Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Juicebox Pro 40A plugin on sale $499

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

So I’m in the process of adding solar powers and a charging station to my store as gov incentives are there to help. The nyserda list includes several brands, some open source and some not, like chargepoint. I will also be adding one at home but not necessarily the same brand.

So, regardless of the location (retail or home) and assumedly i’ll do different ones at both, what brands or units do you all recommend? I have 200 amp service available at both locations with plenty of options.

dor the commercial location im leaning towards chargepoint for the looks and the onscreen displays. But I used one yesterday for the first time and was not as user friendly as I assumed it might be. It was our first charge, and we had issues trying to figure out how to disconnect from it, which is an Audi thing to assure your car doesn’t get tampered with while you are away from the charger.

So brand names and preferences....Go!
Old 05-12-2019, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suprspdway
So I’m in the process of adding solar powers and a charging station to my store as gov incentives are there to help. The nyserda list includes several brands, some open source and some not, like chargepoint. I will also be adding one at home but not necessarily the same brand.

So, regardless of the location (retail or home) and assumedly i’ll do different ones at both, what brands or units do you all recommend? I have 200 amp service available at both locations with plenty of options.

dor the commercial location im leaning towards chargepoint for the looks and the onscreen displays. But I used one yesterday for the first time and was not as user friendly as I assumed it might be. It was our first charge, and we had issues trying to figure out how to disconnect from it, which is an Audi thing to assure your car doesn’t get tampered with while you are away from the charger.

So brand names and preferences....Go!
Google is not a bad place to start your research. Here's one article:

https://insideevs.com/news/341500/th...s-top-5-picks/
Old 05-12-2019, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Still confused about charging capacity.

So I’m no electrician, clearly, but I’m learning.
i realize that the Etron has a load capacity that is about 9.6kwl or something to that effect?

So, as some have said, the juicebox pro40 is the most capable level 2 charger available?

So if that is the case, does that rule out (if price and power were no issue) putting in a 50 amp dc charger at my retail business? ie, if I understand correctly, the car has no ability to charge faster on a DC 50 (which I think is still a level 2) system than it would on a juicebox pro 40?
Old 05-12-2019, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

i realize that the Etron has a load capacity that is about 9.6kwl or something to that effect?

So, as some have said, the juicebox pro40 is the most capable level 2 charger available?

So if that is the case, does that rule out (if price and power were no issue) putting in a 50 amp dc charger at my retail business? ie, if I understand correctly, the car has no ability to charge faster on a DC 50 (which I think is still a level 2) system than it would on a juicebox pro 40?
A DC50 is 50 kW and considered level 3. The most you're going to get from a level 2 is is about 7.6 kW. Even the "slow" level 3 is almost 7 times faster than a level 2.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You are basically mixing apples with oranges. Although I am an engineer, I am no electrician, so here is how I see charging, especially for the e-tron.
These level 2 chargers that people buy to have them installed so that they can charge their cars, are in fact not chargers. These can be seen as simple or more complex power supplies, depending on the type. Their main function is to deliver power to the car. These deliver AC voltage mostly up to a total power of 22kw.

Now the high voltage battery in all electric cars stores power as a DC voltage and it is what the motors that drive the car need. It is impossible to charge a DC battery using directly AC power. So a conversion from AC to DC needs to happen before. And this, for the Level 2 "chargers" that supply AC voltage, it is performed on the vehicle side. Each electric vehicle has an AC to DC voltage converter, that is actually the charger. And each electric vehicle uses a different voltage converter that can convert more or less power at a given time. In the case of e-tron, this converter can convert 11kw for the Europe Variant and I guess 9.6kw for the US variant. There are talks about a future 22kw charger, but I don't know if it is because of the second charging port on the passenger side, or a completely different charger.

On the other side, DC 50kw charging is a Level 3 charger. Unlike the Level2 "chargers" where the AC-DC converter is on the vehicle side, for the Level 3 chargers, the converter in on the charger side. Which means that the charger supplies DC power directly to the car's battery, without needing any other converter in between that would limit the maximum power. For the Level 3 or DC chargers, the only limit is how much power the high voltage battery can take. And for the e-tron this is limited to a maximum of 150kw. The only problem with DC chargers is that since they include also the AC-DC converter, they tend to be very expensive and quite hard to find for sale.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bugout
A DC50 is 50 kW and considered level 3. The most you're going to get from a level 2 is is about 7.6 kW. Even the "slow" level 3 is almost 7 times faster than a level 2.
In the US the on-board charger is 9.6 kW - hence the 8 to 10 hours quoted for a full charge using level 2 chargers.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The motors in the e-tron require AC current to drive them. The power electronics on each motor convert DC to AC.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

The e-tron has a charging controller that is limited to 9.6 kW (240 volt @ 40 amp), when using the J1772 plug ONLY ( ie the top round connector / Level 2)
The industry standard of the J1772 connector can support higher than 40amp ( I believe around 80 amp), but again the e-tron can't use all that. So for our e-tron 40 amp is the fastest EVSE. Note that many Home EVSE's are max @32A

When the DC connector + J1772 are used ( called CCS/Combo ) the onboard charging controller can handle 150 kW , during majority of the charging time ( between around 10% - 80% state of charge)

150 kW is about 15 times faster than 9.6 kW. Full charge with 40amp in 9 hours = 540 minutes; while Electrify America 150 kW 15 times faster so ( 540 / 15) is 36 min. EvGo is also deploying 150 kW stations, while most EvGo/ChargePoint are 50 kW ( 3 times slower than Electrify AMerica)
Old 05-12-2019, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

So thank you for the explanations. So mathematical language aside, the juice bar pro 40 more or less maximizes the level 2 charging capacity of the Etron when connected to a 220 volt outlet.

the closest fast charger is the “energy bar” at the Northway. 49 kilowatts is what we believe we were being supplied. One would assume that as a state run facility maybe they are not offering the full potential there (150kw)?
Old 05-12-2019, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

... does that rule out (if price and power were no issue) putting in a 50 amp dc charger at my retail business? ie, if I understand correctly, the car has no ability to charge faster on a DC 50 (which I think is still a level 2) system than it would on a juicebox pro 40?
No it doesn't rule out the level-3 DC Charging station. But I think you are misunderstanding DC charging when you wrote ( 50 amp DC ). It is best to describe level-3 DC in kW ( which is amp x Voltage). Because level-3 DC charging output voltage is much higher at around DC 400-500 volts), while input can be 240 , 208, 480 volts AC

I know you said, ... if price and power were no issues... , but keep in mind a 25 kW level 3 will require a 165 Amp panel with a single 240 v feed ( e.g. look at the specs of this unit https://www.boschevsolutions.com/cha...s?sku=EL-52240) - Most households are 240V ( with two split-phased 120V's ), so 25 kW can be installed relatively easily, but you likely will need a new new utility meter and service panel for a 25 kW Level 3 DC charging.

Most 50 kW level 3 DC EVSE use multi-phase 208/240 Volt (to reduce the amperage and the size of cable)
e.g. with this 50 kW unit, you only need 100 amp 3 phase 208/240 volt
https://www.evchargesolutions.com/BT...p/btcpdc50.htm

Quick Reply: Juicebox Pro 40A plugin on sale $499