Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

US Spec vs EU Spec

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Default US Spec vs EU Spec

Does anyone know if there are significant differences between the US Spec and EU Spec e-Trons? This link lists a-lot of features but if does reference it's based on the German model -

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...-systems-11099

For example:

A digital radio tuner, a TV tuner and a DVD player round out the infotainment program. (US doesn't have the TV or DVD)
Park assist eases the parking process. It steers the Audi e-tron independently into parallel parking and perpendicular parking spaces – forwards or backwards. The driver only has to accelerate and brake. (US doesn't have this)

This is what i'm interested in them launching but it's awfully quiet given that we're now in Mid-2019 -

New offering: flexible booking of additional features

Digitalization reaches a whole new level in the Audi e-*tron. The Audi e-tron will be the first model from the brand with the four rings to give its customers scope for adding certain functions in the areas of light, driver assistance systems and infotainment – on demand and at any time. This will be possible from mid-2019 onwards. Even after they have taken delivery of it, the customer can now continually customize it to their individual requirements. Every function can be obtained for varying periods – monthly, annually or permanently. Functions are booked conveniently via the car’s MMI system, the myAudi app or the myAudi service portal, and paid for easily and securely via AudiPay.

In the lighting package, customers can upgrade the LED headlights to Matrix LED headlights with intelligent high-beam control. The package also includes other functions such as dynamic turn signals, daytime running lights with e-tron signature, and lighting scenarios that are activated when the SUV is opened and closed. Under assistance systems, there is initially park assist as an add-on option. The infotainment package comprises DAB+ digital radio and the Audi smartphone interface.

This makes me wonder if the US models are getting what the EU models already have and are just being switched on when you cough up more $$$. In other words, they're not new features being designed and added but more unlocking what other countries already have.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

EU models have more options choices. More colors, different wheels, different side mirrors, etc. Many options result from different laws. Matrix LED's not yet approved by NHTSA for use in USA but maybe the other enhancements are.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by suttoni
EU models have more options choices. More colors, different wheels, different side mirrors, etc. Many options result from different laws. Matrix LED's not yet approved by NHTSA for use in USA but maybe the other enhancements are.
There's a night-and-day difference between e-tron options available in the US and in Germany. Here is a link to the German price and options list: https://www.audi.de/dam/nemo/models/...ten/e-tron.pdf. It is 86 (!) pages long.There are 4 pages about seats, 3 pages about steering wheels and 10 pages about driver assistance systems, just to mention a few sections. And then there's page 70, offering customers to pick up their new vehicle in Ingolstadt - an option that's no longer available to US customers.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by suttoni
EU/Europe is a region, just like North America. There is even more differences between individual European markets (countries) in option choices and pricing than between the USA, Canada and Mexico within the NA region. The primary difference is that most countries in Europe follow centralised EU regulations relating to motor vehicles.

Germany typically has the most complete range of option choices. But you have to pay for every single one of them. Park Assist, Matrix lighting, Audi phone box, DAB+ digital radio, etc - all cost extra.

When optioning a German delivered Audi to an identical spec USA delivered Audi, the German car usually costs more. Same applies to BMW and Mercedes.

But I think the OP was addressing the new subscription model.

What the article states is that from mid 2019, all e-trons from a mid-2019 will be built with those listed options included in the build spec whether you want them or not, and the means of paying for those options is by activation through a subscription rather than added to the upfront purchase price as they currently are. Obviously, you would not subscribe to a Matrix lighting subscription in the USA until it was legal to use this function. The last line in the article clearly stated that it was referring to the German market vehicles, but this is a global strategy.

This is, largely, a money grab. The most recent Audi annual report mentioned at some length the anticipated millions of additional revenue that these subscription services would generate. BMW and Mercedes are doing similar. I can see some instance where this may be a benefit - Matrix lighting is useless in an urban environment, so taking a one month subscription for an annual holiday may be attractive. Depends on the rate, vs the option cost at purchase for Matrix lighting.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MileHigh e-tron
And then there's page 70, offering customers to pick up their new vehicle in Ingolstadt - an option that's no longer available to US customers.
If you choose to pick up your new vehicle in Ingolstadt, you have to get yourself there, and then you just leave after they throw the keys at you. However, you do get a free snack.

I think most Europeans would prefer to get USA pricing than a free snack. The only thing better would be Canadian pricing
Old 07-13-2019, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
....But I think the OP was addressing the new subscription model. ...
The German options list I referred to two notes back lists the following items as subscription options, but without mentioning subscription costs:
- Matrix lights (page 15)
- Digital radio reception (page 50)
- Smartphone interface (page 52)
- Parkassistent (page 60)
- WLAN hotspot (page 73)
Old 07-13-2019, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
If you choose to pick up your new vehicle in Ingolstadt, you have to get yourself there, and then you just leave after they throw the keys at you. However, you do get a free snack. I think most Europeans would prefer to get USA pricing than a free snack. The only thing better would be Canadian pricing
AUDI USA used to offer what was called "Audi European Delivery Program", which has been discontinued -> https://www.audiusa.com/inventory/european-delivery. Here's a link to an (outdated) page that describes what was included in this program -> https://www.audiwest.com/european-delivery.htm.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

^^

I'm aware of the programme, and its cancellation. I was just clarifying that for Europeans to pay their own way to travel to Ingolstadt to pick up their car is purely an advantage of geography, not that they are being given some financially preferential treatment to North American consumers.

Audi USA now reports to Volkswagen Cars of America, and not to Audi AG. A most unusual situation.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:44 PM
SWFla-eTron

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Early press reports (releases?) spoke about the availability of parking assist. Since we have this feature on our BMW 750, I looked forward to having it on my e tron. Sadly, it wasn’t available on US models. I recently contacted Audi America concerning the future availability via a software update. The answer came back that from the liaison person that he inquired, but could not obtain any information to pass on. Does anyone have any information on future availability?
Old 07-13-2019, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

The car practically drives itself on freeways, has side, rear and front cameras so I don’t see why it wouldn’t be able to do park assist via a software update. It’s also called out as one of the first things to be released too. I do wonder if all the hardware is installed to enable “Traffic Jam Pilot” if/when the US standardizes regulations.

the question remains though, how much software are Audi willing to update?

Last edited by hrc1079; 07-13-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Quick Reply: US Spec vs EU Spec