Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Rear suspension noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Rear suspension noisy?

I have noticed this about my eTron for a while now and even in a loaner eTron I had a while ago. When going over certain types of bumps or road irregularities, the front suspension is nice and quiet, but when the rear suspension hits the same bump, there's a "booming" sound that echoes inside the eTron. I can't describe it any better than with that word, "boom". Like I said, I have noted this on other eTrons and I wonder if it is due to the low-profile tires (both eTrons I have driven had the 21" wheels) or if there's something else going on. Anyone else notice this?
Old 04-28-2020, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 266 Likes on 199 Posts

No ‘boom’ with mine running on 21”s.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thebishman
No ‘boom’ with mine running on 21”s.
I admit it is difficult to describe and it is quite possible other folks may simply tune it our or not notice it. My point was trying to see if it was tire-related or not.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBTK
I admit it is difficult to describe and it is quite possible other folks may simply tune it our or not notice it. My point was trying to see if it was tire-related or not.
I have a rather keen ear for such things, which earned me a seemingly prominent position on Tesla's blacklist, not too long ago. My car runs on 20s, with the original tires (not the greatest out there), and I hear no abnormal suspension noises. I heard a "thud" earlier today, from the rear, while going over one of those steeply-angled intersections, which made me think of your post. It turned out I had a piece of equipment in the trunk that bumped against the trunk floor as the car bounced over the road joint.

So no, you should hear nothing from the rear suspension that you do not hear from the front. Check the under-the-floor storage compartment and also under that storage compartment. If there's nothing obviously loose there and the sound is reproducible, take your car in and have the dealer debug it.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 266 Likes on 199 Posts

Make sure that the tyres have the correct psi in them also.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:07 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a consistent clunk/rattle on the right side over irregular pavement that feels like it's coming from the suspension. On my car, it feels like it's coming from the front. I also have 21's. I took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't duplicate it. It's driving me crazy though. When I had the 19" winter tires on, it was much less noticeable, but that could be due to the higher level of tire noise on the winter tires.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by e-tronDriver
I have a consistent clunk/rattle on the right side over irregular pavement that feels like it's coming from the suspension. On my car, it feels like it's coming from the front. I also have 21's. I took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't duplicate it. It's driving me crazy though. When I had the 19" winter tires on, it was much less noticeable, but that could be due to the higher level of tire noise on the winter tires.
There's a TSB that might cover this; just came out: TSB link
The following users liked this post:
e-tronDriver (04-30-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

So as I got into my eTron today, I heard what appeared to be the same "booming" sound happening when I close the driver's side door. I sat in the other 3 positions in the vehicle and closed the door and didn't hear the sound. Could it be the sound is coming from the driver's door then? Weird.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

So as I got into my eTron today, I heard what appeared to be the same "booming" sound happening when I close the driver's side door. I sat in the other 3 positions in the vehicle and closed the door and didn't hear the sound. Could it be the sound is coming from the driver's door then? Weird.
Jiggle the door up and down and see if there's any play. Also inspect the door contour when closed and look for uneven panel gaps. It may be either loose hinges or an incorrectly-aligned door that causes the locking mechanism to bang against the latch. I had those problems on the Tesla.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Just a wild guess, if the same "booming sound" can be heard from both a) closing the door; and b) rear suspension hitting a bump

May be it is from the cabin vents that are usually located at the rear corners, and only visible when the rear bumper is off.
I don't hear the vents on my e-tron, but sure do on my LR3 when I close the door ( with all windows closed)

here is an example:

Last edited by 2KA6_2.7T; 04-29-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear suspension noisy?