Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

About to crawl under the car to diagnose drivetrain noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to crawl under the car to diagnose drivetrain noise

There are more than one symptom to this issue and they all occur after a 95.5 transmission install into my '93. I didn't do the work so I'm curious if they jacked the car in the wrong place and messed something up. Here's what's going on and I welcome any opinions:

1) Perceived power loss. I had a long stint away from the car, but I feel like there is a good amount of vibration and noise without the power I remember it delivered.

2)Close radius turns to the left or quick acceleration, more rarely, come with a low groaning/rubbing noise

3)At speeds above 50ish I can hear a quiet frenzy of metal parts pinging or bouncing, a pretty frighening sound, that happens whether the car is in gear or not. It doesn't make the noise if I'm in gear and I'm accelerating.

Any ideas? I'm suspecting something on the right axle is messed up so I'm going to look there shortly (after the turbo and exhaust have cooled down enough to make it tolerable).
Old 06-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Think I found it

Check out that boot at the transmission...I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be folding under itself and should be stretched over that lip on the axle? Should I be calling raxle or buying some grease? Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

False alarm on the last post...think I'm wrong. I was reading about the tendency of the bolts to back out from the axle to the transmission, but there isn't anything I can see by eye and i don't have the tools to test it out. One symptom of that though is close to what I described in #3 on the original post. Is there any chance the hub bolt requiring massive torque could be working itself out?