91 Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Help

Ive been looking for a rebuild kit for my car not sure if there is one out there. My car is a 2.3 91 Audi 100 doesnt have a turbo and isnt quattro. The body is in nice shape i just dont wanna get rid of the car and it needs work on the engine. So if someone could point me in the right direction to find a rebuild kit for my car i would greatly appreciate it

Thx Jamie
Old 01-19-2007, 05:46 AM
No Bozos!

Default What do you want to rebuild and why?

Why do you think the motor needs rebuilding? What specifically is wrong with it?

Oh, and I know where there's another one of those for sale, cheap probably. Or I should say at least I knew where there WAS one for sale. The guy wanted to get rid of it quickly, but I wasn't interested so I don't know what happened to it.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: What do you want to rebuild and why?

Oh it needs some stuff like head gasket and its just loud and should the idol be at 2k caus thats what it is at. Theres a gage its the bar gage and that goes up to like 5 and when i got the car it never did that and i cant find a trans filter that will fit and that needs changed. I guess i wanna know where i could find a full gasket kit for one of these engines. Its a nice car just needs some work and the kid that had it before me put a big exhaust on it and it just sounds funny lol. My dad and i plan on doing it and just wounderin where to find things for the 5 clinder. Thx for the help
Old 01-19-2007, 01:15 PM
No Bozos!

Default Ok

Well loud doesn't neccesitate a rebuild only a new exhaust.

I'm more into 90's so my sources are related to that. But just Google for Audi parts and see what pops up. A few places you might want to at least look into are Force5Auto.com, GermanAutoParts.com, Autohausaz.com.

At Force5 you want to talk to Chris, tell him I referrd you.

Why do you think the headgasket is bad? Lack of compression, foamy oil, white smoke?

Gasket sets are available at the two online places I gave you. And you can find a trans filter right here.<ul><li><a href="http://www.germanautoparts.com/Audi/100/Transmission/86">Trans Filter</a></li></ul>
Old 01-19-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Ok

yup lots of white smoke on start up and when im just sittin there at a light or something. Thx for the links
Old 01-20-2007, 06:39 PM
No Bozos!

Default Got it, sounds about right then

With the cast iron block and aluminum head it's not terribly unusual. You really want to avoid overheating the I5.

When you pop the head look carefully between 4&amp;5 you may see where it blew through, that seems to be a common area. Cylinder 5 seems to be the hottest, especially in older motors due to being at the back and also the design of the water jacket.

Depending on how much you have to take off the head, you may want to consider a slightly thicker head gasket to compensate for the timing difference the shaving could cause.

Some BTDT, when replacing the timing belt use the OEM Conti belt. And use an OEM headgasket. If you go back in the forums from a couple years back there was some discussion of aftermarket gaskets having very small water ports. A common cause of overheating. In going to the online sites many carry off-brands and OEM, go for the OEM. It'll only cost a few bucks more. Oh and if you replace the waterpump go for the metal gear.