Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Range challenge: Audi etron vs Tesla Model X vs I-Pace on Autobahn | consumption test

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Range challenge: Audi etron vs Tesla Model X vs I-Pace on Autobahn | consumption test

Old 02-21-2019, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I just saw this. Here's the English write up. https://nextmove.de/autobahn-test-te...jaguar-i-pace/

The Tesla destroyed the other two for efficiency. The e-tron made up for it if 150kw chargers are available but as the host mentions, the Tesla was only the 90D model and would do even better with the 100D.

I've said it before, Tesla makes a better EV but Audi makes a better car.

I will also be interested to see Bjorn Nylands test of the same 3 cars. At this point I think Audi should allow him to post his results. Of course, they already know the results which is probably why they don't want him to.

This hasn't changed my mind on the e-tron, it's just good data.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alexlear
I just saw this. Here's the English write up. https://nextmove.de/autobahn-test-te...jaguar-i-pace/

The Tesla destroyed the other two for efficiency. The e-tron made up for it if 150kw chargers are available but as the host mentions, the Tesla was only the 90D model and would do even better with the 100D.

I've said it before, Tesla makes a better EV but Audi makes a better car.

I will also be interested to see Bjorn Nylands test of the same 3 cars. At this point I think Audi should allow him to post his results. Of course, they already know the results which is probably why they don't want him to.

This hasn't changed my mind on the e-tron, it's just good data.

Interesting analysis, does not align at all with Bjorn's testing which the I-Pace came out the winner, in a real world days driving. These guys just picked 1 highway speed, and used the dash instruments for calculations. I am not putting much stock in this analysis. but following what they say, the E-Tron is 1 dollar per 100KM more expensive to charge, so in 200k km life of the car that is $2k more to power the Audi, but it costs how much less again? and quieter, more features, more comfortable...
Old 02-24-2019, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-ETRON
Interesting analysis, does not align at all with Bjorn's testing which the I-Pace came out the winner, in a real world days driving. These guys just picked 1 highway speed, and used the dash instruments for calculations. I am not putting much stock in this analysis. but following what they say, the E-Tron is 1 dollar per 100KM more expensive to charge, so in 200k km life of the car that is $2k more to power the Audi, but it costs how much less again? and quieter, more features, more comfortable...
I agree that these tests need to be taken with a grain of salt. If there was an ICE comparo and they relied on the the dashboard mileage readout, there'd be zero credibility. There are too many variables at play here and basically no controls.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
I agree that these tests need to be taken with a grain of salt. If there was an ICE comparo and they relied on the the dashboard mileage readout, there'd be zero credibility. There are too many variables at play here and basically no controls.
NEDC, WLTP, and EPA tests use calibrated equipment and fixed test routines to control variables and most people would say their results aren't perfect either. I'm happy with the few tests we've seen. Most of them describe their test methods and my impression is that they understand EVs well and know what to control as best they can (speed, drafting, temp, tires, wheel size, etc.). The take away for me is the trend from all these tests.

I'd like to see Audi add more range in the near future, even if its just from weight reduction. "Fully charged" review said they used steel in the body. My other Audis use aluminum so that should be a natural progression in the future to increase efficiency.

I'm happy with the test results, range is not my only consideration. I do try to look at this data from an unbiased perspective. Longer charging times (assuming not on 150kw charger) and range anxiety aren't luxurious and Audi is a luxury brand.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I do not understand why Range is frequently mentioned as the most important criteria. It is like judging an ICE car on fuel tank size times mileage. Depending on your use of an electric car (say no long trips – or plenty of fast charging stations) once you exceed a certain range (say 300km), the range might be almost irrelevant. The range is important but for many people far less important than safety features, entertainment, seat comfort, trunk size, luxury items etc.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

You're completely right when talking about in-town trips. People want cars that can do everything they can think up which includes long unexpected trips.

The number one question I get asked when talking about my two current EVs is "have far can you go before the battery dies?" The second is "how long does it take to charge?"

Its on peoples minds because charging infrastructure is not as prevalent or as fast as gas/petrol.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by perlfather
I do not understand why Range is frequently mentioned as the most important criteria. It is like judging an ICE car on fuel tank size times mileage. Depending on your use of an electric car (say no long trips – or plenty of fast charging stations) once you exceed a certain range (say 300km), the range might be almost irrelevant. The range is important but for many people far less important than safety features, entertainment, seat comfort, trunk size, luxury items etc.
Range anxiety, and lack of infrastructure!

Because we have the TDI, we are spoiled. For people who have kids out of town, kids that play travel sports or any routine long distance travel - range is crucial and, what makes all electric vehicles impractical for some. Two of our kids live 250 miles away - with the TDI we can go in the morning, return in the evening all on < 3/4 tank. Another lives almost 500 miles away. All of these trips can be made without ever stopping; none of these trips are possible non-stop in an electric car. When they were younger, out-of-town weekend hockey games could not have been possible.

So, while I agree that handling, trunk, etc are very important - no matter how fancy the features, if the car is unable to make routine trips like above, range is the single factor that rules the car out.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

The TDi range is impressive. I once got 800+ miles on a tank. It was an all highway tank, which is tough to do because the range is so far. With such a range you get to concentrate on the other aspects of the car. When I was cross shopping the Tesla S the range and lack of infrastructure at the time scared me off.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
The TDi range is impressive. I once got 800+ miles on a tank. ....... With such a range you get to concentrate on the other aspects of the car. When I was cross shopping the Tesla S the range and lack of infrastructure at the time scared me off.
Scared off? I was turned off !

Tesla was never in the running as range, lack of infrastructure and the obnoxious iPad on steroids were complete turn-offs. One of the reasons that I selected the Audi was that the screen disappeared. Just don't get it: all the logical warnings about not texting and driving - yet all manufactures are replacing a few well-placed ***** with distracting touch screens.......but that is another discussion

As for mileage, mid 600s easily in the summer when majority of miles is highway.

Quick Reply: Range challenge: Audi etron vs Tesla Model X vs I-Pace on Autobahn | consumption test