Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q 2.0T Major Faults

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Q 2.0T Major Faults

We bought a brand new 2018 q5 in mid March so far we have been towed twice ( one a VERY long tow ) and have limped into service 2 other times once we got the car working again . All the same issue.
The car starts each time then has numerous faults scroll through the screen and won’t change into gear .
Not a safe situation to have , especially if you have a family on board .

The faults are as followed
Safety system malfunction
Stability control malfunction
Start/stop malfunction
Speed control inoperable
Audi Presense malfunction
Drive system malfunction
Airbags off

If lucky the car may start a couple hours later .
The car has been repaired at 3 different Audi dealers and one VW dealer . Still continues to shutdown .

If if anyone has had these issues it would be great to hear from you .
Or if anyone knows a good way to contact Audi Germany that would also be great .
All the service centres have been very accommodating here across Canada .
On the other hand Audi Canada has been atrocious , the contempt they have for their customers is unbelievable. We have been told we have a warranty and to refer to the manual which says they will tow it and “repair” it for the next 4 years .
Old 06-21-2018, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Whats the lemon law in canada/ your province?
Old 06-21-2018, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Lemon laws

Unfortunately Canada doesn’t have Lemon Laws but there is an arbitration board . That’s our next step as Audi Canada has been dismal . It’s quite dissapointing as a supposed “prestige “ brand the way they have handled this . After owning BMW’s and Range Rover’s this was a huge mistake , we had problems with a BMW but they couldn’t do enough for us until the problem was remedied . Audi will not put anything in writing and are not even returning phone calls . Our problem , our $70 000 problem .
Old 06-21-2018, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I think you have a isolated case since this forum is not full of these issues. You should proceed with your letter to AC that you believe you have a lemon. They might agree with you if it happens a third time and hopefully they will get you in a new vehicle.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Lemon

We have tried but unfortunately they kept apologising and told us to refer to the manual . Which is they will tow and “repair “ for the rest of our warranty (4 years) Our salesperson has tried to escalate our issue but to no avail .
Old 06-21-2018, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Audicitron
We have tried but unfortunately they kept apologising and told us to refer to the manual . Which is they will tow and “repair “ for the rest of our warranty (4 years) Our salesperson has tried to escalate our issue but to no avail .
Is this and intermittant issue...I mean, is it recurring on a daily, weekly or monthly basis? Just not clear from your posts whether these described issues are currently happening, or do they go away and then come back?

And as you probably are aware, be sure to keep a detailed log of each event, and each communication about each event. Try to force communication by email if you can. One method to achieve this is to write a confirming email to the person involved at some point in the dispute that recites past events or verbal statement made by that person that puts that person in a poor light. Recipients of such confirming emails are usually reluctant to let your rendition of the events go without a written response for fear that a non response will be a tacit admission on their part of the poor or improper treatment referred to in your confirming email. Be sure your email makes clear that further communications are to be by email, and cc anyone involved.

Not saying this will move the needle for you...nor that the response(s) will be one where the person concurs with the events, statements, etc recited in your email. But it does convey your intent to establish a record for use in future proceedings -if this escalates to a whole new level. And it is not uncommon for those responses to create inconsistencies that ultimately prove beneficial in any future dispute resolution process you end up in.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm pretty clueless mechanically but your symptoms sound a bit like a mistake I made on my Q5 a while back when changing a spare.

Under the cargo floor, to the right of the inflatable tire compressor, there is a battery-looking thing with some 2 or 3 wires and a soft pipe coming out of it into a hole in the floor, I took the pipe out of the hole by mistake when I changed my spare tire and my dash lit up like a xmas tree with a lot of the warnings you mentioned. I put the pipe back in and the warnings went away. I'm (again) no mechanic and not sure if that's already been checked by the dealers but just wondering it that might be the cause of your problems.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Fault

The car is actually in the shop now for the 4th time , last time it was in for over a week . They keep changing electronic parts to no avail , AC will not even acknowledge us anymore . We were dealing with them and had told them to stop saying sorry to us and move us up the chain to someone who could actually make decisions . They obviously didn’t like that as now they have dropped us totally . We have been polite and respectful till now , we are really dissapointed with Audi Canada corporate for not standing behind their product . The staff at the garages have been excellent I do have to say . But unfortunately they can’t make the big decision that this car is a lemon .
Old 06-22-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Start taking this to social media. Companies hate getting negative attention via Facebook, Twitter etc. Dealing with them one on one no one knows, theres no negative publicity and even here is pretty low key. Put a name to a face and start posting publicly and they work a little harder. Had a similar experience with Mercedes Canada, got no action til I went on their facebook page.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Meduat

We have tried the social media pathway but am going to sound like Trump but it’s all fake news .
We posted negative things on Audi’s platform , they responded by asking us to private message them and then we responded we have contacted them . But were waiting on them to get back to us , then our negative comments dissapeared off the social media platform .

Quick Reply: 2018 Q 2.0T Major Faults