Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 - heated seats not that heated?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 01:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without any other modifications. All agreed 91 is still not warm enough but better than 81
Old 09-27-2018, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JARothman
Met with service manager and the dealership general manager today. They used the heat gun comparing my car, built in 12/2017 and another car built in 7/2018. The later built car got to 91 degrees on driver side, mine hovered around 81. They are keeping my car to do some more research into getting the seats warmer. They think now it may be the computer control in the seats, the later built cars have a different controller. They will try to get updated controls to put in my car. Will update as they tell me. Have to say getting the general manager involved really moved things along.
Where are they measuring the heat? Surface of the seat, or at the heating element underneath? It's warm outside here, but I gave mine a try and it was comfortable but not really "hot" like my previous car. Given the ambient temperature, I'm inclined to think mine's not warm enough, and it's a recent build. Would like to see if it's performing to their standards.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They had to shoot the gun all over my drivers seat to get the reading. It was not consistent. The newer car didn't need that, it was consistent all around.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

They had to shoot the gun all over my drivers seat to get the reading. It was not consistent. The newer car didn't need that, it was consistent all around.
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I'll see if I can get a temp reading myself this weekend. If not, I'll add it to my list of items to ask the dealer about. Glad to see they're going to try and help you out. That's encouraging.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

@JARothman Any updates on their attempts to improve your seat tempts? Car is in for some things and if there's a possible improvement for this I'd like to mention it to them.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fixed!

They finally replaced my seat bottom about a month ago; they called it the “seat cover”, but it was actually the whole foam/cushion/whatever else is in there, and now it works great. If I compare to my wife’s A4, it’s still not quite as absolutely hot, but it’s still pretty good. When I put it on level 3 now, I have to turn it down to level 2 after about 10 minutes, and then to level 1 about 20 minutes after that. Perfect.

It took a year of complaining, but finally fixed. So just keep pushing on your dealer... there is a replacement, and it works!
Old 11-11-2018, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jprouette
They finally replaced my seat bottom about a month ago; they called it the “seat cover”, but it was actually the whole foam/cushion/whatever else is in there, and now it works great. If I compare to my wife’s A4, it’s still not quite as absolutely hot, but it’s still pretty good. When I put it on level 3 now, I have to turn it down to level 2 after about 10 minutes, and then to level 1 about 20 minutes after that. Perfect.

It took a year of complaining, but finally fixed. So just keep pushing on your dealer... there is a replacement, and it works!
That's fantastic! Would you mind PMing me the work order? Looking for comments on the issue and what was done to fix it. Based on my talk with the tech he was basically telling me I'd have to suck it up, as many Audi's over the years have sporadically had this issue.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2018, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by umdstu
@JARothman Any updates on their attempts to improve your seat tempts? Car is in for some things and if there's a possible improvement for this I'd like to mention it to them.
They replaced my seat. I was firm in my request that it be fixed, I got the dealership GM into the conversation and they made the decision to replace the seat. The old one only got warm to about 85 degrees so it was very apparent the seat was not working up to reasonable expectations. The newer seats are being made to heat higher. It still isn’t as hot as my former Lexus, I put this one on level 3 and leave it there, but it’s better than it was.

Good luck, don't give up. I was planning to pursue the Lemon law if they didn't fix it and I’m sure I would have won.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

They replaced my seat. I was firm in my request that it be fixed, I got the dealership GM into the conversation and they made the decision to replace the seat. The old one only got warm to about 85 degrees so it was very apparent the seat was not working up to reasonable expectations. The newer seats are being made to heat higher. It still isn’t as hot as my former Lexus, I put this one on level 3 and leave it there, but it’s better than it was.

Good luck, don't give up. I was planning to pursue the Lemon law if they didn't fix it and I’m sure I would have won.

Thanks for the update! Do you have a work order picture you could share? Looking to be as specific as possible when I go-to them to reduce then wasting my time!

Thanks
Old 11-13-2018, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They never gave me a work order. Honestly I was treated like a VIP during the whole process. I was very nice but firm in that my car was going to get repaired one way or another. "We can do this the easy way or we can do this the hard way.” Luckily they recognized that Audi knows there is a problem so they did what they had to do to make it right.

Quick Reply: 2018 Q5 - heated seats not that heated?