Last edited by bugout; 06-04-2019 at 09:24 AM.
bugout is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 09:22 AM
  #4  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 100
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by alexlear View Post
Thinking about this further. Some of my charging stops will be for 45+ minutes to get a full 200+ miles of range. That will cost around $40 for 200 miles of range. That's the equivalent of $8/gallon of gas for my 40mpg Chevy Volt. If we compare to a 24mpg Audi SQ5, it's about $4.8/gallon. These prices seems unreasonably high.
The rates are identical for Washington State. Outrageously high. Granted, most of my charging will be done at home, but still, it will be tough for them to make the economic argument with numbers like these!
S7maybe is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 09:33 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY Metro
Posts: 120
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

What a difference a day makes..

bugout is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 09:46 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Even if they are a dollar a minute, why are we freaking out, exactly? Are people going to rely on these things for daily charging? In that case, I'd stick with a Q8 for the time being. If it's for occasional road trips, is $30 a couple times a year really going to be the dealbreaker for you? I'd prefer them to be priced to be profitable, so we are assured a steady stream of maintenance and new construction, and so that people _don't_ use them as daily chargers when they don't need to. Tesla is running into huge congestion issues with all the free charging they've been handing out over the years.
pkulak is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 09:58 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 660
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Think of it this way, the 1000 kWh we get for free could now be worth about $500.
LavaGrau_A3 is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 10:08 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 660
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pkulak View Post
Even if they are a dollar a minute, why are we freaking out, exactly? Are people going to rely on these things for daily charging? In that case, I'd stick with a Q8 for the time being. If it's for occasional road trips, is $30 a couple times a year really going to be the dealbreaker for you? I'd prefer them to be priced to be profitable, so we are assured a steady stream of maintenance and new construction, and so that people _don't_ use them as daily chargers when they don't need to. Tesla is running into huge congestion issues with all the free charging they've been handing out over the years.
Agreed. There's a convenience factor associated with DC charging. Going to be a relatively rare event for me at least. Also consider that fuel along the main corridors is usually priced with a premium as well. Although at a real gas station you get to experience Corn Nuts and "the facilities".

Very little competition in the 150 kW space right now. That will change. In the meantime, I'm happy to have EA stepping up so quickly.
LavaGrau_A3 is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 11:39 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 348
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I agree with all being said here with lots of good points and I have a few more thoughts:

1. A 3x increase overnight in price isn't ok with me under any circumstance. This feels very "bait & switch" to me.

2. This all comes back to the full charging/efficiency ecosystem. We chose the least efficient long-range EV and that will cost more. Similar to buying the V8 version of a car. If a more efficient fast-charging large-battery vehicle uses EA, it will be cheaper.

3. Electrify America was set up as part of the dieselgate settlement. Charging prices that are more expensive than gas will disincentivize EV adoption. I agree with them being able to make money from their investment but this doesn't seem like a good outcome in the short term.

4. Porsche Taycan owners are getting a heck of a deal as the pricing currently stands, however, I'm sure they will add a 300kw+ ($1.99/minute) tier when that car comes out.

Last edited by alexlear; 06-04-2019 at 11:51 AM.
alexlear is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 01:13 PM
  #10  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 660
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by alexlear View Post
I agree with all being said here with lots of good points and I have a few more thoughts:

1. A 3x increase overnight in price isn't ok with me under any circumstance. This feels very "bait & switch" to me.

2. This all comes back to the full charging/efficiency ecosystem. We chose the least efficient long-range EV and that will cost more. Similar to buying the V8 version of a car. If a more efficient fast-charging large-battery vehicle uses EA, it will be cheaper.

3. Electrify America was set up as part of the dieselgate settlement. Charging prices that are more expensive than gas will disincentivize EV adoption. I agree with them being able to make money from their investment but this doesn't seem like a good outcome in the short term.

4. Porsche Taycan owners are getting a heck of a deal as the pricing currently stands, however, I'm sure they will add a 300kw+ ($1.99/minute) tier when that car comes out.
I guess I haven't been paying attention to the pricing until now, so if that is indeed a threefold increase that is surprising and a bit disturbing. Perhaps the rates were held artificially low while Cycle 1 was built out? "Soft open" pricing so to speak.

How do the new rates compare to home charging? For me in CA, pretty favorably. Ignoring session and membership fees and based on 150 kW (2.5 kWh/minute), the old rate of 35 per minute is about 14 per kWh. That is well below the rate I pay at home of 22 off peak. At the new rate of 70 per minute you're paying about 28 per kWh. That sounds like a reasonable premium given the speed and costs associated with DC charging (only 4 more than my peak rate). Pass+ looks to be a no brainer at $4/month and no session fee.
LavaGrau_A3 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrify America app and terrible pricing change


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: