Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Etron e-mail

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AgMaple
I don't think I've seen anyone claim Tesla hasn't had an impact on the electric car industry. I believe they've had a huge impact, and have driven the major automakers to accelerate development of their offerings. What has been said is that Tesla has squandered their leadership and good will, and is quickly approaching bankruptcy because they haven't a clue how to mass produce automobiles.
+!
Old 09-19-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The brand is too valuable. Tesla probably can go bankrupt and might just do that, but a major automaker would buy up its assets and the brand and make real production automobiles with it.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BrandonLive

It means in July (and I think August, and almost certainly September) sales # times average selling price (e.g. revenue) from the Model 3 was higher than any other passenger car in the US.

That’s an absurd way to compare businesses. Tesla was investing capital in production capabilities, and is in a major early growth phase. GM is not. This is like complaining that Amazon has “lost” money almost every year or its existence. You’d only say something like that if you have no idea how business works.
Amazon is profitable & making $ (2018 EPS est: $151.93/share). Tesla's financial condition is documented fact, and undisputable. They cannot continue to exist as a standalone, public company on the cash burn/revenue generation pace they are on. Look at them without the supplier carried credit, and customer deposits counted as "cash on hand".....think: Lehman Bros. Enron. Worldcom. Global Crossing. Novastar. Washington Mutual. (Tech: CMGI, Iomega, Napster, Palm, Polaroid, ****, DeLorean, 3DFX, Kozmo, Flooz, Pets.com, GeoCities, WebVan, AltaVista, Syquest, Blockbuster, Minolta, Kodak, Vertu). You can "change the world, and soon after, cease to exist:

https://mashable.com/2012/12/14/tech...es-bankruptcy/

Actually understanding "business" helps me watch for things/trends like this: from a credible source in the Tech Industry, and a Tesla owner:

https://www.businessinsider.com/stev...d-tesla-2018-1

Goes to the heart of issues not only with the financial condition of the company, unstable mental condition of EM, and testimony of a tech savvy owner of 2 Teslas....

Old 09-20-2018, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Tesla is a pioneer company they proved that a practical sporty EV family sedan and SUV are possible. The Detroit, Japan, European majors came in with commitments only after they saw the potential. It's one thing to prove something is manufacturable it's quite another to be able to do it in mass scale consistently, reproducibly and in quality. Musk's (over)ambition to take on many things simultaneously did not help either. In early days of automobile industry there were many many manufacturers many with very unique models and technologies of the day they all failed or got merged with the Detroit 3. How many here remember Studebaker, Healy, Nash, Dupont?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kurtatx
The brand is too valuable. Tesla probably can go bankrupt and might just do that, but a major automaker would buy up its assets and the brand and make real production automobiles with it.
Exactly! I don't see the point of continuously talking about Telsa being under investigation or bashing Elon Musk. That has nothing to do with the point that many of us are making and the future of EV's. Telsa has already lit the fire. Other companies are heavily invested and as with the announcement of the e-tron, manufacturers are releasing vehicles. If anything though it shows just how far ahead Tesla was/is as no manufacturer has been able to beat Tesla yet pertaining to distance and Horsepower. Regardless EV's are the future, they are here to stay and I'm excited for the future. In the mean time, I've ordered my RS5 Sportback and i'm patiently awaiting its arrival and I'll definitely enjoy it until I jump in the EV game.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 18A5SB
Tesla is a pioneer company they proved that a practical sporty EV family sedan and SUV are possible. The Detroit, Japan, European majors came in with commitments only after they saw the potential. It's one thing to prove something is manufacturable it's quite another to be able to do it in mass scale consistently, reproducibly and in quality. Musk's (over)ambition to take on many things simultaneously did not help either. In early days of automobile industry there were many many manufacturers many with very unique models and technologies of the day they all failed or got merged with the Detroit 3. How many here remember Studebaker, Healy, Nash, Dupont?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States.
Studebaker, Nash, etc. Were not breakthrough technologies, they were just another style of an internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicle. There is hardly any relevance to a totally new mode of transport. Using this analogy you could also add Oldsmobile and Pontiac, those were killed off because the were just replicating the same vehicle under a different badge. Likely if GM branded Pontiac as the EV division, the name would exist and there would be a great market for those vehicles (eventually). Unfortunately, the large automotive manufacturers are run by decisions made in the boardroom. Tesla operates totally different Culture. Major decisions are made quickly and implemented into reality. This is why they are first to market in so many fields. You need to take risks to succeed. R&D is always ongoing and without this there would be no progress. In the future it will not be enough to just keep making the same vehicle with a battery, the market is much more tech savvy now, it needs an Elon Musk type to bring progress.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Tesla doomsday clock ticking.....click, click, click.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/te...isk-2018-09-28

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimcoll.../#2e0a643f8410

Adios Elon as CEO & adios to a ton of shareholder cap/market valuation. As they state, "If you're a Tesla shareholder banking on Elon, better start doing the calculus"

T.Rowe Price & Vanguard see the handwriting on the wall & are voting with their feet....run Forrest, run!
Old 09-28-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCTiger83
Tesla doomsday clock ticking.....click, click, click.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/te...isk-2018-09-28

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimcoll.../#2e0a643f8410

Adios Elon as CEO & adios to a ton of shareholder cap/market valuation. As they state, "If you're a Tesla shareholder banking on Elon, better start doing the calculus"

T.Rowe Price & Vanguard see the handwriting on the wall & are voting with their feet....run Forrest, run!
That's what many thought for Kavanaugh.
Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) we live in an era where the media is such a great influencer of a person's or a company's fate. Usually in the short term.
A while back everyone thought that this was only the case in Russia with Putin's control of the media. In North America we have Liberals, Democrats, Leftist, Right Wing - everyone has an agenda.
Today was just Elon Musk's turn. Tesla will live to fight another day. Do you really believe that this huge drop in stock value on one bit of news is really not a great stock play for many who will be buying at the low and ride a wave up over the next couple of weeks.
Just as the news was negative in nature today, it can as well turn positive in the next little while. The world is a greedy place and the underlying reasons for much of what happens is done for reason's outside the general public's control.
I would suggest you don't dance on Tesla's grave yet. It does not change the brilliant product or the forward thinking ideology of this progressive and still thriving company.
Personally, I hope to see a bump in the near future for the sake of my own holdings. :-)
Old 09-29-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by SQ5.TO
That's what many thought for Kavanaugh.
Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) we live in an era where the media is such a great influencer of a person's or a company's fate. Usually in the short term.
A while back everyone thought that this was only the case in Russia with Putin's control of the media. In North America we have Liberals, Democrats, Leftist, Right Wing - everyone has an agenda.
Today was just Elon Musk's turn. Tesla will live to fight another day. Do you really believe that this huge drop in stock value on one bit of news is really not a great stock play for many who will be buying at the low and ride a wave up over the next couple of weeks.
Just as the news was negative in nature today, it can as well turn positive in the next little while. The world is a greedy place and the underlying reasons for much of what happens is done for reason's outside the general public's control.
I would suggest you don't dance on Tesla's grave yet. It does not change the brilliant product or the forward thinking ideology of this progressive and still thriving company.
Personally, I hope to see a bump in the near future for the sake of my own holdings. :-)
Since we gone political here - I see SEC's case against Musk as a political hit job taking down a progressive liberal pushing renewable Solar Energy (Solar City) and electric vehicles both anathema to this administration. Musk is also responsible to bring this upon himself he got inebriated on is own hubris specially after the SpaceX successes. Tesla stock may just be a buying opportunity one it levels off.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 18A5SB
Since we gone political here - I see SEC's case against Musk as a political hit job taking down a progressive liberal pushing renewable Solar Energy (Solar City) and electric vehicles both anathema to this administration. Musk is also responsible to bring this upon himself he got inebriated on is own hubris specially after the SpaceX successes. Tesla stock may just be a buying opportunity one it levels off.
As the head of a "publicly traded company", Musk hasn't a clue on how to conduct himself in compliance with all of the various regulatory bodies that Tesla is accountable to. Thus, the board has no choice but to gradually remove him, step by step, from anything related to day to day operations of Tesla.

The stock will eventually be driven by the underlying financial fundamentals. They can only go to the well so many times while continuing to lose billions of dollars. Holders of TSLA common stock are at the bottom of the ladder when it comes time to operate out of Chapter 11. Secured lenders/creditors/suppliers and deposits will be paid at some negotiated cents on the dollar and the stock will be below $10/share. Not if, when.

Quick Reply: Etron e-mail