Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

I'm in the club with an Edition One - Thoughts from a former Tesla owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Default I'm in the club with an Edition One - Thoughts from a former Tesla owner

Just got home from a nice long road trip from the dealer. 150 miles 90% between 70 an 80 mph.

This was an edition one that someone cancelled. There's plenty of them around if you make some calls. I was speaking with 11 dealers who had one to sell within 150 miles of NYC.

I was very late to the game and ordered a Prestige in Feb and didn't want to wait. As I stated in other threads, I couldn't get any dealer to agree to taking off the 1495 "rebate" for edition one pre-orders. That was only for people who ordered one from the beginning and had a price discrepancy. Out of all the dealers, I found one who was willing to make up the difference on my trade. Not a single one of them would knock a cent off the price.

A lot has been said already so I'll try to make some observations that haven't been covered yet. As a former Tesla Model X owner the difference in quality is astonishing. This is truly a luxury SUV. Infotainment is top notch, The seats are incredibly comfortable (That massage!! Wow!). It is so quiet compared to the Tesla at highway speeds. It really is night and day. The ambient lighting is so well done it really makes it feel like a car from the future. The infotainment screens are super high res it makes carplay a whole new experience. The gray ash wood trim is gorgeous.

The Tesla M.O. is basically "Let's wow them with the performance". I had the 100D, so not the top model, but power in a strait line is night and day in favor of the Tesla. That's the only advantage for me. I don't go on many road trips so I don't care about the supercharger network. Tesla customer support is astonishingly bad. God forbid you ever need a part. You'll wait months.

After watching all the e-tron videos over the last few months, and finally driving the thing today, I understand what Audi is trying to do with the e-tron. They don't want people who already have an EV. They're trying to lure in new people. There is no 1 pedal driving or anything close to it. The way Audi does regenerative is when you brake like you would in a normal car. Except when you hit the brakes it doesn't activate the calipers unless its an emergency braking situation. The initial braking is activating the regeneration in the motors to slow the car down. You can also activate regen by tapping the left shift paddle. I personally don't get it. I got a taste of almost one pedal driving with the Tesla and I liked it. Driving the e-tron like a normal car isn't exactly a chore though. I'm on the fence with how I feel about the regen. I'll give it a couple months and I'm sure I'll get used to it.

A couple of nice surprises: The e-tron is the first Audi and the first non-bmw to have wireless Apple CarPlay. Automatically connects when you get in the car, and you can drop the phone in the wireless charger "phone box". I was concerned when the manual stated the wireless charger was only 5 watts but it managed to keep my iPhone XS Max fully charged while running Waze.

Also, I think we can now confirm why we don't get a heated steering wheel. The sensor for "active lane whatever" in the steering wheel is capacitive touch. On the highway it's just as good as "auto pilot". You can just rest your hand on the wheel and it'll keep you between the lines and follow the curves in the road. You don't have to jerk the steering wheel every 15 seconds to show your hands are there.

The e-tron is also the first car with an integrated toll module. I'm about to get that activated because I go through a few tolls a day here in the NY Metro and it'll be nice not to have the tag on the window.

My lease was 36/12k .0023 MF and 50% residual with Audi care.

The Audi tire protection with cosmetic damager coverage was 2 grand!!! I'm still thinking about that one. I have 30 days to decide.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 05-04-2019, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

Congrats! Very nice. Were you charged to 100% and how many miles left at the end of your 150 mile journey? Enjoy your ride!
Old 05-04-2019, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DMcDnald
Congrats! Very nice. Were you charged to 100% and how many miles left at the end of your 150 mile journey? Enjoy your ride!
I was charged to 90%/184mi and had 23 miles left when I got home. Car says I used 57.5 KWh/100 miles.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Congratulations and great photo!

Thanks for all your initial impressions. Let us know of anything else interesting that you find. Did you try the integrated wiper washers?

575 wh/mi, something may not be fully calibrated. At that rate, you should only get 145 miles range. Maybe that was max consumption?
Old 05-04-2019, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Directly from the my Audi app:

Old 05-04-2019, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, it must not have calibrated yet since the usable capacity is only 83.6kwh...

Another explanation is the car was "on" for a long time using power without moving.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. Also note you can change the brake-regen to “manual” so you can keep the heavier (up to 0.3g) regen when you let off the gas, based on your paddle setting. Although the engineers swear the auto mode is the most efficient.
What a great looking e-tron!.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ArbyH
Congrats. Also note you can change the brake-regen to “manual” so you can keep the heavier (up to 0.3g) regen when you let off the gas, based on your paddle setting. Although the engineers swear the auto mode is the most efficient.
What a great looking e-tron!.
I did not know that. Going to try it tomorrow!
Old 05-04-2019, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what did your lease payment come out to be?
Old 05-05-2019, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by robertsalem
what did your lease payment come out to be?

Quick Reply: I'm in the club with an Edition One - Thoughts from a former Tesla owner