Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Winter range on a 2021 e-tron?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter range on a 2021 e-tron?

Is anyone getting 40-50 miles less range on their e-trons on cold winter days? The dealership says this is “normal,” but it is disconcerting for me since I drive in mostly stop and go traffic, I don’t have a heavy foot, and I’m not blasting the heat at 75 degrees - I love the cold and keep the cabin between 68-70.

For example, I fully charged the car last night and the range was 180 this morning. After driving 24 miles in stop and go traffic, the range plummeted to 136 miles. This seems a bit too extreme for me and Audi is going to continue telling me the car is “fine.” Please give me some input.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not an e-Tron owner yet so can't speak directly about the battery life in cold weather. I have read several posts speaking about how the cold affects battery life.
This article may help:

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...formance-14450
Old 01-21-2022, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dmb1074@aol.com
Is anyone getting 40-50 miles less range on their e-trons on cold winter days? The dealership says this is “normal,” but it is disconcerting for me since I drive in mostly stop and go traffic, I don’t have a heavy foot, and I’m not blasting the heat at 75 degrees - I love the cold and keep the cabin between 68-70.

For example, I fully charged the car last night and the range was 180 this morning. After driving 24 miles in stop and go traffic, the range plummeted to 136 miles. This seems a bit too extreme for me and Audi is going to continue telling me the car is “fine.” Please give me some input.
Depending on what temperature "cold" is, the E Tron can drop up to 35% or so. It is normal for EV's to lose that much in extreme cold or more. Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

It is completely normal. My 2019 Etron has range of 230-250 normally in warmer weather (after the software update), and now it is between 180 and 190 and drops like a rock when the temperature is below freezing.
Last week when temps were in the teens, I lost 55 miles of range on a 20 mile trip.

So I would plan accordingly during the winter.
Stay safe!
Old 01-21-2022, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

It's normal. We're in the middle of a cold snap right now and my range was lowered by a noticeable amount during my errands today.

I do notice that it seems like the most direct(?) impact is heating the cabin. I normally just use the seat heaters and heated steering wheel, but the moment I turn on the cabin air heating (70 F) it drops by ~20 miles.

I live in the south, so the cold is rare - which is why I was OK with the e-tron's subpar range relative to other cars like Tesla (although all EVs, including Tesla have similar cold weather "issues")
Old 01-21-2022, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by dmb1074@aol.com

Cold and slow driving will hit range hard. You can likely reduce the hit by turning down the climate usage and stay just as warm. Before leaving next time, try this:
1) turn off back seat climate, unless there is someone in the back seat. Do not keep the whole cabin warm.
2) Turn passenger side to defog only, and reduce temperature, and set fan to 2, unless there is someone in the passenger seat
3) turn the seat warmer on full, and reduce driver side temperature until you are comfortable. Fan 3. Wear a coat.
4) if it is cold outside, turn off the AC. The AC might be needed if you get into the car in the rain, or at warmer temperatures to prevent fogging. Try the ECO setting first.

Is this best settings for winter range? Likely not, but you will be as comfortable.

I'm in the USA, so have an e-tron 55. My full charge range has been lower than 170 miles, and higher than 240 miles.

Still think there is a problem with the car? If so, please reply with more information. What is the short term miles per kWh, reset before starting if not first trip of the day? Starting and ending battery percentage?
The following users liked this post:
marraccinijd (01-28-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a 2019 etron and also just had a 2021 etron loaner for a month and they both will only charge up to 150mi - 160mi (80%) in a cold garage. And if it's 25º F or less outside, you will drop 10-20 miles of range in the first few miles. Even if I only plan to do a 100 mile trip I'll usually charge to 90 or 100% in the cold winter months to be on the safe side.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

My GOM is indicating I would get about about 202 miles of range at 100% in 27 degree weather. I was getting worse range than that but I inflated my tires last week and the GOM range immediately and noticeably improved. My experience is a loss of about 10% on a 2022. I do not know if the tire inflation changed the result, but it’s been colder this week than last.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:40 PM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

Normal. Most of us see a 15%-20% reduction, same as you. Maybe more in extreme cold and on very short trips.

Keep in mind that is amazing compared to other EVs. One of the things the e-tron gives you for all that $$$$ is a thermal management system, not just a heat pump. One reasons they put that thermal management system in place was their original vision that the car should be similar to drive to other Audis. They wanted to blunt the "winter penalty" we all pay and did a good job of it, I think.

My neighbor has a 2017 Model X with resistive-type heating and tons of glass, and he is always telling me horror stories of how much energy it uses to heat. He said his range dropped by a third or more in recent cold weather.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't have the etron in winter yet but my model x goes from 320 wh/mi to 450-500 wh/mi in the winter. Combine that with battery being less efficient at energy storage/discharge and you get that drop.

Last edited by TTom TTR; 01-21-2022 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Winter range on a 2021 e-tron?