Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Cabin Air/Pollen Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin Air/Pollen Filter

So I'm trying to find the cabin air filter and I think Im in the right area. Some of the old threads and the Q&A have expired pictures so I thought this might help others to since its time to start running the AC for the summer.

I read that you have to remove the wiper arms and get some more space to work. The green items on the picture will need to come out I assume.

My question is... is the filter in the area where I circled the nut heads in red...or....is it behind that further back. Can I tell if I even have a filter from this picture or do I need to dig further to see that. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images  

Last edited by GoHeels; 05-11-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GoHeels
So I'm trying to find the cabin air filter and I think Im in the right area. Some of the old threads and the Q&A have expired pictures so I thought this might help others to since its time to start running the AC for the summer.

I read that you have to remove the wiper arms and get some more space to work. The green items on the picture will need to come out I assume.

My question is... is the filter in the area where I circled the nut heads in red...or....is it behind that further back. Can I tell if I even have a filter from this picture or do I need to dig further to see that. Thanks for the help.
The wiper arms and 3 other covers need to come out before you can get at the bolts you've circled in red. It's pretty self-evident. The 3 covers are the main cowl cover (snaps in in front, slots in in back) the upper rain deflector (4 or so allen bolts) and then the lower rain deflector (just clips on).

Once they are out, pull the 3 bolts and the cover, then the old filter if there's one in there- they didn't come with a filter from the factory, and most cars don't have them.

Make sure you vacuum out that area thoroughly- I usually pull the glove box so I can get at the inside also.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks UrScubed....so Im on the right track.

I guess I stopped here b/c I'm somewhat worried that if I mess with the wiper arms by removing them I will never get them back again correctly, and that they might start slipping on the post the next time it rains. Might be a task that requires a chalk mark so you can see where they were when you putt them back.

Seems like I had a car in the past I did this on and they would never get tight again. Dont want the wipers slipping when I'm blazzing down the hwy in a light rain.

** I also remember a bunch of dried leaves up in the vent above the ECU when I took it out last year to put the Hoppen chips in. Makes me think I have no filter for those leaves to get there.

Last edited by GoHeels; 05-11-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I guess I stopped here b/c I'm somewhat worried that if I mess with the wiper arms by removing them I will never get them back again correctly, and that they might start slipping on the post the next time it rains. Might be a task that requires a chalk mark so you can see where they were when you putt them back.
It's not that bad- I just align them to the bottom of the windshield and then test and adjust as needed. The more you crank down on the nuts on the wiper arms, the more secure they are, but you need to be careful not to strip them out- it really doesn't take that much to get them secure.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice...when I get a chance to finish up I'll try and post a few more pics. I'm not sure I'm going to put a filter in there, I just dont want an old dirty one in there dragging down my fan action. I also want to vacuum out all the stuff in there and get it cleaned out at least.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah it's a pain to get at and the wipers definitely have to come off........
Old 05-11-2010, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<http://www.autohausaz.com/> or <www.germanautoparts.com> carry the correct 4A1 820 367 filter. There are many inaccurate online catalogs that list a Bosch carbon impregnated filter but it is too thick and not the correct dimensions for the S6. For those just reading, the UrS4 has no filter holder. It is a 348X213X20 filter and despite the difficulty accessing it, I think it is a help in keeping the a/c clean.

The wiper arms have a spring washer under the nut to keep things tight - don't lose it.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got the Mann filter
fit like a charm on a 1995.5
and Yes,those directions are correct.

MANN-FILTER CU 3562

UPC/EAN Code 4011558247409
web site

http://www.mann-hummel.com/mf_prodka...obackToPage=11
Old 05-12-2010, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I got in there today and finished the job. There was NO filter in there so I cleaned it out real well with a vacuum with creative attachments to get in there. I left mine w/o a filter. I think the suggestions to get into it from the passenger foot-well would be a good idea to clean it out. I vacuumed out the entire area under the main cowel cover while I was in there. Also make sure you set the rear edge and the groove on the filter top before you put the 3 bolts back. The back edge locks in first.

You guys were correct about taking the wipers off, it wasnt to difficult and b/c there are little grooves in there I dont think they will slip later. Only 1 of my wipers had a spring washer...

The upper rain deflector, that has 4 allen bolts, has a screen built into it and mine is deteriorating badly(pic included). It doesnt look like you could replace just the screen unless you re-caulk a new one into it somehow, if you could find some black screen.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and hopefully this will help some others too. Cheers
Attached Images