Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

EPA Range Released: 204 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by alexlear
It's the yellow "?" lens in the emblem, not under it:

Not sure what that "dot" is in the right ring. That is not an Edition One since it is not Daytona Gray. The photo I am posting is a Typhoon Gray Prestige that I took when they were making the rounds at the dealership. I don't see anything in the rings.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by njjoe
Not sure what that "dot" is in the right ring. That is not an Edition One since it is not Daytona Gray. The photo I am posting is a Typhoon Gray Prestige that I took when they were making the rounds at the dealership. I don't see anything in the rings.
That is the night vision camera.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure what that "dot" is in the right ring. That is not an Edition One since it is not Daytona Gray.
Pre-production Euro spec

Also, this:
Old 04-06-2019, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to an article in extrementech.com by Bill Howard dated April 19, 2016, our fellow-poster alexlear and others got it right when they identified the camera-sensor for night vision as being the device behind the Audi emblem in the grille. Interesting article: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...in-my-next-car
Old 04-06-2019, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
That is the night vision camera.
So you're saying they are putting night vision cameras in non edition one's? Cause that blue one cannot be an edition one.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

So you're saying they are putting night vision cameras in non edition one's? Cause that blue one cannot be an edition one.
Outside of the US
Old 04-06-2019, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

In UK, the limited (to 30) Edition one are in Antigua blue metallic paint
Old 04-07-2019, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

One thing I have not seen mentioned here is that the Tesla charges at 120 kW and the Audi charges at 150 kW (in both cases you need to be using the manufacturer’s charging infrastructure). So you can get to 80% charge in a Tesla in 40 minutes and in an Audi in 30 minutes. So for a long trip that requires 4 X 40 minute recharges in the Tesla you need 5 x 30 minute recharges in the Audi so you spend 10 minutes less at the charger with the Audi than with the Tesla.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
One thing I have not seen mentioned here is that the Tesla charges at 120 kW and the Audi charges at 150 kW (in both cases you need to be using the manufacturer’s charging infrastructure). So you can get to 80% charge in a Tesla in 40 minutes and in an Audi in 30 minutes. So for a long trip that requires 4 X 40 minute recharges in the Tesla you need 5 x 30 minute recharges in the Audi so you spend 10 minutes less at the charger with the Audi than with the Tesla.
Good point. Tesla is way ahead on the charging infrastructure though. I live in the Bay Area about 7 miles from downtown San Francisco and the closest EA charger to me at the moment is 40 miles away out in Pleasanton so it’s useless to me at the moment. Also, it doesn’t look like I’d make it down to LA from San Francisco on the EA network at the moment.

Audi currently has no argument for the poor mileage as the charging network just isn’t ready yet. It’s all well and good to say they’ll have a charger within 70 miles of each other but the car will hit the road in May and even if others come online in the next few weeks there are still none on my side of town being built (South Bay)
Old 04-07-2019, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
You need to account for vehicle efficiency and capacity as well. The Tesla will have a longer range due to capacity and efficiency, so it will likely increase the trip time gap significantly. You can use ABRP to compare different trips with different cars. Also, stopping for charging often requires getting off the highway and taking time to set up charging. It adds to the overall trip time.

Also, this only applies when the Electrify America network gets built up to a point where stations are as prevalent and reliable as the Tesla supercharging network. Charging speed is irrelevant if a charger location doesn't exist. As it stands right now, I literally can't drive East from my location and heading West forces me to drive slowly (55mph) and use the whole (undegraded) pack capacity to make it to the next EA station. In a Tesla, it's possible to skip every other station, if desired.

I think the e-tron will make a good daily use car. If the network gets built out, it will be even better.

Last edited by alexlear; 04-07-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: EPA Range Released: 204 miles