Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

boost problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost problem?

I have a 01 with mtm chip, just did downpipes and my local shop tells me i have a boost or power problem. Sometimes the car seems extremely fast and sometimes it is like driving an a4. My shop is going to swap chips and ecu with another set to see if this is the problem. Has anyone ever heard of this? Please let me know.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:35 AM

Default Re: boost problem?

Are you seeing any CE lights? What fuel are you burning? Did you have any issues w/the car before the chip? Which downpipe? Still got the stock cat? Have you attempted to pull codes with a Vag or something similar?
Old 06-08-2003, 09:16 AM

I have had the chip for about 2yrs. I am running 93 octane (premium) since I have had the car. When i bought the car with 18,000 it had recently been chipped. I just had my local shop do the downpipes on Friday. I have a complete miltek system with there cats. The car has no engine lights on, what do you mean by CE lights? My shop wants to check the codes and components on Monday. Thank you for your response.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:52 PM

Yes - CE as in Check Engine light. Just wondering.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:34 PM

Could this be a bypass valve adjustment? i have forge hyperboost valves.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:39 PM

Just went out driving with a budy (he has a 2000 with same chip and basic setup). Car seams to be ok threw 3 gear, then on the highway seems to "boog" down and puff a little black smoke. Could it also be that I need to change FPR (fuel pressure regulator)?
Old 06-08-2003, 05:25 PM
No Bozos!

Default We just

ran into the same problem at STPR this past weekend. We lost most of the noost, and when you jumped on it, it would just bog. The most we were seeing was 6 psi. Disonnecting the vacuum to the wastgate fixed the problem till it got into service, but it was still a mystery. We rounded up all the Audi guru's around including Constantine, a guy who used to crew for Bruno, the guy who built the motor, and the consensus was that the bypass was sticking. Without any parts we ended up stretching out the spring, and that got us 7psi of boost, enough so we could at least finish the event.
Post mortum is next.

Not the car in this pic BTW, this one is NA.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:40 PM

Default Re: We just

thanks for the info. The more i think about it seems like a bypass valve or fuel pressure reg. I have to find out how to check/clean/adjust the forge hyper boost valves.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:34 AM
mau
AudiWorld Senior Member

A boost gauge would be nice if you don't have one. The best way to find out if the valve is sticking is to do a two hard 2-3 gear run to get the valves very hot, the reason for this is because heat tends to make them more vulnerable to failure. After that, do a hard run from 1-3rd gear run and see if it sticks. You should look for between the shifts, that's when it should stick. Make sure you do quick shifts.

Mau
Old 06-09-2003, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the idea, the car is in the shop. Having a new fpr put on the car. Hopefully everything will be fixed.

Quick Reply: boost problem?