Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Seat warmers - noticeable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love mine. While they are not as strong as the seat heaters in our Ford F450--by a long shot--they are still noticeable and I never have to turn them DOWN!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not sure why Audi turn down the heated seats on some car but not on others. My 2012 A6 is really really hot on the high setting. The Q5 on the hand, is much weaker. I would say the Q5 on the highest setting is the equvilent of the A6 on the lowest setting. I just dont understand why the Q5 have 6 settings and only the highest setting is useful.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am not sure why Audi turn down the heated seats on some car but not on others. My 2012 A6 is really really hot on the high setting. The Q5 on the hand, is much weaker. I would say the Q5 on the highest setting is the equvilent of the A6 on the lowest setting. I just dont understand why the Q5 have 6 settings and only the highest setting is useful.
My 2012 S4 is the same way. The heated seats work way better in the S4 than on my wifes 2012 Q5...
Old 12-15-2011, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by James P.
My 2012 S4 is the same way. The heated seats work way better in the S4 than on my wifes 2012 Q5...
This seems very strange, why the variation between models!?! As mentioned, my seat heat on level 6 is barely noticeable in my 2012 Q5, I talked to service at dealer today and they gave me answer I suspected.." Its because they were too hot, lawsuits, all models are affected blah, blah, blah " Not a great excuse and dissapointing to say the least. I live in Canada and -30C days are not uncommon, don't give me a luke warm heat seat. Oh yeah, they now call it a seat warmer.
If anyone has had any success in getting the heat to go hotter either through dealer or other method let me know.
Thanks.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If we can get a wiring diagram we can figure out where the resistance is and what the power going through the heater is...
A seat heater is just a wire with a resistance on it that heats up due to the power
i.e. increase the power and the seat heats up

or change the resistor... or...

the six levels of heat can still control it... just at a lower number...
what was 6 may now be 3 etc....
Old 12-15-2011, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wreck111
Cars made after June of 09 had the heaters lowered according to the rep I spoke with. He said if they get enough complaints Audi will look into it, SURE!
Did he happen to say just how many complaints would be "enough"?
There seems to be quite a few on this board alone. I've posted a quite a bit about this already so I won't take up any more space. There is one new development to add however. The back of the driver's seat seems to have stopped working altogether, I can't feel any heat at all there even without a coat. The bottom heater still makes it's pathetic little attempt at heating and then backs down. Another trip to the dealer. They said everything was working normally. They said they could feel the heat on the back part of the seat just fine. I guess my nerve endings must have quit working.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Same here!

Originally Posted by jjandersonn
The seat warmers in our 2012 are barely noticeable. Delearship said they turned the heat down on the newer Q5s. They are terrible in my opinion; it's the only thing I don't like about our Q5 so far. I never even thought to test them on the test drive given how great the heaters are in my VW GTI. In a cold climate good seat heaters are great because they tend to heat up very quckly, ie. well before the heater starts giving out any real heat.
The only thing that disappoints about my '12 Q5 are the seat heaters. My previous recent cars, Porsche Cayman S, BMW Z4, Mazda RX-8 and my wife's current CLS 500 all had/have terrific seat heaters. I completed a survey sent by Audi after I bought the Q5 and noted how weak they were. Audi called and I elaborated. I was told that they received complaints in 2008 about them (a suit perhaps) after which they reduced the heat. That implies to me that there must be a way to increase the heat, a rheostat perhaps, but I was told further that there was no way to improve the situation. You'd think with 6 levels (the Porsche had 2, the Benz has only 3) there would be some way to improve. Where I live I don't have a really strong need, but the heat was really soothing on my back during a long trip.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, if there is a way to reduce the heat levels, there must be a relatively easy way to increase it. I'm sure Audi didn't change the wiring in just the Q5. You'd think automotive genius out there would've found a way to plug in a computer and change a number in some program parameter.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had the same issue with the heated seats in my 2012 Q5. My neighbor just bought a new 2012 Q5 as well so I checked out whether they had the same problem. I drove their car around with the heat at Level 6 and it was much hotter than my car at Level 6. Toastier than I would like in fact. So when I took my car in to get it looked at the mechanic asked what temperature I set for the passenger compartment and what the temperature setting was for my neighbor's car. Mine was at 68 and my neighbor's was at "HI". The mechanic said that was the reason for the difference. The heated seats are designed to get hotter when the inside temperature is set higher. I tested it on my Q5 and it turns out to be true.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jrhubbs
I had the same issue with the heated seats in my 2012 Q5. My neighbor just bought a new 2012 Q5 as well so I checked out whether they had the same problem. I drove their car around with the heat at Level 6 and it was much hotter than my car at Level 6. Toastier than I would like in fact. So when I took my car in to get it looked at the mechanic asked what temperature I set for the passenger compartment and what the temperature setting was for my neighbor's car. Mine was at 68 and my neighbor's was at "HI". The mechanic said that was the reason for the difference. The heated seats are designed to get hotter when the inside temperature is set higher. I tested it on my Q5 and it turns out to be true.
I'm going to go try this right now...

Quick Reply: Seat warmers - noticeable?