Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Modifed A4 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifed A4 Reliability

Hello All,

I posted this entry in the regular a4 forum but got poor resposes. I need information about high mileage modifed a4 turbos from people who know what they are talking about. I've changed the posting a bit for more clarity.

I am considering buying the original Sportwheels audi a4 featured in this reprint...not a knock off, this exact car.

https://www.audiworld.com/news/99/reprints/point8.shtml

I have owned many Audi's, but this will be my first A4...I want it to last.
This car has about 70,000 miles on it, and has been driven moderate to spirited for most of its life. Some enigne mods since the article was published include: the installation of ram air, a greedy turbo timer and boost controller. The owner runs it at .7 bar.

There are scratches on the rear deck (from of all things, a horse's teeth!), both
headlamps are cracked, and the rims are scratched. The Headlamps are estimated at $250 each, the deck bodywork is estimated to be a grand. Overall, the body is in good shape. The interior is immaculate and custom, gages, lights, etc...

The car is priced at $20,000. He claims to have spent 60k on the car, including all mods. However, he will remove the $12,000 dollar stereo system that it has in it right now.

Aside from a compression test, what other thing will a competent mechanic look for to judge the car's integrity? How long do these modified cars last? What can I do to extend its life (other than drive slow)? It sounds like a great deal, what do you think?

Any input is appreciated!
Thanks

Here is the write-up of this car:<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/news/99/reprints/point8.shtm">https://www.audiworld.com/news/99/reprints/point8.shtm</a</li></ul>
Old 10-30-2000, 10:57 PM

Default USE THIS LINK!

sorry, the first link was missing a letter<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/news/99/reprints/point8.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/news/99/reprints/point8.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 10-30-2000, 11:23 PM

Default My advice.

Is to not do it. I feel strongly that a boost controler should not be used on these cars with the stock small turbo. Chip tuners fade top end boost off for a reason. With a boost controler the boost is not faded. There is no telling what its been through. I would think long and hard about weather I beleived him about running only .7 bar...

Why not find a stock car and then invest money making it the way you want it.

Clark
Old 10-30-2000, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I second MC's sentiments...

That car looks highly suspect to me...there are much better deals out there. Just the way that whole article reads would make me disinterested in that car in a hurry.

Look on autotrader.com there are plenty of modded A4's if that's what you want...I sold my old A4 1999 with 35K on the clock with tons of mods for 24k you can see it at www.geocities.com/jrpsl it was pretty nice...but the new one should be even better...

Regards,

James R.

2001 A4 1.8TQMSXP (Oettinger Pedals, Oettinger RE's 17x8 Yoko AVS Sports 225/45/R17, Euro Xenon Housings, Bailey BPV, MC Intake and RS4 Grille)
Old 10-31-2000, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default $30k on mods???

I'm not sure what was spent on what but it doesn't seem like a good deal especially compared to what JamesR sold for $24k.

Plus the decals (if they are still on the car) are pretty lame.

-Don
1999 1.8TQM
(APR 1 bar, Borla catback, MC BPV, H&R/Bilsteins, 17" Ace Lolas)
Old 10-31-2000, 05:22 AM
CK

Default I love my Audi. But I'm not willing to drive around in a rolling billboard.

It'll be hard to be discreet in that car. You and an M5 "race" past a speed trap; who is the cop going to ticket? (of course, the M5 will be several car lengths ahead and quickly pulling away.)

As others have said, be VERY cautious of the mechanicals in the car. If the owner set the car to look like boy-racer, why wouldn't he drive it that way?
Old 10-31-2000, 08:53 AM

Third. Untruths, prevarications, and lies. Buy a nice car and mod it yourself.
Old 10-31-2000, 10:00 AM

Thanks everyone I'll keep ya posted...and JamesR, you alrady sold it? damn.
Old 11-01-2000, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Run, don't walk, away... (more)

1) The car sounds like it was thrashed...a caring owner does not let bad scratches and broken headlights go, they fix that stuff. Plus, it was a press car...these guys drive cars HARD (and they comment about it all the time in their articles).

2) The price is completely unrealistic. Let's face it, it's at LEAST a 98...probably a 97. Four year old A4's are going for far less, regardless of mods. Another thing...none of us mod our cars to boost resale, we recognize the fact that we will not gain any value by altering the car from stock (we're just making the car 'better' for US). Ask anyone who has sold a modded car...you do NOT recoup your costs (you may get SOME value if you sell to an enthusiast, but you're not going to get the "$10k I put into it")

3) How can someone claim a part adds value, but remove it when you buy it? I'm talking about the stereo here...if he's going to count that into the value calculation, it sure as hell better be in the car when you hand him the check.

4) The engine mods listed go for a grand total of about $1000...not a whole heck of a lot ($400 chip, $270 'ram air', $100 turbo timer, $? boost control...but as noted it is NOT recommended on these engines). You'd be better off getting a 99-99.5 for around the same $$ and putting in a GIAC or APR chip (more power too!). You can do MC's intake for $270 later, and an exhaust when you collect the cash for it. Plus, you won't have any fears about any additional stress to the engine, as it has not been modded until you get your grubby little hands on it!

5) I second the opinion that it will be a cop magnet. The only exterior mod I had on my 99.5 was 18" wheels, and even THAT grabbed the eye of many a cop. If you want a flashy, fast car...get one (a Supra or RX7 or something...you can get a '96 Vette with <30k mi for around $20k). Part of the beauty of the A4 is that it is a Q-ship, it doesn't LOOK like the beast that it is. Discrete performance is always preferable. Of course, if you are only interested in appearance, disregard this last bit!

Just my $.02...good luck with your shopping!

CD
Old 11-04-2000, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yep sold to a kit in NY sight unseen...one dealer inspection and it was on a truck to NY w/o so much

as a test drive...nuts ehh. Anyhow it as a super solid car so I don't have any regrets about selling it to him...you may see him here from time to time...KingJester is his handle.

Regards,

James R.

2001 A4 1.8TQMSXP (Oettinger Pedals, Oettinger RE's 17x8 Yoko AVS Sports 225/45/R17, Euro Xenon Housings, Bailey BPV, MC Intake and RS4 Grille)