Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Coilover install tips requested from the gurus...

Old 01-05-2001, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover install tips requested from the gurus...

I know I'm asking a lot of questions here, so sorry. I'm hoping that someday, I'll know almost as much as it seems others do about these cars. Anyways, I am about to install KONI coilovers on the A4, and was hoping to get some tips on the install. I have a mechanic who may help, but I really want to try it myself. I feel like doing the work makes me appreciate the car that much more, and helps me learn about the car more. So, without too much more babbling, are there any things I should watch out for, or any tricks to doing this, so that I'm not posting this time next week with a capital ARGGGGHHHHH?? Thanks again guys....you're all helping me learn about this stuff, and hopefully someday, I can help you out....
Old 01-05-2001, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tell your mechanic to rounden the ends of the front spring on the perch side with a dremel tool...

this will facilitate easy rotation of the adjustable perch. Using grease on the perch is good too.

Jack up front evenly, not just one side at a time so that you do not have to outmuscle the sway bar. Use jack stands - on the subframe - not the rinky dink jacking point.

don't set the perches too low as the springs will sag by as much as 1/4inches in a few weeks. Then slowly thereafter as in normal springs

Drop from stock non sport is from 0.75 to about 3". Good idea to set them midpoint if you like a 2" drop. The rears may differ a bit, but they are easy to spin around

Start with a 40% rebound adjustment (1 turn front, 4 quarter sweeps rear)

If you have lawn chairs set them next to your finished project call for pizza and beer and enjoy the new look

Good Luck
Old 01-06-2001, 01:00 PM

Default More coilover questions...

Is there an accurate way to adjust the suspension so that the car is the same height all around? We got the rear suspension on OK, but one side is slightly higher than the other. I know it can be adjusted with the rings, but is there a way to make it accurate? Also, what's the best way to get the boot over the lower strut housing? Thanks again for answering my questions everyone!!
Old 01-06-2001, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Height adjustment...

Well you can measure the height from the ground to the top of the fender, that will give you a frame of reference. Also, you may wish to measure this when you're sitting in the front seat (well adjust it for how the car will typically be loaded) because you want it to be level during driving.

Truthfully, you should get your car aligned because you have changed the ride height, so this will affect the alignment. It's a very good idea that you do this. When you're doing this, if it's a good shop, you can get the car "corner balanced" where they put each wheel on a scale and adjust things (with you sitting in the car) so it's perfectly balanced when you're in it. That's the BEST solution, and no way can you do it yourself!

-B