Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Best way to repair this dent/ding

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to repair this dent/ding

Before this current madness hit, someone opened a door into the rear quarter panel of my A4 at the park and ride. The result is a standard size door ding (~1/2"), but with paint damage as well. I put a small amount of touch-up paint into the chipped area for protection, but the ding regularly catches my eye due to it's location and I'd really to get it repaired.

I don't need the repair to be 100% invisible, but my hope is that I'd need to look for the spot to find it instead of the current eye catching state. What's the best way to repair this? A bodyshop and painting most/all of the panel seems like overkill and has other potential downsides. Would paintless dent removal plus having a good detail shop touch-up and sand likely lead to a good result?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2020, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Your local dent doctor, all day long.

Part 2: If desired, you could get the Dr Colorchip paint kit and slowly build up that huge gouge in the paint.

Last edited by uberwgn; 04-16-2020 at 04:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bpp (01-01-2021)
Old 04-16-2020, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn

Part 2: If desired, you could get the Dr Colorchip paint kit and slowly build up that huge gouge in the paint.
Thanks for your thoughts. Paintless dent removal is definitely the way that I'm leaning.

I actually have Dr. Colorchip for this car and my wife's car. The color match is fantastic and I can get pretty good repairs in stone chips, but my luck with other types of damage isn't as good. That's why I'm interested in a detail shop where they can overfill and then sand.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

What's the difference with getting paint from Colorchip or getting the same from the car manufacturer?
Old 01-01-2021, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

You would think that OEM would be the perfect match.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by KevinGary
You would think that OEM would be the perfect match.
Yeah, kind of figured that. Sooooo, I'm riding home last evening on the NB Harlem River Drive - on the approach to the GW Bridge and as a car passed on my left, I heard and felt a loud noise/bang. Of course I knew some type of object, probably a rock - not a pebble hit my door. When I got home, I saw the dent in the driver side door and it went through to bare metal. Now, the good news is that it's on the very bottom of the door and the car is a metallic grey so it's not all that noticeable, but the bad news is that the car is not even a month old. And the ironic news is that I had PPF put on the front end and fenders, but did not elect for a more extensive PPF to cover the doors. I'll look into my options ala Dent Doctor or doing it myself ala directions posted here. Oh, the joys of car ownership.....
Old 01-01-2021, 04:31 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Dent Doctor FTW

Originally Posted by uberwgn

Forget Part 2. Tried this procedure on small chips over the years many times, you need the patience of a snail and in the end I created more work because the surrounding areas needed to be tweaked too. I took my Audi to the dealer where a Dent Dr came once or twice a week and tells you if he can do it or not. Then and only then you are free to do whatever you need for self-satisfaction. .02
Old 01-01-2021, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bpp
Forget Part 2. Tried this procedure on small chips over the years many times, you need the patience of a snail and in the end I created more work because the surrounding areas needed to be tweaked too. I took my Audi to the dealer where a Dent Dr came once or twice a week and tells you if he can do it or not. Then and only then you are free to do whatever you need for self-satisfaction. .02
Good point. DD is a franchise and I read a few horror stories, but if I did go that route, I would use a DD that works on cars at the dealership.
The following users liked this post:
bpp (01-02-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 12:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your local dent Repairer,.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Hit up the Dr Dent who is affiliated at your local dealership - the good ones can perform “magic”!