Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Flat-bottom sport steering wheel installed (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flat-bottom sport steering wheel installed (PICS)

I kind of buried these photos in amongst all the other Audi & Porsche photos in the other thread, so I thought I'd post just my Mods here.

Had my Hawk Performance Ceramic brakes put on yesterday. Spent about 10-15 minutes burnishing them in afterward, making some controlled & hard stops at speeds of 30-45 mph. They feel just perfect. No more quick bites when you tap the brakes. They are smooth, and do not need a ton of pressure at all to engage them like some others have said. They brake smooth and efficiently, IMO.

I also had my new S-Line facelift flat-bottom sport steering wheel & airbag installed. It looks great. It has the titanium gray single-stitching (double not available on this wheel). All of the functions work properly (back-lit and all), plug and play with any B8 chassis Audi. Only button I was curious about was the "iNAV" button that is on this wheel, but not on the Q5 original wheel. This button does nothing when pressed. I was king of hoping it would be a quick button to get to the map or something (although all you have to do is hit the voice recognition button and say map, not really hard).

Maybe it needs VAG-COM to work, IDK. If anyone knows the function of this button and what it does, let me know!

Alright, on to the pics!

Name:  IMAG0792.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  91.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0793.jpg
Views: 2058
Size:  112.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0788.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  76.7 KB

Last edited by ThunderDent; 05-26-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great! Very sporty. Where did you buy the steering wheel? And was the install easy?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I sourced that wheel from Alex at Europrice. It is classed as a facelift wheel, not sure if it's standard on any model or not.

I had the dealer install. Wanted to make sure it was done correctly.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any pics of the mods you did your Q5 (exterior)? I'm looking to do a few mods as well...did the dealer do a majority of your mods...or was it DIY? Thanks!

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
I kind of buried these photos in amongst all the other Audi & Porsche photos in the other thread, so I thought I'd post just my Mods here.

Had my Hawk Performance Ceramic brakes put on yesterday. Spent about 10-15 minutes burnishing them in afterward, making some controlled & hard stops at speeds of 30-45 mph. They feel just perfect. No more quick bites when you tap the brakes. They are smooth, and do not need a ton of pressure at all to engage them like some others have said. They brake smooth and efficiently, IMO.

I also had my new S-Line facelift flat-bottom sport steering wheel & airbag installed. It looks great. It has the titanium gray single-stitching (double not available on this wheel). All of the functions work properly (back-lit and all), plug and play with any B8 chassis Audi. Only button I was curious about was the "iNAV" button that is on this wheel, but not on the Q5 original wheel. This button does nothing when pressed. I was king of hoping it would be a quick button to get to the map or something (although all you have to do is hit the voice recognition button and say map, not really hard).

Maybe it needs VAG-COM to work, IDK. If anyone knows the function of this button and what it does, let me know!

Alright, on to the pics!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
I sourced that wheel from Alex at Europrice. It is classed as a facelift wheel, not sure if it's standard on any model or not.

I had the dealer install. Wanted to make sure it was done correctly.
I couldn't find it in their website. How much is it?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You just have to email him and he'll give you the other options. It's not a standard wheel. Not sure where else you can source this one.

Pretty sure it was around $1600 for the wheel & airbag combo.

The exterior should be done in a couple of months. Have to get the stuff painted still. It'll be up soon. Patience grasshopper. I know I don't have it, but I try.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As far as who will do/has done what:

Sourcing: Bill at genuineaudiparts.com, Alex at Europrice, BKS Tuning, tirerack.com

Dealer: Brakes install, steering wheel install

Body shop: will be doing paint & exterior bumper/mouldings install

Custom shop: painted brake calipers

DIY: Shifter & Boot install (coming soon hopefully)
Old 05-26-2012, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

$1600 for a steering wheel.... Ouch. Never mind. Looks awesome though.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You might be able to find it cheaper, idk. I didn't know where else to get it from at the time, so I just did.

I do know when I looked into the airbags alone at the dealership they were $800.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Steering wheel: 8K0 419 09 1CN (IXC)

Airbag: 8K0 880 201 AE 6PS 06S

Here are the part numbers. See if you can source them cheaper. This was one of the first items I purchased, and Europrice was the only place I knew of at the time. It was easy though working with Alex. He made sure I got the correct wheel I was looking for.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Flat-bottom sport steering wheel installed (PICS)