Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems

I have a 1995 Audi s6 Quattro 2.2 liter turbo 5 speed manual I was driving down the road the other day after leaving work and when I shift into 3rd the gear grind of the little bit and when it made it fully into 3rd I heard a pop the clutch stayed the floor when I was able to get the clutch up and get the car out a gear I have lost 3rd and 4th gear when I manage to putt putt the car back to the shop which was less than a quarter of a mile I had then Lost River start of 4th I was wondering if anybody else has had any of these issues in the past and what possibly could be?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably clutch slave cylinder but it could be the clutch master cylinder.

More info HERE

Old 09-06-2013, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Theres no way, i have 1,2,5 i dont have 34 and reverse.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by audiman1995
and when it made it fully into 3rd I heard a pop the clutch stayed the floor when I was able to get the clutch up and get the car out a gear I have lost 3rd and 4th gear .... I was wondering if anybody else has had any of these issues in the past and what possibly could be?
Originally Posted by UrS4boy
Probably clutch slave cylinder but it could be the clutch master cylinder. More info HERE
Theres no way, i have 1,2,5 i dont have 34 and reverse.
You come here for advice and you ignore it.

Good luck.

(At least check the slave cylinder.)

Last edited by UrS4boy; 09-06-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Im not ignoring your help sir, i have checked the slave and master. If it was one of those two i would still have gears. I wouldnt have lost reverse thord or fourth id still have all my gears. The slave or master fit some of the symptoms but not all of them. The car has no leaks and im still full of fluid.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Im not ignoring your help sir, i have checked the slave and master. If it was one of those two i would still have gears. I wouldnt have lost reverse thord or fourth id still have all my gears. The slave or master fit some of the symptoms but not all of them. The car has no leaks and im still full of fluid.
Then check the integrity of the connection of the two linkages from the shifter to the transmission, i.e. the 25 to 26 connection (see diagram below) or the 39 to 35 connection. Could be that one of the rods has come loose (but this would not lead to the clutch pedal going to the floor, that is still a clutch master/slave issue).

Old 09-07-2013, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I understand the clutch part. Im not all that concerned about it because im sure once i take the tranny out ill see what happened eith that. One of cylinders might now have failed but the clutch plate might have moved or a bolt broelke off or a spring cqme out. It could be a nunber of things including the master or slave.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ill keep ya updated im going to be pulling the linkages and everything apart next week. No time this weekend. Thank you for the advice man.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Similar Shifting Issues

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I think I may have a similar issue.

When my 1995 Audi S6 Avant (364K Miles original engine/tranny) is off, I can shift into gear, however, when it is running, I cannot.

Does this have to do with the slave or clutch master cylinder?

Any info would be great. I don't mind doing the work to fix it myself, I just don't want to fix it until it's broke!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bildozer
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I think I may have a similar issue. When my 1995 Audi S6 Avant (364K Miles original engine/tranny) is off, I can shift into gear, however, when it is running, I cannot. Does this have to do with the slave or clutch master cylinder? Any info would be great. I don't mind doing the work to fix it myself, I just don't want to fix it until it's broke!
Good news is you fix it because it *IS* broken. Your clutch is not working. It isn't releasing, the clutch disc is still engaged with the flywheel. The pressure plate is not being actived to release the disc. It could be the clutch master, the clutch slave cylinder OR just a broken clutch (release arm or pressure plate) You will need to investigate further with the car on a hoist.

A month or two ago, I helped diagnose a 94 UrS4 local to me. Same symptoms as you. Solution was a new clutch kit (pressure plate, disc, pilot bearing and release bearing). And bleeding the clutch master to slave system.

Quick Reply: Transmission problems