Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Audi R8 VS MB GTS AMG

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi R8 VS MB GTS AMG

Hey Guys,

So i'm making a pretty big jump to the entry level super ranks from an A7. I love my Audi, and would get the RS7 but i'm looking for a convertible. So right now I am looking at a 2014 R8 5.2 and the 2017 Mercedes Benz GTs AMG. Since i'm not familiar with either of the cars minus the research I have done online, I leave it to you current owners to school me a little. The fact that one car is AWD and the other is RWD does not concern me. If you all would be so kind and let me know which route you would choose between these two options.

Thanks !
Old 12-19-2017, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yura89
Hey Guys,

So i'm making a pretty big jump to the entry level super ranks from an A7. I love my Audi, and would get the RS7 but i'm looking for a convertible. So right now I am looking at a 2014 R8 5.2 and the 2017 Mercedes Benz GTs AMG. Since i'm not familiar with either of the cars minus the research I have done online, I leave it to you current owners to school me a little. The fact that one car is AWD and the other is RWD does not concern me. If you all would be so kind and let me know which route you would choose between these two options.

Thanks !
hi but r8 is very nice looking
Old 12-20-2017, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

That's something I pondered recently just for fun. I don't own an R8, but I can drive a gen2 R8 V10 Coupe or Spyder whenever I feel like it. The heart of the R8 experience is the V10, which is by far the best part of it. It's hard to beat a screaming high revving naturally aspirated V10 behind your back. It defines the whole experience. Unfortunately, to my disappointed it's mated to a terrible AWD system. I was very disappointed with the driving dynamics the first time I drove the R8. Understeers like a pig and is rather unpredictable going into oversteer once you pushed through that initial understeer. Audi Sport clearly tried to make the car safe for those with more money than driving skills. I've never driven the gen1 R8, but my understanding is that it is more of a handful to drive fast and the AWD system is worse. This is not just my driving. It has been pointed out by profressionals such as Randy Pobst. Here's what he said about the R8 vs the RS5:

Given how high Randy was on the 507, we figured the less powerful, heavier RS 5 had no shot. We couldn’t have been more wrong. Posting a best lap of 1:42.97, it was 0.48 second quicker, but Randy’s comments suggested more like 4.8 seconds. “The R8 should be half this good! This car is fantastic. I adore it. It does such a great job utilizing all-wheel-drive traction off the corner, with zero push. You just drive in there and you think it’s too early, but you just floor it and you’re like, man, I should’ve gotten on the gas sooner. And no push, no oversteer — it just drives right out of there, beautifully carving an exit line, using all the power. The gearbox is also very friendly. I just got more confident with carrying speed in and trusting the grip.”
Source: 2014 Audi RS 5 vs. 2014 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG 507 Comparison - Motor Trend

Since I own an RS5 and know the R8, he couldn't have said it any better. The V10 is awesome no doubt, but the driving dynamics are disappointing. The R8 V10 RWS would be my choice if it's ever sold in the US. The Lambo Hurracan suffers from the same issue btw, given they are built on the same drivetrain and the rear wheel drive Hurracan is also dynamically a much better car.

As for the AMG GT S. I haven't driven it yet, but I have driven the C63 S. Was considering it as a replacement for my RS5. The GT S and C63 S both have the same engine, but the GT S has a proper dual clutch transmission vs the aweful MCT in the C63. Needless to say, I didn't like the C63. Interestingly enough, one of the things I didn't like was the sound. To me, AMGs sound way too much like American muscle cars, and I felt like I was driving a truck. The engine sound while V8 burbling, crackling and banging in Sport+, it never quite builds up to anything interesting. It's loud even at low speeds, which I don't like. The way the RS5 V8 and the R8 V10 build up the sound on the way to their 8000+ rpm redline just sounds so much better and more pleasing. However, dynamically the GT S is supposed to be amazing and if it was down to the R8 vs the GT S, I probably would go with the GT S, but to be honest, in that case my choice would be the GT C or GT R.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-20-2017 at 08:50 AM.