Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Can you help verify winter wheels size

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might want to check out this thread on winter sets from last year...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...setup-2936255/

When I went to Achtuning to get my wheels, my SQ5 was the first 2018 they had in the shop, so they did a lot of measuring, made a template, and tried on a bunch of different wheels and offsets. The front brake calipers on the 2018 SQ5 are much smaller than the first gen SQ5, so even the 17" rim they tried cleared them. Just be aware of the inside wheel/tire clearance. Hartmann wheels also use R13 wheel bolts vs. the R14 that Audi OEM wheels use, so if you go with Hartmann, you will need to buy another set of wheel bolts for your winter set.

Winter tires are typically recommended to go with a more narrow tread so that the tire will "bite" better into the deep snow/slush.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chingwodapigu
You might want to check out this thread on winter sets from last year...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...setup-2936255/

When I went to Achtuning to get my wheels, my SQ5 was the first 2018 they had in the shop, so they did a lot of measuring, made a template, and tried on a bunch of different wheels and offsets. The front brake calipers on the 2018 SQ5 are much smaller than the first gen SQ5, so even the 17" rim they tried cleared them. Just be aware of the inside wheel/tire clearance. Hartmann wheels also use R13 wheel bolts vs. the R14 that Audi OEM wheels use, so if you go with Hartmann, you will need to buy another set of wheel bolts for your winter set.

Winter tires are typically recommended to go with a more narrow tread so that the tire will "bite" better into the deep snow/slush.
ty
Old 07-21-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, while the TireRack-perscribed tires for 19x8.5 wheels on the 2018 SQ5 are 255/50R19, you can use 235/55R19 tires as well (I checked with TireRack). If you do, the speedometer will be off by 0.5 mph at 70 mph, so not a bad “cost” for having a narrower, slightly wider tire that should theoretically do better in the snow.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by foxmoor
So, while the TireRack-perscribed tires for 19x8.5 wheels on the 2018 SQ5 are 255/50R19, you can use 235/55R19 tires as well (I checked with TireRack). If you do, the speedometer will be off by 0.5 mph at 70 mph, so not a bad “cost” for having a narrower, slightly wider tire that should theoretically do better in the snow.

I think I would rather take the additional traction on ice and frozen street 255 than the added benefit of going through a deep snow 235. But it’s great to know the options thanks for the post
Old 07-21-2018, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

235/55 R19 is the size which comes with the Audi OEM winter package. Yes, the narrower tire has better traction.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spindlewood
235/55 R19 is the size which comes with the Audi OEM winter package. Yes, the narrower tire has better traction.
Sorry how do narrower tires have better traction? If we are speaking what tire is better for going through deep snow then yes narrow tire is better since lower resistance, but no narrower tire has better traction then there equal counterpart.

or am I missing something?

Last edited by KaDeTime; 07-21-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KaDeTime

Sorry how do narrower tires have better traction? If we are speaking what tire is better for going through deep snow then yes narrow tire is better since lower resistance, but no narrower tire has better traction then there equal counterpart.

or am I missing something?

Yes, you're missing something - https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/hunte...ter-for-winter
Old 07-21-2018, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2018_SQ5

Why do people not read the entire article especially if they are going to quote or spread misinformation...

From your own link

“The reason for this is that traction is achieved in winter by cutting through the ice and snow. With wider tread, you're more likely to start snow plowing or floating on top of the surface instead of pushing down and through. This floating will result in loss of traction sooner than with a thinner or narrower option. A good way to picture this is imagine a pizza cutter slicing through a pizza.”

Exactly as I stated the narrower tire is only better when you go through deep snow, wider tire = wider contact more traction.

My % of driving through deep snow will be 2% versus 98% of cold ice conditions in the winter I will take the wider contact.

Please read the entire post or give people full story when trying to help others.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
the narrower tire is only better when you go through deep snow, wider tire = wider contact more traction.

My % of driving through deep snow will be 2% versus 98% of cold ice conditions in the winter I will take the wider contact..
Be careful with the quick conclusion. Consensus of web opinions is that even on ice or shallow snow, narrow is better. There are hundreds of articles and discussions on the topic. Very few comparative studies - I can't find the one definitive study I read. Will try to post later with it.

multiple factors are at play. Pressure per sq in of the contact patch as well as the shape of that patch. I don't want to reproduce details of other discussions but I encourage more time reading.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
Be careful with the quick conclusion. Consensus of web opinions is that even on ice or shallow snow, narrow is better. There are hundreds of articles and discussions on the topic. Very few comparative studies - I can't find the one definitive study I read. Will try to post later with it.

multiple factors are at play. Pressure per sq in of the contact patch as well as the shape of that patch. I don't want to reproduce details of other discussions but I encourage more time reading.
i have seen the same info but was too lazy to look and didn’t want to open this can of worms. Urban legends on tire width like these have a life of their own. One additional factor is the type of tire and tread. Studless snow vs Studded vs Mud and Snow. Then within those are the how well they perform. The difference in performance within a group often exceeds the difference between wide vs narrow. Other factors to consider are the improvements made in a tire brand since tests are last year and new compounds are introduced periodically. Another factor is different tires by the same manufacturer! For example, here are several Blizzacks with different characteristics.
I agree with you on ice being the most important factor in a winter tire. A miniscule improvement in deep snow at most might keep you from getting stuck. An Audi Quattro will probably go in deep snow until it high centers
dragging the undercarriage. But better performance if you hit a patch of black ice may save your life.
Edit: The Michelin Xi2; Haka’s and Blizzack in a studless do a good job on 20” wheels with factory 20” spec tires. I have 20” Mich. and ran them last winter-they work very well on all snow and ice, are quiet and appear to be wearing well. I have M’s on my truck and much larger tires but similar results. There may be a few feet difference in stopping distance or slight difference in traction but they get the job done well.

Last edited by Ron.S; 07-22-2018 at 05:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Can you help verify winter wheels size