Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Misfire prob

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 09:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire prob

I just recently took my car into the dealership to check out a misfire at idle. Anyhow they did diagnose it as having a sparatic misfire and they said all they could do is clear codes ($75). Now since the car is chipped, I have purchased 2 degree cooler spark plugs to see if this fixes it. I heard from some people that when increasing boost it is a good idea to use colder plugs. Is there any other things I should consider? Could something be wrong with the ECM? I asked a tech at AWE and he said since I've had the chip in there for so long (1.7 years) that it should not be the problem. Any inpput gents? Anyone have similar problems with misfire?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Elder Member

Default The colder plugs might increase the misfire issue you have at idle.

1 step cooler is good enough for being chipped, but this will only help during hard wot runs and not help your idle misfire issue.

Have you checked the plugs that are in the car to see what they look like and what their gap settings are? I would also do a compression check on the motor. A loss in compression can cause the car to misfire at idle and run a little richer during boost. Another thing to check is you injectors, move them around and see if the issue moves. Same goes with your coil packs. The last thing I would look at is your maf, if the readings jump up and down for some reason this can cause the ecu to give too much fuel at set times which can cause your idle misfire issue.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: The colder plugs might increase the misfire issue you have at idle.

I thought maybe I had foulded the plugs out or something, but I am going to swap them out here soon. By moving the injectors and coil packs...do you mean swap them around? I thought a possible cause would be dirty injectors or something. So is this just pretty much trial and error? As far as the MAF...how would I check that. Measure voltage or what not? Thanks for your input and your continued input would be appreciated.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:32 AM
Elder Member

Default You can check it with a vag.

yes it is just trial and error when you swap parts around.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yup, I have the same prob....

I misfire every now and then while idling. Probably once a month, I've had AWE clear it for me once. I will prob. go back to them next chance I get, I've got a CEL on now. I never had it happen w/ my x-chip, I thought it was something in the KO4 software. But I guess this proves otherwise. Let me know if you find the problem, your the only other A6 I've heard w/ this issue. I'll do the same.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Yup, I have the same prob....

Will do. I haven't had the chance to really investigate it since I am out of town. I think it's mechanical and not software related. But I'm no tech expert. I'll see what I come up with.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have found another A6 w/ the same problem.....

Skidmark has an '01 AR, and he is also having similar issues. He is also running GIAC software, and actually he had major problems when the program was first installed. I went to AWE a few days ago, no tech's were in though. Mike said he'd call me to come in for some tuning on the issue. I'm going to check for vacume leaks in the mean time, since that always seems to have hand in most other problems. Can't hurt!
Old 06-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I have found another A6 w/ the same problem.....

yah when I first received my ECU from AWE, the car wouldn't even start. I sent it back and they gave me another chip and it worked fine. Till now anyway. Yah I looked to see if I could hear a vacuume leak or anything today....with no luck. I hear something hissing. Usually at first start up where its really loud and then quiets down when the car warms up. But still can be heard. You in PA? Keep me posted as to the results of your visit to AWE. Need to get this solved. It's starting to P me off....
Old 07-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Yup, I have the same prob....

Took the car to Commonwealth Audi in OC and they narrowed my misfire prob to temp sensor located towrds the top of my downpipes. Both were shorting. So far may car runs a lil better but I think I still have a slight misfire. Still havent changed my plugs!!