Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

good deal on Fluidyne transmission coolers $29.95 free shipping

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

w/e
Old 04-27-2007, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha oh boy i wouldnt let him touch my car then!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OK this is were im gonna tell everyone about expierience and hands on dealings with temps

there has been far to much misinformation posted and "well ive heard this and ive heard that" its misleading and 99% of the time its wrong.

coming from a drag racing background i can first hand tell you that heat in your transmission is your enemy.

Also heat becomes your enemy when your lubricant is at such a temp that its well how do you say it nicely GROSSLY INEFFECTIVE!

Now after talking with the people in the US that actually beat and track and rebuild these transmission coolers while not mandatory will very much help prevent damage etc etc.

the excuse of being on the highway for hours in europe, well thats bs as well. Before changing out my tranny fluid in my rs2 box (which has provisions for a cooler but stock it has a line that pumps fluid from center diff to the front).
we did a 150mph run on the highway just ran through all gears and then brought it into the shop now this was a total of a burst to 150 shut down then cruised 65 mph to the shop for 10 minutes tops. the temp at which the tranny fluid was at when drained = if you have the provisions to RUN A TRANNY COOLER especially if tracking or doing high speed runs. Just a quick burst = temperatures high enough to be above the thermal effectiveness of standard tranny oil.

Hence why dahlback and all the bilsport guys run tranny and differential coolers but ya its because they are on the autobahn all the time
Old 04-27-2007, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

you sir would be 100% correct in that statement!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

you also have to take into account that hes not spinning his motor up as high as us etc etc
Old 04-27-2007, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default exactly. a V6, N/A motor making around 200hp

isn't going to be putting as much stress on the transmission as a heavier car, with 400+hp.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OK, what fluid are we talking about cooling, here?

If we are talking about transmission and differential gear oils, then I'd have to say that the vast majority of us do not need such things, even those that track their cars.

For the power steering/hydraulic system, since the factory provided a cooler, I would guess that even for daily driving, a cooler is needed. So, for heavier use, a more robust/effcient cooler might be desired.

Of course, for those of us with FMIC installs, a tube-n-fin cooler works very nicely in place of the stock unit, and installs easily into the area vacated by the stock IC. Some folks also use this location to mount an engine oil cooler of a larger size than the stock item. For folks who run at the track, I'm guessing a bigger engine oil cooler would deliver more benefits than a trans/differential oil coooler.

That's just a guess.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default transmission and differential

your speculation is just that after actually seeing the temp at which my tranny fluid was at after a mere 15 minutes tops of romping on it it was discussed that a tranny cooler would be ideal to prolong the life of my transmission.

Is it absolutely needed no will it help most definately. but since the standard 01e doesnt have the provisions its pretty useless to attempt it.

but then again all this info is from someone whos actually done it! imagine that!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

exactly people really dont understand that.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Then, essentially, I am correct.

The vast majority of us *do not* need trans and diff coolers.

And those very few of us who may *want* them, there is no provision with the stock equipment for mounting them or circulating the oil.

Hardly anyone has the equipment or space to romp on it for 5 minutes, never mind 15 minutes (or longer). And of those who do, who has trans or diff coolers? I'd bet you could count them on one hand with fingers left over.

For folks at RS2 power or less, who don't track their cars and drive mostly as commuter types, it's a complete non-issue.

Quick Reply: good deal on Fluidyne transmission coolers $29.95 free shipping