Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Heated steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heated steering wheel?

Anyone here ever investigated/retrofitted a heated steering wheel? Here in Canada it can get pretty cold. My mom's cayenne has heated wheel and it's amazing!

The Q7 has a heated steering wheel so I find it weird even in 2014 it is not even AVAILABLE...

Any clue how much this would cost? Does the wiring/system already exist or would it be quite a difficult thing to get a heated wheel for the Q5?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
Anyone here ever investigated/retrofitted a heated steering wheel? Here in Canada it can get pretty cold. My mom's cayenne has heated wheel and it's amazing!

The Q7 has a heated steering wheel so I find it weird even in 2014 it is not even AVAILABLE...

Any clue how much this would cost? Does the wiring/system already exist or would it be quite a difficult thing to get a heated wheel for the Q5?

On models that were produced on the same platform, A4, A5, Q5 does not exist the possibility of installing heated steering wheel.
It is theoretically possible, but only in theory. Need new module:
-control unit for information electronics
-central electronic control unit
-onboard supply control unit
-electronic control module for heater

Last edited by spijun; 09-15-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you can get heated steering wheel with Prestige package. I find this a little irritating given the fact that a Premium Plus model can easily eclipse the $50K price point. One would think this would be a standard option at this level. But I've seen similar things in other brands. Or example my 2011 LR4 HSE ($55k MSRP) doesn't have seat memory settings! Have to step up to the HSE LUX. Doesn't make sense.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

It's about the marketing. In subsequent years, as new features are added to the top trims, the exclusive features found there sometimes migrate down to the lesser trims. There are also cost considerations and in order for a manufacturer to hit certain price points, some features will be omitted.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It's about the marketing. In subsequent years, as new features are added to the top trims, the exclusive features found there sometimes migrate down to the lesser trims. There are also cost considerations and in order for a manufacturer to hit certain price points, some features will be omitted.
Yes there will always be a feature or two, with any vehicle, that you have to go up a trim level or two to get. One just has to determine if the particular one they want is one of those nice to haves vs. need to have.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PaddysPub
I believe you can get heated steering wheel with Prestige package. I find this a little irritating given the fact that a Premium Plus model can easily eclipse the $50K price point. One would think this would be a standard option at this level. But I've seen similar things in other brands. Or example my 2011 LR4 HSE ($55k MSRP) doesn't have seat memory settings! Have to step up to the HSE LUX. Doesn't make sense.
At least here in Canada is not even an option at all
Old 09-15-2013, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe you can get heated steering wheel with Prestige package.
And where did you get this info?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
At least here in Canada is not even an option at all
The answer is simple: Nowhere in the world, any market there is no optional heated steering wheel for the Q5, A4, A5 - cars on the same platform
Not one package has no option heated steering wheel
No option of heating the wheel and will not be until the arrival of the new model 2015

Last edited by spijun; 09-15-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps I am mistaken. Maybe mynSales person told me you can getmthemheatednsteeringnwheel on the Q7. I thought he said it was available on Q5 Prestige. But again I may have been mistaken.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Perhaps I am mistaken. Maybe mynSales person told me you can getmthemheatednsteeringnwheel on the Q7. I thought he said it was available on Q5 Prestige. But again I may have been mistaken.
Maybe Your Salesman thought about this

or

or

Last edited by spijun; 09-16-2013 at 05:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Heated steering wheel?