Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Ordered..Cancelled..Driven..Re-Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelf
Beyond the title, the guy loses credibility by demonstrating a marked ignorance of EVs in general (and Teslas in particular). It's nice to be enthusiastic, but a little context goes a long way. Not to mention, he drives on the wrong side of the road :-)
He literally mentions Tesla twice in the entire video: once in regards to the e-tron having superior quality and once in regards to the e-tron being expensive, yet competitively priced in comparison to a Tesla. Yes, "marked ignorance"
Old 04-20-2019, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelf
I typically have several routes to choose from, making the decision more about the scenery and speed of arrival rather than charger density.
I would say 95 % of the folks in my area would not understand a word you said. Think about the last time Gas station density and Gas station network came up in a conversation.Essentially Never. I know the Tesla folks heart is in the right place and I'm rooting for the technology, but the technology is not there yet for a full swap for an easy 95% of folks in my area. I would not oversell the technology. Your area may be different.

It is capable of in town and close in town travel at this point. Considering when I bought my first EV, this is pretty amazing.

Last edited by theo1000; 04-20-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by alexlear
In my experience, the Tesla Supercharger network has been fast, reliable, and has almost perfect coverage.
I don't agree. The Tesla network is essentially non-existent for regular folks. Coverage is way less than 1% of what will be needed eventually in my area. Your own map shows it. Were are all the state highways. The vast majority of roads in my area are state highways, completely uncovered. What about in-city or arterial roads or coverage for out of town visitors.These don't exist and to be fair the non-Tesla network is almost non-existent too. I would not send my daughter out on that network and that is the standard EV's need to be at for final transition. It will get there, we are no where close.

Last edited by theo1000; 04-20-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by theo1000
The Tesla network is essentially non-existent for regular folks.
If you consider the range of their cars (300+ miles), the aerodynamic efficiency, and the chargers spaced so you can skip locations along highways, the supercharger network is very existent for a significant percentage of the population. I think the only real barrier is EV education. There are always edge cases to consider and trips require more planning than ICE vehicles but overall Tesla has proven that long range EV travel is possible. If you use the navigation system in a Tesla, it will always route you to your destination via charging infrastructure so there is no need to feel range anxiety.

My only thoughts now are how fast Electrify America can expand to be as convenient as the Tesla Supercharger system. There's nothing we can do about the range or efficiency of the e-tron but if EA (or other network) can add more locations, that should help e-tron owners.

Last edited by alexlear; 04-20-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I remain mystified ...

I remain mystified over the amount of posts on this forum dealing with all things range-associated. If range is so important, then those among us who are dissatisfied with the anticipated range of the e-tron might want to consider cancelling their reservations and being done with it. It just may be too soon in the development of electric vehicles for those friends of ours who speak so passionately about range to own one. As for myself, I should not want a vehicle about which I had significant concerns or misgivings. The e-tron should be a source of pleasure, nothing else.

Admittedly, my dismay may come from the fact that range means nothing to me. I could not care less if it got 150 miles to a charge or 350 miles. I am looking forward to owning or leasing (I am leaning towards leasing) an e-tron for its high level of quality, fit & finish, style and just plain driving enjoyment I expect to get from it.

Regardless, I do enjoy all posts on this forum. I admire and support unequivocally the passion with which all are presented whether or not I agree with them, or for that matter, whether I even understand them. Technical, I'm not.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Leaf for three years and I loved it, 80 miles range and all. Road trips were fun. An adventure. It was amazing when I got somewhere cool without using any gas at all. I loved watching it charge up at stops.

Now, my wife, on the other had hated that thing. It was not "fun" for her at all. Everything I just mentioned ticked her off, it didn't "bring her joy", as they say. This E Tron is coming into our house solely because it's an Audi (she's a sucker for those rings) and because it has nearly 3x the range of our old Leaf. But even she knows that 3x isn't infinity.

So... which one are you? I'd say you really should have a bit of the first line in ya, or you may be disappointed.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

EV driving is in its infancy, even for advanced systems like Tesla. Not its embryonic stage, but its infancy. For those adventurers who like the bow wave of technology, we are where we should be - in fact if Gramma or the kids live across town, and you never leave Metropolis, your EV suits you as well or better than an ICE. But even for those intrepid cross-country Tesla drivers motoring from Bangor to San Francisco, if your S3 goes bingo in the middle of the desert it's not like AAA will show up with a couple of gallons of level 3 charging and get you on your way, and gas stations likely outnumber even the Tesla network about 1,000 to 1 or more. And though it will almost certainly become mainstream technology someday - individual fossil fuel consumption will become scarcer and more restrictive, battery technology will become more advanced - clearly for many it's not there yet. We may well laugh in ten years about a 200 or 300 mile range EV, or about looking for a charging station in the middle of Wyoming. But not yet. So for those souls who get in their car and drive to reach a destination, without much pre-planning or thought, don't check their fuel level until the little yellow light comes on, or routinely drive 100 miles off the beaten path, an EV may not be your current vehicle, or even your next one. But heaven bless those pioneers driving them now, creating a very likely future for the rest of us.