Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Audi R8 V10 Spyder a good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi R8 V10 Spyder a good choice?

My first post!

Ok now that that's out of the way, I made an account just to begin a discussion with fellow car enthusiasts to hopefully help me make a decision. I'm in the market for a used super car, and, as an Audi fan, I'm obviously considering an R8. I'm looking for a used weekend/fun super car that has to come as an auto/semi-auto (the wife doesn't drive stick, and I made a promise!) and it has to be a convertible. I took an R8 V10 Spyder out for a spin and I'm concerned about the R-tronic transmission among other things. I've taken a few other cars (F430, Gallardo, Porsche 911 Turbo, etc.) out for a spin, but I'm not sold on what's right for me. I was hoping to hear from people who have experience with R8's who don't write long reviews on the big websites.

Looking to begin a dialogue, so anything you all can do to help to begin the conversation would be helpful!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Archon23
My first post!

Ok now that that's out of the way, I made an account just to begin a discussion with fellow car enthusiasts to hopefully help me make a decision. I'm in the market for a used super car, and, as an Audi fan, I'm obviously considering an R8. I'm looking for a used weekend/fun super car that has to come as an auto/semi-auto (the wife doesn't drive stick, and I made a promise!) and it has to be a convertible. I took an R8 V10 Spyder out for a spin and I'm concerned about the R-tronic transmission among other things. I've taken a few other cars (F430, Gallardo, Porsche 911 Turbo, etc.) out for a spin, but I'm not sold on what's right for me. I was hoping to hear from people who have experience with R8's who don't write long reviews on the big websites.

Looking to begin a dialogue, so anything you all can do to help to begin the conversation would be helpful!
I lost the abilty to work with a clutch around 2010. In late 2012 I drove 2 rtronics (2011 and 2012) and it seemed that each r tronic did its own thing. I personally did not like the rtronic at a stop light but you will get different opinions. I decided to wait for the '14 stronic and pulled the trigger 3 months ago on a RED V10 Spyder. If I were able to drive stick I probably would but the stronic IMO is entirely different than the rtronic. r8talk.com is also a good r8 forum source
Old 01-06-2015, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
I lost the abilty to work with a clutch around 2010. In late 2012 I drove 2 rtronics (2011 and 2012) and it seemed that each r tronic did its own thing. I personally did not like the rtronic at a stop light but you will get different opinions. I decided to wait for the '14 stronic and pulled the trigger 3 months ago on a RED V10 Spyder. If I were able to drive stick I probably would but the stronic IMO is entirely different than the rtronic. r8talk.com is also a good r8 forum source
Thanks Mark. I was thinking I'd end up talking to myself. I'd likely buy the stick as well because of how widely popular they are among reviewers (and my personal experience with Audi's manuals in my '07 S4), but I promised my wife that I'd get something that she could drive. She's tried learning stick and doesn't feel comfortable with them. I'll check out that forum so thanks for the tip.

I've considered hanging tight for a year and looking for a gently used '14 because the s-tronic in the S5 is very responsive. Any regrets 3 months in?
Old 01-09-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Archon23
Thanks Mark. I was thinking I'd end up talking to myself. I'd likely buy the stick as well because of how widely popular they are among reviewers (and my personal experience with Audi's manuals in my '07 S4), but I promised my wife that I'd get something that she could drive. She's tried learning stick and doesn't feel comfortable with them. I'll check out that forum so thanks for the tip.

I've considered hanging tight for a year and looking for a gently used '14 because the s-tronic in the S5 is very responsive. Any regrets 3 months in?
no regrets. I decided you only live once. I had a chance for a pre-owned 2010 white Gallardo spyder (Black roof, blk int) 16 months ago and I also drove a 2013 911 Turbo S - mainly because I didn't know if I would have the patience to wait for the s tronic R8. But the white Gallardo spyder was just too flashy for me. There is also upkeep and tech availability concerns and cost of extended warranty. Too many worries. Its just not me. The 911 Turbo S Cab was amazing but I just really liked the looks of the R8 Spyder and wanted to get a test drive before making any decision

In July 2014 Audi put me on a list and set me up for a test drive in a Michigan V10 spyder that was traveling the SE. They gave me a 2 hour time slot and I spent about half the time driving it. I was hooked after 5 mins. Its docile maneuverability blew me a way. Its day to day driveability feel surprised me with it being much softer than the harsh riding Gallardo and even the Porsche yet the awe-inspiring V10 roar is still there like the Gallardo (even though its tweeked down a bit).

Admittedly I am a bit uneasy at driving it in some places and/or leaving it somewhere far out of sight. I am also trying to get use to the looks and the stares (as they put it on the other forum), especially when I am driving it which creates a bit of discomfort. And I am trying to get use to al the cars that want to race. I'll get use to all of this. I know that it comes with the territory

But the car is definitely me much more so than the Gallardo. Its a sweet car that I am glad I waited for. The s tronic and the way they configured it to down shift and upshift in the r8 was worth the wait.

I haven't taken pics yet but the guy who wrapped it in a clear bra emailed me these 2. They look like "email-quality" pics probably taken with his phone.

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 01-09-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Personally I don't like the R-Tronic gearbox, 'don't like' is actually a massive understatement.

It depends if you have a choice, if you really want an R8 but your budget won't allow a later model then you will just have to make do. If you can get a later one then do it! You will love it.

Otherwise I'd start to look at alternatives as the R-Tronic is a real irritant, especially in traffic.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Beautiful ride Mark and excellent color choice. We need more of the vibrant colors on the road. I love to Estoril Blue Crystal paint color and would hunt for one when the time comes.

I've been reading a lot on the R-tronic and I just don't think it's the right move. My wife would hate the shift patterns, and (I realize I only drove the '11 R8 for 45min) the transmission just feels sluggish. I think I'd rather take the 911 before that. I took a '14 911 Turbo S for a spin a week ago and (aside from it being too cold out to really push it) I really liked the 911. I just don't think it's me, but man the power was just so smooth and the handling was incredible. I can see why so many fall in love with them. I had a friend tell me to take a Jaguar F-Type V8 S out for a spin, but I've not done it yet. I haven't seen an RS5 Cab nearby, but I hear it's surprisingly uninspired for Audi.

The annual Philly Car Show is coming to town end of the month so I may sit in a few different cars to see if there's anything else that I'm not considering at this point. I'm leaning right now to looking for a used '14 R8 V10 Spyder. I'd just have to get over the round exhaust outlets since I love the look of the oval outlets...

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
no regrets. I decided you only live once. I had a chance for a pre-owned 2010 white Gallardo spyder (Black roof, blk int) 16 months ago and I also drove a 2013 911 Turbo S - mainly because I didn't know if I would have the patience to wait for the s tronic R8. But the white Gallardo spyder was just too flashy for me. There is also upkeep and tech availability concerns and cost of extended warranty. Too many worries. Its just not me. The 911 Turbo S Cab was amazing but I just really liked the looks of the R8 Spyder and wanted to get a test drive before making any decision

In July 2014 Audi put me on a list and set me up for a test drive in a Michigan V10 spyder that was traveling the SE. They gave me a 2 hour time slot and I spent about half the time driving it. I was hooked after 5 mins. Its docile maneuverability blew me a way. Its day to day driveability feel surprised me with it being much softer than the harsh riding Gallardo and even the Porsche yet the awe-inspiring V10 roar is still there like the Gallardo (even though its tweeked down a bit).

Admittedly I am a bit uneasy at driving it in some places and/or leaving it somewhere far out of sight. I am also trying to get use to the looks and the stares (as they put it on the other forum), especially when I am driving it which creates a bit of discomfort. And I am trying to get use to al the cars that want to race. I'll get use to all of this. I know that it comes with the territory

But the car is definitely me much more so than the Gallardo. Its a sweet car that I am glad I waited for. The s tronic and the way they configured it to down shift and upshift in the r8 was worth the wait.

I haven't taken pics yet but the guy who wrapped it in a clear bra emailed me these 2. They look like "email-quality" pics probably taken with his phone.