Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Electronic Boost controller?

Old 04-02-2003, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Boost controller?

Hi guys, since I got my chip Ive been having some problems holding boost.. When I go WOT quickly, boost spikes at or above 25psi then drops like a ton of bricks to 11psi or less..

Recently I went down to PES to talk to Tony about the problem.. He drove my car and said that with my 3" cat back exhaust the turbo spooled too fast for the N75 to react and when the ECU sees the boost spike that high it jumps in and closes the throttle.. He then suggested an electronic boost controller..

When I asked him if I would lose my safety sensors he said that the car will still be able to close the throttle in case it needs.. Well, it sounds like a good idea, no more spikes, and holding the boost I want, but what happens if I get a bad tank of gas.. Will the ECU close the throttle or pull back timing?

What happens if I get a huge tear in one of my hoses and the EBC sensor thinks Im only pushing 2psi while requested is 19psi.. Will it try to match my requested amount by making the turbo work harder, eventually blowing my turbo?

Are there any other circumstances that I should be worried about if I got an EBC?

Are there any circumstances in which the ECU will pull back boost to avoid engine damage?

Thanks

John
Old 04-02-2003, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Electronic Boost controller?

<ul><li><a href="http://www.urs4.com/technical/engine/UrS4_boost_controllers.html">click</a></li></ul>
Old 04-02-2003, 11:25 PM
Elder Member

Default The EBC just sets the boost level.

The stock boost sensor will make sure you dont run too much boost or too little boost. Your injector pulse is also controlled adjusted by the Maf readings, so if your boost drops off so will your maf readings and your injectors will adjust.

Just so you know, I am running a K04 J31 chip that produces up to 27 psi and I am running a HKS EVC 4 boost controller to hold the boost down to 12-18psi.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I understand that it only controls boost

Okay, so if boost drops the stock sensors will jump in and say what the hell. The EBC on the other hand will do what? :/ The EBC has a boost sensor.. right? So won't the EBC try to up boost so it is matching the requested???

BTW.. How hard is it to install? I was checking out apexis but that thing is close to $600.. :/
Old 04-03-2003, 05:35 AM

Default what about the "race" N75...would that help?..just tossing out ideas....

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/n75-info.html
Old 04-03-2003, 06:49 AM
Elder Member

Default No the ebc wont up the boost.

It just produces what you tell it to.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:18 AM

Default Don't even think about it...

That would make his problem even worse.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:23 AM

Default I think what he is asking is ... Will the EBC try to realize the requested boost even tho a boost

leak prevents it from being realized, i.e., over spin the turbo trying to compensate.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:02 AM
Elder Member

Default It should not, since it just goes by what you program in and

the pressure that comes in thru the line from the compressor housing. Now with my EVC 4 there is function that allows the EBC to adjust boost levels as the turbo starts to wear out and levels drop off a little. But they say not to use that feature and to leave it off.

The ebc has no other sensors to allow it to bump up the boost if there is a leak after the turbo. BTW only the dbw stock setup was able to do that since there is a boost sensor in the IC tube just before the throttle body.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agh, so the EBC's boost sensor is on the turbo.. gotcha..

I thought it would be located after the turbo.. Uhmm.. Damm, so does install require drilling a whole into the turbo? :/ Not too sure I like that idea..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electronic Boost controller?