Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Crap, limp mode again

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crap, limp mode again

After almost a full day of commuting with no issues, I went into limp mode when I was nearly home. I did a quick check on the vac lines and they still look good.

What other issues can cause limp mode? Probably a lot... I probably need to VAG it then narrow down the problems, but if anyone has ideas, PLMK.

Thanks,

FB
Old 06-03-2002, 03:04 PM

Default Check your valve. The car will go into limp if the ecu is told that your boost sensor

gets a lower reading then what the ecu is requesting for boost. If the valve stays open for any reason there will not be enough pressure at the boost sensor.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hmmmm, so probably still a leak somewhere?

The valve is brand new and everything looks good I think.

I replaced the vac line from the dv to the intake mani, from the front of the car under the intake manifold, and the short one on top. Does the vac line in the back have anything to do with boost? Any other vac lines to check?

Maybe a hose is bad somewhere as well...

I'll let the car finish cooling off and take a look later.

I want to just get every hose and every vac line replaced, lol.

Thanks,

FB
Old 06-03-2002, 10:41 PM

Default Which valve are you using and if you are using a bosch valve

is it in the right way. If it is in backwards it will rip in a short time with the extra boost the chip makes.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default New Bailey DV, and double-checked orientation:

Vac line is obvious. Longer hose goes into the "bottom" opposite the vac line. Short stubby hose goes into the "side" of the DV, perpindicular to the vac line. Sound right?

I'll see if it's still in limp mode today.

Actually, I thought of something else. I didn't have the right clamps at the store, not small enough. The vac line is smaller ID than stock, and fits pretty snug on the nipple. The clamp kind of goes "oval," so it may not be sealing properly. Dumb question: could it leak right at the nipple even if the hose fits snug? Should I not use the clamp at all so it seals better? I know, just get proper clamps...

Thanks,

FB
Old 06-04-2002, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default When is the last time you got new software?

My car would go into limp due to postive and negative boost deviation errors. The newer software has the thresholds for these errors raised a little bit so they are much less common.

-Brent
Old 06-04-2002, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hmmmm,

Got the chip about a month ago from Shine Racing in Walpole, MA.

I think it's the latest version, but I'll check. Thanks for the heads up.

BTW, does limp mode just go away after a little while, even if you don't turn the car off? I got it yesterday, turned car off at a light, and it was still there when I turned car back on. I got limp mode on the way to work, but after driving for awhile it seemed to be boosting again...

I guess I answered my own question, but can someone confirm this?

Take care,

FB
Old 06-04-2002, 09:36 AM

Default I thought the after market valves go with

the bottom to the turbo side and the side to the return, maybe the bailey goes in different. As for the nipple and small vac line, you can just put a small wire tie/zip tie on it to hold it in place.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Does your CEL come on?

Boost codes don't generally throw a CEL because they aren't related to emissions. So max boost exceeded, negative and positive deviation wouldn't throw a check engine but WILL put you in limp mode if you have older software. If you just got it within the last month then hopefully it's good but you never know when a shop is using a tried and true old version of code.

If your CEL *IS* coming on it might just be your BPV sticking open and causing the car to run super rich, misfire and die but I don't think that would cause a limp mode...

How about EPC light? is that thing coming on? If that's the case then it could possibly be your MAF reading out of whack and screwing up the torque calculations and sending you to limp.

Some limp codes won't go away with a key off/key on, I don't know why this is. They have to be cleared out of the ECU fault codes *OR* the problem has to go away putting the fault code in intermittent status and giving you your power back.

-Brent
Old 06-05-2002, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default No CEL - more detail

Thanks for that info, I still have to double-check with the shop (Shine).

No CEL no EPC light. Actually, I'm not sure what the EPC light it, but I'm not getting any lights. =)

It seems like I get the problem if I try to floor it from low rpm, like <2500 rpm. It hits 3000 rpm and I'll boost, but then the next time I try to get boost, there is none. I think this mode where I get no boost is limp mode, right? Then, after awhile, it will be back to normal. Strange, huh?

Restarting the car doesn't necessarily clear the state, but after driving a little more it seems to be back to normal...

Could my BPV orientation be wrong, like it's sticking then I get boost back when it 'lets go'? Again, it's a new rebuildable bailey, and I have the vac line in the obvious place, short hose that points "up" connects perpindicular to the vac line or on the "side" of the dv. The longer hose that hangs down from turbo goes into the "bottom" of the DV. As far as I can tell, this is correct.

Any ideas?

Thanks again, appreciate the feedback.

FB

Quick Reply: Crap, limp mode again