Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

EPA Range Released: 204 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by pkulak
Well, it's not really much of a premium though, right? Maybe a couple grand more than a comparable Q8? Especially after rebates.
You can’t compare against a Q8 as the E Tron sits between a Q5 and Q7 which are more than a few grand cheaper. Regardless, this is an electric car and can’t be compared to gas so this is in direct competition with Tesla and is Model S / Model X pricing and the fact that Audi decided 200 miles was acceptable when the competition is offering more mileage for similar money.

I’m not cancelling my order yet until I see what the leasing costs are but if they’re anything what’s being posted in other threads then I think it’s the nail in the coffin
Old 04-04-2019, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by pkulak
Well, it's not really much of a premium though, right? Maybe a couple grand more than a comparable Q8? Especially after rebates.
Depends on how you look at it. An e-tron Premium Plus with cold weather and driver assistance is $80,140. A Q5 Prestige with cold weather and 20" wheels is $56,990. An SQ5 Prestige with cold weather, full leather, and S Sport package (air suspension) is $68,440. A Q8 Premium Plus with cold weather, driver assist, and air suspension is $79,090. IMO an e-tron is most comparable in size to a long Q5 with performance between a Q5 and SQ5. The e-tron does have a better quality interior (better than Q8 IMO) and the latest technology. If price wasn't a factor I'd choose the e-tron as I only drive ~500 miles a month so range doesn't matter much to me. As long as range isn't a make it or break it decision, I think the e-tron is the best all around package at this time.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by hrc1079

I’m not cancelling my order yet until I see what the leasing costs are but if they’re anything what’s being posted in other threads then I think it’s the nail in the coffin
Just quickly looking online, a Model X lease seems to be $1400+ and an I-Pace $1300+. I wouldn't expect the e-tron to be much different, but we will have to wait until cars actually arrive.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am retired so range means little, if anything, to me. But if it did, might this be an example of it doesn't really make much of a difference -- on a trip of 1,000 miles, a quick glance at the numbers seems to indicate (if I figured it correctly) that the e-tron would need to be charged 5 times and the Tesla Model S, 4 times. Another way to look at this might be that if you drive either vehicle 250 miles round-trip to and from work everyday, won't both vehicles need to be charged once? Does this difference in range really make enough of a difference that it should so greatly influence a person's buying or leasing decision. What matters to me is comfort, style and all the bells and whistles that comes with the Audi. Is this just a case of being able to say that "my range is longer than yours?" LOL
Old 04-05-2019, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by alexlear
ABRP (abetterrouteplanner.com) will need to update their consumption values for the e-tron. The EPA figure represents a mixed driving consumption of 83.5kw/204miles (410wh/mi). However, I've been overriding the "alpha" default (377wh/mi) with a reference 65mph value of 425wh/mi. That's more consistent with the highway consumption we've seen from video reviews.

On a side note, the EPA MPGe (city/highway/combined) is 74/73/74 MPGe so you probably won't get any better range in town than on the highway.
All of the videos demonstrate less consumption at slower speeds. Also, in city driving there is much more recuperation and very little on the highway. Audi has always stated that up to 30% of range comes from recuperation. Also, highway speeds mean more air resistance. I'd be very surprised if there is not considerably more range city versus highway.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by hrc1079
Interesting....... this tells me they knew it was not going to go down well and used a more favorable rating system in order to get people to pre-order the car. The day the EPA results come out and you just happen to have this nice little video ready to release as well.

Yes, I don’t do 200 miles in a day but the fact of the matter is you’re charging a premium for this car and then had down this lame *** mileage number. Audi should’ve studied Tesla’s battery tech more because this is a complete fail.
I can certainly relate to this disappointment. I am test driving a Model 3 tomorrow. I'm going electric one way or another. My TDI is for long trips The fact that this gets over 200 mile range is probably not too bad, considering what Audi was trying to accomplish. The e-Tron is large, heavy, has large wheels (although I ordered 19s), lots of electric powered tech, powerful sound system and ambient lighting. This all results in electric consumption. If you want this stuff, it will cost, in terms of cost and electricity consumption. If your primary concern is range and efficiency, a Model 3 is more appropriate, although a lot more spartan. On average, I suspect the e-Tron will have similar range to the i Pace. Of course, I suspect driving style is going to have a major impact on range. Coasting as much as possible is key and letting off the accelerator early when approaching stops, etc. I'm not saying drive slower than speed limit, but driving style is huge. This is what I learned during my time with a Jetta Hybrid. If you aren't willing to change behavior, your range will suffer.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Very disappointing
Old 04-05-2019, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alexlear
It's even lower than expected, unfortunately.

Range in this category really only matters for highway travel. 204 miles is definitely the bare minimum. This was probably tested with specs for the 19 inch aero wheels so I expect the edition one/21" wheels do provide even less range.
Very disappointing range, my purchase decision is in limbo now... Love the E-Tron, but man, the consumption is even higher than I expected, and Tesla (which I do not like) has been offering some crazy incentives. I might have to wait for the Gen 2 EV's, cause not going to buy a Tesla, and I-Pace and E-Tron are just too thirsty at high speed. Damn... Very disappointed!!
Old 04-05-2019, 06:04 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Ha. This way Audi can do nothing else but drop the buffer a bit for next model year and now have 225 mile range. Genius.
Kinda like saying some models have 420HP then changing nothing and they suddenly have 450HP. When they really had 480HP all along. LOL
Same ol tricks new tech.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

I think all these concerns and expressions of disappointment are a little puzzling.
There are no competing products. If you want a premium Audi SUV in electric, this is it.
I want an Audi first. Second I want a 200 mile EV. I think Audi understands this and has delivered. I’m happy.

All the TESLA fans should just buy a TESLA. You will always be disappointed with anything else. Just like I’d be disappointed with a TESLA.

Quick Reply: EPA Range Released: 204 miles