Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Garage Door Opener looses signal power/range

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Garage Door Opener looses signal power/range

I have found that the garage door opener seems to switch to a weaker signal after a few days. I have now reset the garage 3 times. Each time on the day I do the reset and the next day I can open the garage door from down the street then each time on day three it losses power and I have to drive right up to the door for it to function. Any idea what might cause this?
Old 06-23-2019, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Ever since they switched the transmitter to the mirror instead of the front of the car I've had nothing but trouble with garage doors. I finally managed to get my eTron synced to my door but it's not 100%. It opens and closes the door from inside the garage but will NEVER close it when the car is outside the garage door. What's even stranger is that as i'm driving down the street coming home it will open the door every single time. If I pull the car out on the road when reversing it still won't close the door. Using the remote transmitter inside the car won't work. I have to put the window down and hold the remote outside the window to get it to close. Kind of annoying!
Old 06-23-2019, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not sure if it's "losing power", but I have had to reprogram the garage door at least 4 times in the 5 weeks I have owned car. Quite annoying.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by njjoe
I'm not sure if it's "losing power", but I have had to reprogram the garage door at least 4 times in the 5 weeks I have owned car. Quite annoying.
I’ve had mine programmed for over a week and it’s been fine opening and closing EXCEPT in front of the garage directly. I’m looking at putting an extender in to see if that resolves the problem
Old 06-24-2019, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Mines been working fine the past week. The only annoyance is the GPS feature seems to be hit or miss if it comes up and when it does it only stays on the screen for 2-3 seconds. Hardly enough to react. Common Audi, I drive all the way get up to the Garage door and then at the last second change my mind? Why does this call up go away at all....
Old 06-24-2019, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by theo1000
Mines been working fine the past week. The only annoyance is the GPS feature seems to be hit or miss if it comes up and when it does it only stays on the screen for 2-3 seconds. Hardly enough to react. Common Audi, I drive all the way get up to the Garage door and then at the last second change my mind? Why does this call up go away at all....
It is a standard notification timeout. There should still be an icon on the upper left of the MMI.All you have to do is drag from top edge to pull-down the notifications, to get to it again.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Thx I will look for that.

WRT the garage door I have found that it works better if you hold down the icon a bit longer. After the first Haptic tick hold one Mississippi two Mississippi then release for second tick.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a LED light in your Garage door opener unit? They have been known to block the frequency from the cars command module to the receiver.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eone
Do you have a LED light in your Garage door opener unit? They have been known to block the frequency from the cars command module to the receiver.
You're correct! I found this out by doing some online searching last night. I took the globe out of my unit this morning and the door is now working flawlessly. Even my handheld transmitter was having issues closing the door so knew it wasn't just related to the Audi but couldn't for the life of me figure out why it was acting so flakey. Who would've thought a globe of all things was causing the problem.

Turns out that they make specific globes for Garage Door Openers
https://www.geniecompany.com/garage-...ight-bulb.aspx

Last edited by hrc1079; 06-27-2019 at 09:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Southpondcamp (07-02-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my e-tron two weeks now. As I back out of the garage, I'm finding it takes about 40 sec on start before the opener will work. On return it's more responsive but not 100 per cent. The Genie remote, which is new, works just fine.

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener looses signal power/range