Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Remote oil filter mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 09:29 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote oil filter mount

I just got a remote oil filter mount. Is there any limitation to what orientation I can mount the filter? Can I mount it rightside up (like stock) or upside down (with the threads pointing down)?

Man, this is gonna make changing my oil a breeze.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Unless you want oil spilling everywhere when you do an oil change...

I would mount it so that the bottom of the oil filter is pointing down.
Old 03-19-2002, 03:03 PM
Former Vendor

Default You sure?

If the filter is mounted higher than the pan, and mounted upside down (bottom end up), when you shut the engine down, won't the oil drail out of the filter and into the engine? Thus, when you go to unscrew the filter, it'll be empty. No?

Then again, if I mount it right side up, also higher than the oil pan, oil should drain from the rubber lines, down into the pan, leaving a full, filter, but not overflowing.

Hmm....You see what I'm getting at here?
Old 03-19-2002, 03:47 PM
CMH

Default Well I dont think you want an empty oil filter when you start up the car.

I think it will just take longer for the oil to get to the top to go thru the motor.
Old 03-19-2002, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Can you do a write up of this for those of us who don't have enough ***** to experiment?

I'm not talking about me. Just generally speaking.

;-)
Old 03-19-2002, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

youre going to screw in a new filter with oil in it =)
Old 03-19-2002, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i would if i took pics of the parts. since there is really nothing to disassemble i thought a faq

wasnt necessary.

1) assemble replacement fitting to replace oil filter (it has in/out labels). use teflon on hose fittings. install.
2) install hoses. you have to determine where to mount the filter and measure your new oil hoses. clamp the hoses.
3) assemble the remote filter bracket/filter receptacle. fill filter with oil. install filter. install filter bracket (i chose the snub mount plate bracket. i remove it first, drilled & bolted the filter bracket). connect other end of the hoses(note in/out). clamp.

FYI. the kit comes with a detailed instruction in english and espanol. you want a scan?
Old 03-20-2002, 07:14 AM
Former Vendor

Hmm, most convincing argument I thought of also..
Old 03-20-2002, 07:16 AM
Former Vendor

Default I suppose

But like WYSIWYG says, it's pretty straightfoward. I'll take a picture of the kit, perhaps that will shed some light on the simplicity of the install.
Old 03-20-2002, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Easiest way to a mess free oil change...

...First, remove the hose from the throttle body. Second, get an oil wrench in from the top and loosen it (but don't loosen it so much that the o-ring loses contact with the housing). Then, get a 1 gallon Ziploc freezer bag and slide it up underneath the filter so that the zip portion is up around the cooler housing (the aluminum thing that the oil filter mounts to). Then all you need to do is unscrew the filter using the bottom part of the bag. Drop the filter into the bag and pull it up. Zip it up and dispose of accordingly (I like to pour it all over my neighbor's lawn hoping his yelping beagle will eat the oil and meet an untimely death).

Mike O.

Quick Reply: Remote oil filter mount