Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Chip for 2.8?? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2000, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip for 2.8?? Please help!

My warranty is finishing soon and i'm planning on putting a chip on my 98.5 30V Tip. I was told by the guy who works in a modification shop that i should put the neuspeed chip (9hp).He goes to me it's better than the Giac one. Also he suggested me to put an K&N air filter. I was also planing to put a Remus exhaust for the extra power that the salesperson told me about. He claim to me that with all those mod, i'll be a little bit faster than a 2.8 with 5 speed. Is that true???? and if it is, baby i'm so happy )
Basicaly my questions are.....have anyone of you guys who owns a 2.8 30v and chip it, what u think about this mod, and which chip should i go with. Also what u think about the comment that the salesrep told me.......am I gonna get all that power or it's only a marketing strategy to make me buy all that stuff. He told me also, with the remus(specialy made for audi) and not the universal one, i'll be getting around 12hp if i put the chip. So overall, i should be having around 18 to 20hp with all this mods.
Note: i'm not hopping that with all this mods my car will be a rocket.......but at least it will be as fast as a 5 speed one.

thanks guys!! I realy appreciate your help!!
Old 12-10-2000, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Chip for 2.8?? Please help!

If you are willing to shell out the bucks, new camshafts can pack quite a bit of power.

After talking to votrag motersports about my 12v 2.8, he said I could get at 60hp boost replacing them.
The downside is, it would cost $3,500
ouch
Old 12-10-2000, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Chip for 2.8?? Please help!

thanks........but I have the 30V. Is it possible on my car? and the price is in us$......because me i'm from canada.
Old 12-10-2000, 08:51 PM

$3500 for cams !?!?
Old 12-10-2000, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default hmm ...

To be quite honest, you might not feel anything at all different. Chipping a 30v with a tip may not feel much gain because you don't stay in the gears where the power band is bumped. And the engine chip won't change your shifting either, which is another source of delay.

The air filter - again highly overinflated claims of about 5 HP improvement. It's been heavily debated on the board, but the general consensus is that the gains from changing to the K&N are somewhat offset by the potential for increased exposure to particles and the hassle of cleaning it. It's up to you, but it's a cheap upgrade in either case.

The Remus muffler is just a muffler too. There isn't that much of a restriction in the muffler to get a 12 hp upgrade. In fact I hope you don't lose HP from the free-flowing muffler. Yes, it's better than a universal can, but it also costs more for what is primarily a cosmetic and sound enhancement.

I don't mean to be a pessimist, but I highly doubt that a 30v chip and a remus exhaust with tip will pass a 30v 5 spd. I don't say that to be mean, just want to give you some counterpoint to the claims that you've been hearing.

If I were you, I would get a suspension put in, you'll definitely feel the improvement with that (not in speed, but in performance). Then, start saving up for the PES and you'll be ready for some real fun.
Old 12-11-2000, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, PES it. =)
Old 12-11-2000, 06:01 AM

Default NO!

someone has some info very wrong here...
We can find 60+hp in the 2.8 12v by doing various things, and cams are one of those options.
HOWEVER, cams for the 12v do NOT cost $3500, our big valve head conversion does. Incedently, to my knowledge cams are not available for the 30v cars at this time.

Jason Charron
Vortrag Motorsports
Old 12-11-2000, 11:06 AM
Elder Member

Default I agree with Brian

Also, I am pleased with my 17" rims and the performance they offered.

Reggie

98.5 2.8QMS no chip no PES no suspension mods.
Old 12-11-2000, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for correcting, I was about to chime in starting with "BS"
Old 12-11-2000, 05:51 PM

Default Re: hmm ...

Thanks man.......i realy appreciate your help. So you think it's really not worth it to spend my money on those kind of tuning....but rather go with better suspensions, shocks and new bigger wheels and tires. Well, i guess i have learned my lesson by getting a automatic car ) But i'll catch up on my next car.....probably a Boxster....hopefully i'll get it in the begining of summer. So i will have the audi for the winters up her in canada........and the porsche to cruise around in summer

And thanks again for your advices bro!

Quick Reply: Chip for 2.8?? Please help!