Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Today's WSJ Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver1.8
Your circular reasoning and inability to get the point are outstanding. Best I've seen today, but the day is still young. You could read the linked article too, I suppose, if it's not too much trouble.

Also, just because you're ignoring the contaminated intake valves in your FSI engines doesn't mean it's not happening.
I did read it. I don't see an Audi statement in there. I don't see an Audi promise in there. I don't see even an attribution of the statement to anyone at Audi in there.. I see a singular sentence about it having 3 motors (it doesn't) and a bunch of suppositions, from the title onward, from a European magazine. 3.5 years ago.

I'm a serial Audi owner over the last 19 years....kinda know what I'm doing when it comes to maintaining them, and have access to all the factory tools as needed as well. Just like the notion that every single V8 S4/S5 needed to have it's timing guides etc done no later than 100k as they were essentially made of glass. Good overall design? No, certainly not their best. Did every car grenade at 100k? Nope, not even close.

Ever see what happens to mpg when carbon deposits form on the intake valves? It plummets so does hp and torque. IDC what car it is from what brand

Any car out there, from the lowliest Fiesta to the top tier supercar has positive and negative characteristics. Every machine you use on a daily basis, cars notwithstanding, is chock full of compromises. Audi's aren't immune to this, neither are Tesla's. Even the people you deal with on a daily basis, at work, in your personal life, in sports, just as you yourself are contractions and far from perfection. Such is life

Last edited by SCarGuy; 05-31-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People call them Tesla promises because Elon Musk literally goes onto his personal Twitter account and says something unbelievable dumb ("3 months maybe, 6 months definitely"). Some range guess in a magazine once a long time ago is nowhere near that official.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver1.8
Dude, I designed a BEV for my Senior Design Project in the 90s. I'm not a noob to the technology. You are absolutely correct. My Model 3 rated at 310 miles is easily capable of cruising 260 miles at 75 mph between charges, but I certainly wouldn't expect to reach 310 miles except only under very limited and controlled circumstances. I doubt I would ever attempt it. That's the nature of range ratings for all EVs to date. The Model 3 has never came close to leaving me stranded, and so far I'm at 19k miles in 10 months. Superchargers are so plentiful a person would have to be a complete idiot to run out of charge anywhere but the most remote and rural parts of the country. And obviously a BEV is a bad choice to go somewhere like that without adequate planning in advance.
Where to start. Again the 300 miles followed by 260 miles. Which is it. I live in the midwest, the bulk of the country. I can guarantee you situations your model 3 will be well under 200 miles. Folks like you & I will almost never get stranded on EV's. But regular folks who buy into the 300 mile hype will on a daily basis. The tech is not there yet and Tesla should quit saying so. And the model 3 is not a Etron. It is ridiculous to compare the two. I have driven both in the past month. The model 3 is nice but feels like a tin can honestly compared to the Etron.

I can also assure you super chargers are not 'plentiful' here. I just did a 1,700 mile drive all around the MidWest on ICE on mostly freeway driving. I did not see a single Tesla anywhere on the freeways and I kept a sharp look out. The furthest I saw one was 50 miles from a 2 million population city. Tesla drivers don't believe your claims and certainly don't trust it and venture very far, other than handful of fool hardy types. I had the chance to observe the Columbia Missouri Tesla charger for several days and never once did I see more than 1 car there. Again for reference the nearest Tesla Charger (BTW it is most definitely not a super charger) on the western side of Columbia is aprox. 120 miles away. It is simply crazy you would make these sorts of claims.

I think engineers like you do a disservice to the industry by making these sorts of wild claims. Audi was wrong to think they would get 300 miles. Honestly I think they fell a bit for the Tesla hype machine. They put the biggest battery they were comfortable with, a 95 kwhr unit, into a premium SUV, dialed in German conservatism and got 204. Could they have cut corners, fudged the test and gotten 250-260 EPA. Sure they could have but they did not.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, this forum is becoming heated! I just wanted to give my 2 cents...

I drove a model 3 performance last weekend. The interior was not as fancy as the e-tron, but it was fine. So yes, the Model 3 is not an e-tron but also the e-tron is not a Model 3. The Model 3 performance is a beast! it really delivers in a way that the e-tron doesn't. They are very different and to each his own.

On the topic of Superchargers being plentiful. It depends on your definition of that word. I'm planning e-tron trips and charging on the EA network is going to be a somewhat painful experience based on limited locations. On the trips I want to take, I pass two supercharger stations for every one EA station. Its really going to test the e-trons range and my anxiety. It's true that the EA network is growing fast but the Supercharger network is currently the most complete.

On the topic of Tesla range, your mileage will vary! Motortrend tested the updated model S (370 miles EPA rated) recently from San Francisco to Los Angeles (359 miles) and made it there with 41 miles left for a total of 400 miles single charge range. I see this as great competition and will push the entire industry forward.

Getting back to the original article and charging, I'm solidly in the camp of miles gained per minute is all I care about (for long distance travel). It's a tricky topic because of charge % needed, arrival state-of-charge, and power curves but the e-tron performs well. Of course, if you're not at a 150kw charger, the e-trons low efficiency starts to become an issue.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How am I being misleading? I clearly stated that a 310 mile EPA range rating on my Model 3 translates to 260 miles in the real world. I would have to ritually abuse the car to get only 200 miles of range on a full charge. This is my actual experience driving the car for over 19k miles. Sorry if that doesn't comport with your opinion on how it should be.

When I talk about 300 miles of real-world range, I'm referring to the Long Range Model S, EPA rated at 370 miles and easily capable of 300 miles on a single charge in actual driving conditions, as demonstrated by Motor Trend.

Superchargers are plentiful anywhere I want to go in my Model 3, especially compared to EA. And Tesla has not stopped building out Superchargers. It will take years for EA to catch up, if they ever catch up.

True, there aren't many Superchargers in BFE Missouri. Therefore, I wouldn't currently make plans to drive my Model 3 to BFE Missouri. But if I did I'm certain with planning and resourcefulness (there are destination chargers everywhere, including any RV park with 14-50 receptacles) it could be done, along with some concomitant inconvenience. And that inconvenience would be far less than if I tried to make the same trip in an inefficient BEV with even more limited fast charging options.

The article I linked is a report on Audi's presentation of the e-Tron at the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show. "On a full charge, the battery is claimed to provide the e-tron quattro concept with a range of over 311 miles..." It is Audi who made this claim. And they didn't even come close when the final product that was the outgrowth of the concept went on sale.

Don't mistake my intention here. I'm glad that Audi has entered the BEV market and in a big way, that hopefully will continue and grow to more models. I'd love to buy a BEV A6 for instance. However, to state that Audi has a lot of room for improvement before they can truly compete in the BEV category should not be a controversial opinion, even to fans of Audi like ourselves.