Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

A4 1.8t reliability and ease of mod's

Old 03-14-2001, 05:08 AM
JET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 1.8t reliability and ease of mod's

I have a buddy that is pretty set on getting an A4 1.8t and I was wondering on the ease of mod's and the reliability compared to my Talon AWD.
1- My talon can run 28psi without opening up the engine, how about the max on the A4?
2- How much HP can you make before you hit a major mod (over $800 or so). 300 on the talon (FMIC)
3- Does the drive train have any major weaknesses?

Just for reference, I am running low 12's in my talon for ~$3,000, hoping for high 11's once it is tuned a little better. What is the wall for the A4 where you have to do major work?
Old 03-14-2001, 06:34 AM

Default Lot more expensive parts and harder to work on. Not a car for modding up engine.

You can boost it to 20psi but you need a bigger turbo so you are looking at 4-5k$. I would not buy an A4 if you want to do 12s. I would only do suspension and wheel/tyre mods. Improving handling is better than any engine upgrade. The 200hp is good enough unless you like to do drag strips which I can not understand why someone would buy an A4 and just do drag racing.
I know some people that ran high boost on their Talons/Eclipses (~25psi) and they eventually blew it up!@@!...hehe.
Talon/Eclipse is a better buy if you want 4wd and lots of boosted power. You take a hit on fit & finish (Talon is cheap looking compared to A4) and resale.
Old 03-14-2001, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: A4 1.8t reliability and ease of mod's

Hi,

Well a DSM will have MUCH better potential and ROI for making power and drag racing...

I chose my A4 to be lightly modded (for now, future we'll see) but to remain a street car daily driver. I have my GSR to autox and drag race, heh.

An A4 with stock turbo can make a little over ~200 HP flywheel. Prob run a low 15 or even high 14 1/4 mile at ~1 bar of boost. The bottom-end is pretty stout, and with a bigger turbo can prob take ~300 HP and ~20 lbs of boost or so. With that much power (Stage III kit) you are prob gonna be into the 13s. At that point, you would want bigger brakes and a better clutch. It will also cost a lot.

Anyway, potential, esp for the cost, is not nearly as good as a DSM, but go drive an A4 and it's really just a diff type of car...

FB
Old 03-14-2001, 07:41 AM

Default U wanna fast car? Call me up, i have a couple mods on my car that u might like...

Twin 2.8 with quad turbos on each engine.
Nissan skyline front mount Intercooler, in the front, roof and the rear bumper.
21 inch cross drilled, slotted rottors
23 inch blades with rubber bands
impla pimp seats for maxium comfort
Mirror tints
the virgin marry airbrushed on the hood
Pool table, italin style pool, with high dive, slides and inflatable alagator.
pro 300 shot for each cylinder for a total of 26000 NOS hp.
Thats is a small list of the things i have done to my ride, MUCH MORE TO COME, like DSS entertainment system, and full bar. PIMP PIMP
Old 03-14-2001, 10:49 AM

Default Saurkraut vs. Rice (Apples vs. Oranges)

Hiya,

My advice: A4 is not a drag car. There are a few here who do, and enjoy it, and make great times (Lucas comes to mind), but this is a sport sedan, more akin to a 3-series BMW, Saab 9-3's, and the like. If your buddy would have more fun drag racing and comparing time-slips with you, get a good used DSM and be happy making 12 second timeslips. ;-)

It seems from your post that you are comparing the ultimate hp cabability of a car as a measure of its worth (A4 isn't as good if it can't do 12 second 1/4 miles), if this is the case, ditch the DSM and get some good Detroit iron with a V8 and make 11 sec timeslips for even less $$$ than the DSMs.

In reality, the 1.8L block used in the Auid/VWs is vastly superior in durability to the 2.0L in the DSMs, as it was originally a block engineered to handle the higher compression of diesel operation. Unofficial word from Audi engineers has put the ultimate hp figure (the "wall", without replacement of any internal component) at 400hp.

Also, Audi engineers wisely made the weak link in the drivetrain the clutch. Since this is a "wear-able", meant to be replaced eventually part, if it fails it will save the drivetrain serious damage if something foolish is attempted. With DSM 4wds, it is the expensive-to-replace spider gear in the center diff that will go first.

Ballpark prices for hp levels:
200hp from a chip $400
210hp from chip/exhaust $1000
240hp from chip/exhaust/K04 $2500
300hp will cost $5000 from APR

In summary more money per hp for the Audi than the DSM. If you or your friend have lost interest, read no further.

What does the Audi offer?
A balanced sport sedan (obvious, but 2 more doors alone put the car into a different class) to enjoy everyday and have some weekend fun at the track.
Ultimately better brakes than the DSM, with bolt-on upgrades from the A8 and Porsche.
Ultimately better 4wd system (remember, the one that was banned as an unfair advantage in Euro Trans Am).
Ultimately better handling, with parts available that are identical to those on winning race cars, if you so choose.
In summary, the A4 is about balance, not about being the best in any category.

Tell your buddy good luck with his decision!

Cheers,

Michael
Old 03-14-2001, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saurkraut and Rice go together for a good breakfast :P
Old 03-14-2001, 11:48 AM

Default Re: A4 1.8t reliability and ease of mod's

"1- My talon can run 28psi without opening up the engine....? "

For how long. A friend just had to have the lower end on his 98 GSX rebuilt (excess end play on the crank) running the typical upgrades @about 300HP.

"1- ...how about the max on the A4?"

Reliably (no nitrus) you can get close to 300HP but you will think you bought another engine for the costs of the add-ons.

"2- How much HP can you make before you hit a major mod (over $800 or so). 300 on the talon (FMIC)"

After the chip and intake, everything costs over $800. FMIC's are running over $1000. Garrett turbo setups can set you back $5000 or more. This isnt a cheap car to modify. If he wants a drag strip car that doesnt cost a lot he should buy a Mustang.
Old 03-14-2001, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Expert

you are a ****ing moron.
Old 03-14-2001, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The first of your posts I've laughed at!
Old 03-14-2001, 11:24 PM

you can't even compare the two

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A4 1.8t reliability and ease of mod's