Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

suspension install question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2000, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension install question

Merry Christmas all! ok, I got Bilsteins & Neuspeed race springs for x-mas, yay! My question is this, is there anything in particular to watch for when installing? My hubby will do the install(he has exp. with suspesion on street cars as well as off-road racing trucks and buggies) just wondering if there are any helpful hints anyone has to offer.

Thanks,
Jewel

btw, it's a 2001 1.8TQM
Old 12-26-2000, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Julie,Nick on our board has the A4s manual and he was nice enough to offer his help if I ever get

coilovers, and he look thru the manual and he said it shouldnt be too hard for him. I have access to hydralic lift in torrance near LAX with all the tools u will ever need. Ask Nick(silver S4) if he can help out, and let me know if u want to borrow my buddies shop for the install, no charge!

John.
Old 12-27-2000, 07:06 AM

Default Couple tips...

If you can put the whole vehicle up on a lift (4 wheels off ground) it is easier to push the hubs down far enough to remove and install the "strut" assembly. Otherwise remove the swaybars at the hubs.

You dont need to separate the front lower trailing arms as described in the manual. Without the right tool, removing that is a pain and will likely damage the boot. You can twist and push things about enough to remove and install the lower strut bolt without removing the trailing arm.

Observe the alignment of the shock and spring to each other and the mounting points before disassembling the strut and try to get the new ones back in this arrangement. I think the Bilstein's bottom mounts pivot which makes precise pre-adjustment unnecessary, but if yours dont, you have to get the top and bottom angles exactly right before releasing the spring compression or it wont go back into the car and cant be turned.