Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

B6 A4 performance question

Old 03-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B6 A4 performance question

hey guys im new here and new to the Audi world. i built drag mustangs for years but decided it was time to step up and got a 2005 Audi A4 1.8T quattro sport with all the toys in a 6spd. im out of warranty now and am looking to make this car not such a dog, shes a little sluggish and would like slightly more get up and go from the little turbo motor. what are my options here? oh and really stupid question.... is there a way to get the turbo to vent to atmosphere? i've never had a turbo car before and kinda want the sound thanks

Shane
Old 03-18-2009, 07:20 AM

Default You have a lot of options for that car

We offer power upgrades starting with simple software, to a K04 turbo to our GT28R turbo kit which puts the car at about 300 hp.

The B6 A4 lends itself nicely to just about anything. We offer power upgrades, performance brake parts and complete brake kits, suspension from basic spring and shock combinations to coilovers and sway bars.

It all depends on exactly what you are looking for.

As far as venting to atmosphere, that's a no no with these cars. The engine management computers monitor boost pressure on both sides of the system. Blowing off will read as a "boost deviation" or a boost leak and could trigger a check engine light. Cool sound, but at the cost of performance and additional turbo lag. We have upgraded diveter valves but none that blow off to atmosphere. We do not recommend "blow-off" valves.

Check out our web site and drop me a line or give me a call if you need anything.

www.awe-tuning.com

jvoss@awe-tuning.com
Old 03-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

bah thats ok i figured that would be the case i had problems with superchargers on mustangs with the same thing.

i will for sure check out the site i just want a little more go. ive already upgraded to cross drilled and slotted rotors with EBC greenstuff pads it stopped fine anyways but the OEM brakes were cooked and these ones were cheaper than factory anyways. suspension is actually pretty good id rather throw black 18"s than lower it. but as far as performance goes you will be hearing from me.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:37 PM

Default these cars are different

They were built for turbos unlike mustangs and other muscle cars. The hardware and software are specifically engineered to be a perfect match in every way for the car. These are not one size fits all parts by any means. However, if you do not want to upgrade the turbo, we can still get you more power by just flashing the computer. We use GIAC software which gets you 30 hp in base form and 40 with the addition of injectors and FX software. No reliability issues and it remains as streetable as it is now.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

another question for you, cat back exhaust systems? are they big money for these cars? do i have to do a full catback or can i just weld in mufflers. my wife wants more growl out of it she keeps seeing an S4 around with an exhaust and she wants ours to sound like that...... i know it cant but at least it can sound better. the K04 upgrade is looking like the most bang for the buck at this point but i am not sure if i shouldent start smaller. what are the most common entry level cheapies that i can do?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 AM

Default we would love to be able to make the A4 sound like an S4

But, well, that's just not going to happen. too few cylinders.

You could weld in mufflers but that probably will just get you more noise. Our cat back for the car is $999.00 for the Silver tipped 6 speed version. You can get Diamond Black tips for a few bucks more. It offers a larger diameter pipe from the cat all the way back to the tip. This, as you know, gets you actual power increases AND great sound. Check the sound clips out on our web site. It has a nice powerful tone without being obnoxiously loud.

The most common first steps are Software, exhaust and air filter. Then move to larger turbos. With 40 hp gains, the software and injectors are probably the best dollar per horsepower mods.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

good to know im going to cruise your site and check what best suits what i need. we were thinking about just getting a new one but nothing comes in stick anymore. my wife doesent like the new A4 its too big and i dont want a FWD A3 and nothing else comes manual so looks like doing this one up a tad is my only option as of now.

where are you located anyways where would i go for installs.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:11 PM

Default Good Choice

You can save a lot by not buying a new car and using less cash to upgrade what you already have.

We are in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania. There is a map of our location on our web site. We are a fully equipped facility here. We can do all installations. If you are not local to us, I can probably point you in the direction of a good installer near you. Most decent shops can handle installing our parts. They are designed to be direct fit with nothing out of the ordinary needed to do the job. The software will have to be done here, you can come by or just send me the computer for a day.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:34 AM
Banned

so you are planning to get turbo motor for your 2005 Audi A4 1.8T quattro sport.you should consult to engineers of that car they will show you right direction.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

... i dont really understand what you are trying to say there big guy.

anyways John im in the toronto area i know there are a few good Audi shops around here but they are hard to find for some reason. if you know of any around here that would be awesome. if the dollar gets out of the crapper though i will come down there and see you for the installs