Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Traffic light information

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rmf382
By that standard, drivers looking anywhere other than straight forward cause crashes - looking down to the VC/gauge cluster, reading information/graphics on the MMI screen, changing hvac settings, etc..... Thankfully the VC and Audi Connect subscription allow drivers to customize the information that is shown so as to remove information they feel is of no value.

Personally, I like the Traffic Light function. It seems to be a forward step in the evolution of traffic management from the existing traffic jam assist and other alternate route guidance that comes with current navigation/driving technology.
Im not speaking about drivers not paying attention I’m speaking of drivers looking at the countdown and running a red light because they think it’s coming close to zero and instantly will turn green and then crashing in to the oncoming cross traffic.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
As this causes crashes by people watching the count down and either not slowing down or accelerating out of the gate. This is pointless and dangerous.
On the contrary, it's quite helpful as it extends the reaction time tremendously. Seeing how many seconds of green there are left gives you the opportunity to figure out whether you can make it or not and, as a result, you either go for it or you slow down. You no longer find yourself in the situation where you're driving through, at normal speed, only to have the light change on you half a second before you reach the intersection.

I'm yet to meet anybody in town who does not like the system and the local citizenry and police seem to believe it's actually safer ... kind of like that little indicator in the eTron dash, only a lot bigger and right in front of everyone's eyes. With this type of system, everybody makes decisions based on the same information, since everyone sees the same countdown. In a car with this digi-gizmo, you react to information that the vehicles behind you or coming from the side do not have. THAT is more dangerous, i.m.o.
The following users liked this post:
e-tronDriver (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Tronification
Ever since I first read about this system I’ve wondered why municipalities don’t go with this cheaper and vastly more obvious implementation ...

It just occurred to me, question to those of you who have seen the traffic light info in action:
If you have a scenario like the one in the picture above, with two traffic lights, is that shown correctly in the dashboard?
Old 07-15-2019, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

On the contrary, it's quite helpful as it extends the reaction time tremendously. Seeing how many seconds of green there are left gives you the opportunity to figure out whether you can make it or not and, as a result, you either go for it or you slow down. You no longer find yourself in the situation where you're driving through, at normal speed, only to have the light change on you half a second before you reach the intersection.

I'm yet to meet anybody in town who does not like the system and the local citizenry and police seem to believe it's actually safer ... kind of like that little indicator in the eTron dash, only a lot bigger and right in front of everyone's eyes. With this type of system, everybody makes decisions based on the same information, since everyone sees the same countdown. In a car with this digi-gizmo, you react to information that the vehicles behind you or coming from the side do not have. THAT is more dangerous, i.m.o.
I think you forgetting that you have a YELLOW light to inform you that the light is changing and you should slow down and stop.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

It just occurred to me, question to those of you who have seen the traffic light info in action:
If you have a scenario like the one in the picture above, with two traffic lights, is that shown correctly in the dashboard?
Yes. If you turn your left turn signal on, it will show you the countdown clock for the left turn lane, and an arrow to the left of the traffic light symbol (the arrow only shows on the dash, not the HUD).